Essence of War Patrols: Workbench - model collecting, building and Work In Progress!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Essence of War Patrols: Workbench - model collecting, building and Work In Progress!

Well, then: Patrols!

Those nice little pre-made rosters that allow you to play the basic game of Essence of War with only 3 units and a character.

I personally find them quite inspirational to collect & paint a few models for an army and relatively quickly have something playable on the tabletop.

So this thread is for people to discuss what they are collecting, show pics of what they have in progress modelling and painting etc and just the general nice "WIP" type of thread specifically for folks working on Patrols (since FB factions get their own thread for this kind of thing! :D ).

Of course once you get a Patrol finished off, don't hesitate to get the best photos of it you can and post 'em in this "finished models" thread too :)
      Essence of War - picture gallery

Essence of War Team

Product Search Team

Social Media Team

My gaming website: Agoners | | My gaming twitter: Agoners Gaming | | Contributor at: Collecting Green
      Sheffield, UK | | Essence of War - Give Us Your Feedback!! |

The post was edited 1 time, last by Remy77077 ().

• For my own beloved OnG, their EoW Patrol roster has slightly changed from the old premade list I had painted up for the previous Quickstarter...
      Now I know the full OnG Patrol hasn't been published formally yet in the download section, however it WAS spoilered here in the spoiler thread:
      Essence of War - spoilers & feedback
      so now it's ok to talk about it :D

EoW units are actually designed to be deliberately model-friendly and a bit purposefully 'generic' in the unit names. The list has "Orcs" and "Goblins" as units so, realistically, any correctly based Orc or Goblin models would do absolutely fine for this, which is of course part of the idea behind EoW to allow people to make good use of whatever models they have...

However for those really into modelling, collecting and painting (like me!), you'll notice that certain weapon options are actually taken on these units. Some are clearly labelled in the case of missile weapons - for example, these Goblin have Bows (relatively ineffective though they may be! :D). But there are also other armour & weapon options that are 'baked into' their profiles. New players of course don't really need to worry about this at all, but for those of us who also play FB T9A (or in my case, want to, but haven't been able to thanks to a certain global pandemic you've perhaps heard about! :D ) it doesn't take too much work to figure out what 'weapons & armour' the unit would have were it 'scaled up' into it's FB equivalent unit. So this is something I'm quite into doing, and then trying to get my models to match that as closely as possible, for a completely unnecessary level of WYSIWYG for EoW :D

When it comes to the current OnG list, I already have most of the perfectly suiting models even when trying to match their more-precise FB equivalents. I have a few Common Orc Shaman models, I have Common Orcs with Spears & Shields, and I have Wolf Goblin Raiders with almost any weapon configuration already painted too.

However I don't have any Common Goblins with Bows & Shields whatsoever... so that's the next unit onto my workbench now.

Pics to follow, but the miniatures are likely going to be a strange mix of REALLY old GW/Citadel miniatures, as well as some really new First Legion miniatures, and maybe a few more thrown in besides... :D

Essence of War Team

Product Search Team

Social Media Team

My gaming website: Agoners | | My gaming twitter: Agoners Gaming | | Contributor at: Collecting Green

The post was edited 3 times, last by Remy77077 ().

• So here's what I'm starting out with on my desk...

Goblins! by Remy77077 (Agoners), on Flickr

I've got some ancient (& long out of print ofc) WFB 3rd edition plastic and metal Citadel Miniatures, as well as some brand new resin First Legion goblins here (still in the plastic bags from the kickstarter delivery). There's also a few of the mono pose long-OOP WFB 4th edition box set Cave Goblin archers I would quite like to make some extra use out of (as I have more of those than I will ever likely need as Cave Goblins!).

On plastic sprues I've got a reasonable selection of old out-of-print GW plastic Common Goblins sprues (I'm running out of some of the parts on these, but I still have enough to make plenty more for now - and yes these are the ones with the weirdly left-handed Archer parts!).

I've also got some new Shieldwolf Forest Goblins sprues (another awesome kickstarter that's now available for regular purchases) - and whilst I don't want to make Forest Goblins for this unit right now, some of these parts maybe very useful potentially. In addition I've got some of the (also new) North Star Military Models "Oathmark" Goblins, which do look quite different to the others but again, I might be able to mix some parts in even if I don't use them as full models potentially...
      In reserve, but not pictured, I've also got a bunch of the older out-of-print GW Cave Goblin sprues and parts available too (from both multi-part sprues and the 7th edition "The Battle for Skull Pass" box set), and maybe a few more useful bits if I need them.

If you're looking to get any of these yourself btw, all of the in-print models are listed in the OnG miniatures library here:
      Miniatures - Goblins

So let's see what I can come up with out of this hodge-podge of modelling possibilities! :D

I've decided I also want to make some kind of command options for the unit too.
      EoW has no specific rules for command models, so you're absolutely free to use them (or not) as you please, and as I think they look cool, I want to make them, even if they wouldn't be cost-effective in T9A Fantasy Battles. I've never yet made a plastic Common Goblin standard bearer, so that is first on my list. I do have some amazing Goblin command options from First Legion too, but I think I want to save them for a different future unit right now (although I always tend to make my command options somewhat interchangeable of course between different units).

Essence of War Team

Product Search Team

Social Media Team

• Hexed wrote:

I've somehow collected that wouldn't fit into my main armies. The patrols give me a chance for mini projects and help my friends get into the game
      This SO much for me too! I've got lots of old small collections of models that I've acquired over the many years that I am hoping to spruce up into a few Patrols lists.. of course I will post more pics here when I get to that :)

The WDG look really cool! All of those GW models are outside of my eras of mini collecting, so I don't recognise any of them at all. Got any plans for a painting scheme yet?
      I'm also noticing the sweet magnets in the mdf bases! Where did you get those from?

Essence of War Team

Product Search Team

Social Media Team

• Coming together a little bit :)

The First Legion goblins are SO detailed they are kind of crazy to be honest. One of these guys will definitely be the unit champion. It feels kind of a shame to relegate any of them to 'rank & file' guys but at least this way they will get used for something though :D

flic.kr/p/2kbURJS

Essence of War Team

Product Search Team

Social Media Team

• Extra Tiny Dudes! :D

Hopefully spoilers for the EoS in EoW (now there's two acronyms to watch out for!) won't be too far away :)

Essence of War Team

Product Search Team

Social Media Team

• Remy77077 wrote:

Hopefully spoilers for the EoS in EoW […] won't be too far away

I did not express myself well enough. It is concretely the beginning of a Sonnstahl army based on the pre-built list of the Quickstarter (i.e. the old version of Essence of War (EoW), for those who just arrived ;) ).

Impatient, I couldn't wait for the publication of the equivalent army list for EoW. So I paint in the hope that the new list won't be so different.

But the question now is... can the fact that you took my patrol for a divulging be interpreted as a divulging in itself? ;)
    • Remy77077 wrote:

Hexed wrote:

I've somehow collected that wouldn't fit into my main armies. The patrols give me a chance for mini projects and help my friends get into the game
      This SO much for me too! I've got lots of old small collections of models that I've acquired over the many years that I am hoping to spruce up into a few Patrols lists.. of course I will post more pics here when I get to that :)
      The WDG look really cool! All of those GW models are outside of my eras of mini collecting, so I don't recognise any of them at all. Got any plans for a painting scheme yet?
      I'm also noticing the sweet magnets in the mdf bases! Where did you get those from?
      Paint scheme will mainly be blue, with gold trims. They are themed after GW's chaos god Tzeentch. I will start at the end of the week :)

I buy my bases from Warbases.co.uk they offer a magnet hole service for mdf bases. Then I just line mdf trays with rubber steel sheets
    • nflqt wrote:

But the question now is... can the fact that you took my patrol for a divulging be interpreted as a divulging in itself?
      Maybe, just maybe... but don't tell @piteglio ! :D

Seriously though, whilst most rosters did have some changes from the old QS Premade to EoW Patrol, it wasn't like anyone was changing them just for the sake of changing for no reason - so changes were kept to a minimum.

I can confirm EoS is a roster that has changed though because I am in a similar situation as you - I had the old QS Premade EoS fully collected & painted, but now I need to get and paint some new models if I want it to be accurate WYSIWYG for the new Patrol. Now of course, strict WYSIWYG is really not the intention or requirement for Essence of War, it's completely designed to be flexible... but as noted earlier in this thread, I just can't help myself from wanting to make things look right!

Essence of War Team

Product Search Team

Social Media Team

• Hexed wrote:

Paint scheme will mainly be blue, with gold trims. They are themed after GW's chaos god Tzeentch. I will start at the end of the week

I buy my bases from Warbases.co.uk they offer a magnet hole service for mdf bases. Then I just line mdf trays with rubber steel sheets
      Sounds very nice re: the paint scheme. Waaaay back in the day I used to have an allied Tzeentch contingent with my OnG even, so I may have a soft spot for that, even though I never painted any... (see my blog thread in my sig if you want to delve DEEP into all that nostalgic past ;) ).

I have gone down a similar but probably more expensive route with magnets for bases - I glue them to the bottom of plastic bases (both magnets and bases bought from a variety of places as I've tried out lots of types!) and then get my trays from Battlefields Factory as I then don't need 'lips' on the trays as the magnets hold them all anyway, and these guys make the trays exactly how I want them. But I really like your way of doing it here too... if I was to start anything from scratch from unbased models I might try that!

Incidentally if anyone is looking for links for bases or movement trays, I updated both of these library pages quite recently:
      Bases - Bases
      A list of movement tray options

LordNelson wrote:

Here is my dwarves WIP in 10mm! I am cheating with the copters as Hold Guardians until I substitute them with something else. I am still undecided on cavalry dwarves or earth elementals

Very nice start there! More extra tiny tiny dudes!
      One of the images isn't working for me right now though... personally I quite like the idea of Earth Elementals as counts-as Hold Guardians myself but I am not sure the scales here and what you're thinking of going for?

Essence of War Team

Product Search Team

Social Media Team

• Remy77077 wrote:

One of the images isn't working for me right now though... personally I quite like the idea of Earth Elementals as counts-as Hold Guardians myself but I am not sure the scales here and what you're thinking of going for?

Picture should be fixed now!

And yes, I am thinking of using the earth elemental, but perhaps I will just get 2 28mm dwarves and paint them as rocks ;)
    • @Hexed - i look forward to see your progress! actually... hmmm... since this is a EoW project, you can assume it will be (also) interesting for new players. so if you ever find the time for it, maybe consider taking a few pictures as the paintjob progresses? first picture with the full army in splendid plastic-grey, then another one after undercoating, then another one after first colour is applied, and so on... it will take you a few more minutes in each session, but it might be motivational both for you and for your viewers!

@nflqt - so glad to see you're getting your first army started! yesss! and as remy says, indeed there will be a few changes between the original QS premade armylist and the new EW patrol. but if you're not obsessed with WYSIWYG, you dont have to worry at all : )
      also, for you and the other imperial players, we're preparing a little extra surprise that will hopefully make you quite happy. we're trying to wrap it time for it to be put under the christmas tree ; )

@LordNelson - i still cant see the ifrst pic either : ( and yes, i thought the same - 28mm dwarves should scale quite nicely! cant wait to see more. actually, since we're talking about smallscale... i know we have a dedicate thread for finding/listing EoW miniatures, but i'd be curious to have the opinion of you guys:

if played against a 10mm army, [b]do 15mm models look good?[/b]

if yes, we might expand our range options with quite a few juicy sculpts.
      take these recent casts from Admiralty Miniatures, for example:

(by the way, now that i think of it... @Karak Norn Clansman here's a question for you:
      once the Infernal Dwarves premade Patrol for Essence of War is finalised / released,
      would you consider bundling the necessary miniatures into a 15mm starter set?
      i think that could be a fun thing to offer to the community!)

• @piteglio Great question! I once sent over a freebie to an interested member of a Swedish 10mm circle as a test, and they concluded that 15mm sadly looked too big next to 10mm. It's half as tall, after all. :)

Still, a 15mm ID starter force kit is a nice idea, and a fun experiment. I'll have to order more castings soon anyway, so if there is interest I could order extra spins from moulds relevant for a starter set. Please tell if there seem to be interest, and what should be in it. I'm not fast these days, though. Slow recovery from overworking, so it would take whatever time it would happen to take.

Cheers
    • I have been owning 15mm Demonworld (now available at Ral Partha) miniatures for 20 years and I confirm that it looks too big on 10x10mm and even 12.5x12.5 bases. (However, one must remember that I have no real experience yet, neither 10mm nor 28mm... so my testimony may be biased.) Perhaps a mathematician or an architect could explain the phenomenon...

I wonder if the 15mm would not be a good scale for the skirmish game Pirates Peril?

(deepl)

• The model clean-up, gluing and construction is complete :D (minus a few bits of greenstuff - but these guys don't need much of that).

Almost 40 years worth of Goblin miniatures parts featured in one unit! What a total rabble :D From very early 80s metal and plastics up to the 2020 latest from North Star/Oathmark, Shieldwolf and resin from First Legion.

(also gonna do the bonus Shady Git from Red Box games too, even though he's not needed for EoW).

Time to get spraying the ones that need an undercoat soon. First Legion actually specifically say their resin does NOT need washing, and I haven't done it on these guys, so fingers crossed they are right :)

Essence of War Team

Product Search Team

Social Media Team