T9A lore videos

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Awesome! Then we are certainly on the same page! :)

@Ghiznuk - i am pretty busy over the next 2 weeks, but maybe after that we could arrange a discord/skype/zoom call to talk fluff?

@Niedfaru - do you think you might be able to produce music to go in the background to some of these vids? It would be awesome if we could shows off your talents and have some music that was very appropriate to each faction/location.

Also, I know @arnadil was up for getting involved too, but was there anyone else that wanted to get involved directly? perhaps we could form an "unofficial" team for the time being to work on basic lore videos like the one above/previous page for each faction as a starter?
    Find me now on Twitter @luckysixesPTG
    Visit our Youtube channel and latest project for book reviews, video battle reports and much much more!

Proxy Table Gaming Youtube Channel
    The Many Adventures of Lucky-Sixes
    THE QUICK-STARTER WORLD CUP
  • Good spot.

Theres quite a few styles we could draw on for inspiration, depending on the preference of the podcast producer.

For example, Blue'ss videos here are simple, fast and...(slightly) sarcastic. It reminds me in a way of a non Edgelord/Cringey majorkill. Very entertaining, but still conveys lots of info:

youtube.com/c/OverlySarcasticProductionsChannel

I'm not sure how channels do the map graphics or for example the circle faces which are nations flags, maybe there's a programme for it? (Sign up to skillshare for more great content, and get the first two weeks free by clicking the link below).
    Join us on Ulthuan.net
  • Ghiznuk wrote:

PTG-Lucky-Sixes wrote:

arrange a discord/skype/zoom call to talk fluff?
    we shall see
    i hate video-calling ^^
    haha fair enough mate. Happy to just message if that's easier
    Visit our Youtube channel and latest project for book reviews, video battle reports and much much more!

• PTG-Lucky-Sixes wrote:

@Niedfaru - do you think you might be able to produce music to go in the background to some of these vids? It would be awesome if we could shows off your talents and have some music that was very appropriate to each faction/location.
    I'm provisionally in, but it will depend on timescales. Include me in the messages (calls will be insane to schedule, given that I'm GMT+8 and I work afternoons and evenings), and I'll see at that point.

Background Team

Prophet of Pavements

• Perhaps we should add @Koronus to this thread or at least make it known to him that us mere mortals are looking to tell the world about him and his creations ;)

• Ghiznuk wrote:

Are we ? :huh:
    Well this is a thread about creating lore videos about t9a and its world no?

The True story

• Sorry false alarm I guess. Just spoken to Ed and its got nothing to do with anything apparently...

• ferny wrote:

@PhearTheHam you seem to be picking up where this thread left off. Don't want to create to threads in parallel, but some stuff here may be useful to you for reference. More power to you!
    Much appreciated will review the thread. Should I paste my draft for the UD video here?

Community Engagement

Check out my youtube channel for battle reports youtube.com/channel/UCz_nwnrTM72OoSzha6XcGqA
  • PhearTheHam wrote:

ferny wrote:

@PhearTheHam you seem to be picking up where this thread left off. Don't want to create to threads in parallel, but some stuff here may be useful to you for reference. More power to you!
    Much appreciated will review the thread. Should I paste my draft for the UD video here?
    Yes please! And do you have a link to a thread with your ideas and work?
    My blog about my Asian Elves
  • PhearTheHam wrote:

So I stiched up the UD's wiki articles and came up with this.

Undying Dynasties Faction Overview

The dead did rise on southern shore An empire dead its heart torn out No aid to come from human hands The hour grew dark, and foes in count So press’d were we, like ne’er before

Taken from the World Hymn Chapter Chapter 3 Verse 3

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Across the world, and nowhere more than ancient Naptesh, civilisations have entombed their nobility to endure untold centuries. Yet not all that rests beneath earth, sand and stone stays buried. Returned to reclaim lost kingdoms and to cast off the shackles of flesh and time, the Undying Dynasties arise!
    Naptesh is no longer the land of fertility it once was. Crumbling monoliths and the tombs of the great Pharaohs are but shadows of their former glory - yet the dead still linger. Here, and in tombs across the world, honour guards stand vigil with a discipline and loyalty that has surpassed the grave. Living stone constructs crush any foolish enough to come searching for treasure. Thousands of years in the earth have not dampened their appetite for war, and these ancient monarchs show no sign of returning to their tombs.

Lying beneath eternal sands, sealed in tombs for centuries, the Undying Dynasties know the workings of time as no others. Dedicating themselves to the preservation and restoration of their golden civilisations. It is only magic which permits them to escape the decay of ages, and return their legions to unlife, time and time again. As they continually stir from their sarcophagi, the Pharaoh’s seek an age in which their society will never fall again

The Undying Dynasties are a faction within the 9th Age game.

The remnants of the oldest human empire, Naptesh [1], as well as inheritors and imitators of Naptesh, such as the Terracotta Army and the Barrow Legion [2] [3].

Naptesh is, or was, a nation in northern Taphria [6]. It was founded presumably in the Second Age [7], and was once a fertile land [1] [8] [9]. At the height of its power, it was a great empire that spread far around the middle sea [3].

The leaders of the Undying Dynasties have been described as nobles of their former lands, held to this world by their power and will long after their deaths [1]. The undead armies of the Undying Dynasties have been said to possess an intelligence greater than that of others [4].

The Great Dying

The Great dying was an event that took place in the Third Age [7]. The then king, Phatep, was betray and killed by Setesh. This plunged the nation into civil war between Setesh and the king's wife Queen Teput. The result of which is said to be that the gates of the underworld were closed off to the naptaan people. [9]

Eventually the whole empire fell. [2]

Terra cotta Legions

When Naptesh fell, many of its people fled. Among these was Haskhunet, high architect of Hanaphuk, who is said to have fled east. Some years later, Tsuandan records mentions a sage from the west appearing. The sage is said to have aided the emperor in constructing a terracotta army to guard his tomb. It is theorised that this army would be animated in similar way to naptaan golems, but the whereabouts of the tomb of the last Xun Emperor is unknown. [2]

Barrow Legions

Many northern neighbouring nations and people to the naptaan empire assimilated the naptaan burial traditions. Creating barrow mounds imitating the pyramids of Naptesh. Like those pyramids, these mounds, many of which are found in Zagvozd, are rumour to harbour the undead. [3]

Explanations for this phenomenon differ. Some claim it is because the neighbouring people also assimilated some of the religion of Naptesh so were struck by the same curse that keeps them out of the underworld. Others that they imitated the necromantic arts from Setesh and therefore live on after death.

PLAYSTYLE
    Undying Dynasties, being an army of the animated dead, unsurprisingly rely on magic. Through their spells, units are made stronger and at the same time, casualties removed in their units are raised back, replenishing their ranks. The army can play many chariots either in multiple small units or in one big unit. The Undying Dynasties also have access to multiple really big monsters which can be played together. Alternatively, a few big units of animated statues or revived ridden monsters with their riders can be used to have a tough and hard hitting army. A completely different build uses masses of different sorts of skeletons. The Undying Dynasties can be played as a close combat army or as a mainly shooting army, or a mix of both.

Plug EOW??

Insert sample armylists and how to play them here??

Insert where to buy UD models here??

I dont know if this will be more than 30 minutes but my battle reports end up having similar word counts i think.

So we were discussing this in one of the. Threads in internal and I proposed making a UD faction lore and primer video and this is the script I have so far it's simply using content already made I just have to narrate nd add in how play to start the game with said faction and its pretty much it. Open to changing the script based on the BGTs input

Community Engagement

Check out my youtube channel for battle reports youtube.com/channel/UCz_nwnrTM72OoSzha6XcGqA
  • A lot of fluff has been added to the UD to make it a truly outstanding faction, which has not been published yet, but should make it in the next Ninth Scroll issue, so I'd humbly suggest to wait several weeks until the next issue comes out in order to get a good grasp of it.

@Scottish Knight @nflqt can we make sure that the next Ninth Scroll issue includes the compendium for both undead factions ?
    Since they are the only ones who haven't had it.

(Edit : actually the DL compendium pages have not been released yet, even though they appear in the WIP layouted document shared internally, since a year or two now ; it should be a good idea to release them at some point)

Russian Translation Coordinator

Translation-Team FR

Public Relations

Linguistic Team

GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
    First T9A player in West Africa
  • Nice! I will read in detail later, but I love the idea.

Here is a short piece that I wrote as a first draft for a narrative video on EoS when speaking with the guys from PTG about creating fluff videos. Feel free to use it (and modify it because it surely isn't ideal and there might be much more information out there):

Display Spoiler

My beloved daughter, how time flies. It seems like only yesterday that I took you proudly from the arms of your mother, exhausted from childbirth. So many years of your growing up I missed. And now, like me once, you will set out into the world - how many more of your experiences I will never be able to share! But at least I want to give you what little I have after all my travels: my knowledge of the world.

I may not be the most educated teacher here on Celeda Ablan, and perhaps my memory deceives me about some of what I tell. But the world out there beyond the great ocean is so different from our life here, it holds so many dangers. Perhaps the fruits of my curiosity can offer you a little security and a compass in the turmoil beyond our island.

Here: take my old map. It shows the whole world with all its five wondrous continents. Isn’t it beautiful? It makes me almost want to set off again myself…

This part here is called Vetia. It is the place where our ships will probably take you first. Although some of our distant relatives, the elves of the forest, live there, as do the dwarves in the White Mountains, the most contact you will have as a sailor on a merchant ship will be with human civilization.

A large part of our trade with Vetia takes place in the port of Alfhaven. So, let's take a look together at the largest human realm, the Empire of Sonnstahl. This is where it lies. To the west it is separated by a great river from the lands of Equitaine and from the homeland of our cousins in the forest of Wyscan. In their language, they call it Gewache. In the south, the River Volsk forms the border with the Tsardom of Volskaya and the White Mountains, where the Dwarves live. In the east, however, the empire borders directly on the vast Makhar Steppe. I have never seen this border, but it is said to be a dangerous place. The Makhar are fierce tribes and mighty horse warriors - and beyond their steppe lies the Wasteland, a place infested with demons and servants of the dark gods. Therefore, the Empire of Sonnstahl has moved large parts of its troops (the largest standing army in Vetia) to this border; a border formed by the Beacons, a series of large bonfires.

But you, my child, should spend more time in the civilized places of the Empire. To understand the people there, you must know the history of their people. Their faith, their culture, even the name of their nation, all go back to a great myth: the legend of Sunna.

A thousand years ago, at the transition of the eighth to the ninth age, barbarian tribes like the Askar, the Breidar, or the Gjothar lived where the Empire of Sonnstahl lies today. They were not so different from the Asklanders from the north. The world of men at that time was haunted by many terrors: orcs and goblins, as always, but especially the vermin, who at that time ruled a powerful empire from Avras, and of course the beast-men. One name in particular has endured through the ages: Bragh the Black Bull.

Bragh was a mighty minotaur, and he led a massive beastmen herd under the banner of the dark gods against mankind. Humanity was on the brink of extinction. The tribes gathered for a last desperate stand against Bragh on the banks of the Gewache, but they had no chance. Just as Bragh was about to kill the Askar king, Warin, however, a young warrior maiden stepped forward and challenged the black bull to battle. The sun reflected brightly on her breastplate as she struck Bragh down with a few blows. It was in this moment that the people recognized their incarnate goddess Sunna in the young woman.

Sunna united the tribes and freed the lands from all the terrors that had afflicted the people for so long. Finally, men even liberated Avras, the great city of Vetia, occupied by the Vermin. Here Sunna challenged the mighty rat king, but she was betrayed. The opportunistic King Warin, fearing the superiority of the rats, thrust his sword into her side just before the duel. Nevertheless, the goddess defeated the rat king in her last battle. Then, however, her mortal shell died.

In the confused years following Sunna's death, men failed to finally unify their kingdom. The belief emerged that the unification of the tribes to the greatness they had possessed under Sunna would only be possible when the sword of the goddess, the Sonnstahl, which in our language means sword or steel of the sun, was recovered.

For the time being, the people found no peace. Finally, they were attacked by our vicious brothers and sisters from the Republic of Dathen. You must understand, my child, time passes differently for humans than it does for us elves. While many in Dathen to this day wish to reclaim the ancient homeland in Vetia, the centuries and millennia that have passed since the days of our ancestors are an eternity to the short-lived humans. And so it came to the war between the tainted elves and the humans. At the end of this war, the humans had proven themselves strong and united even without the Sonnstahl. The first emperor, Leopold Truehearted, therefore proclaimed the Empire of Sonnstahl 200 years after Sunna's appearance, saying that the true Sonnstahl, the true power and unity of the people no longer lay in a sword, but in the people themselves.

I have always liked this story. When you meet the people of Sonnstahl, always think of what all this means to them. Devotion to the goddess Sunna and pride in this founding myth permeate their being. True, the Church of Sunna no longer resides in the Empire, where the Supreme Prelate of Sunna traveled for long periods with his court, taking various seats. Today he resides in the Pontifical Palace in the city of Reva in Arcalea. But the belief in Sunna is omnipresent in the Empire of Sonnstahl.

In addition to Sunna, who is called the Sun Maiden, the Sonnstahlers pray to Volund the Smith for strength and resilience and to Ullor, the Father of Winter, who controls death as well as the forces of nature, especially lightning.

Despite its origins in the barbarian tribes, the Empire of Sonnstahl is now a civilized place - at least in the cities, and at least as far as humans can be civilized. Of course, it does not reach the beauty of our elven culture, but in their own simple way, the people of Sonnstahl have come a long way. There are colleges, even a university I once visited in the city of Aschen. Their wizards study magic like a science. Many secrets are thus kept from them, but they are powerful and educated nonetheless. A lot of them have joined together in the so-called Imperial Society of Eichtal, an influential institution.

As you will notice, my daughter, the people of Sonnstahl speak their own language, the Sonnsprache, the sun language, with very different dialects. What seems strange at first is actually a mirror of their Empire, which tells you much about them. The Empire of Sonnstahl is divided into eight regions and is not entirely governed centrally. The individual regions, ruled by counts, prelates, and princes, have their own armies and are almost independent in many ways. These regions are called Aschen, Breidmark, Göthen, Cologne, Narrenwald, Scharland, Ullsberg and Vosenland.

Nevertheless, there is of course a mighty emperor who rules over the whole country. But the political web of Sonnstahl is complex - and all too often skirmishes and wars arise between the nobles of the Empire. The current emperor, as far as I am informed, is called Matthias the Pious. He is, like his father before him, heir to the Rothmeyer family. The Rothmeyers are the current dynasty in the Empire of Sonnstahl. However, each emperor is elected by a so-called Council of Electors which consists of numerous people of standing: landowners, nobles, military. So, although inherited by fact, legally there is no direct dynastic claim to the throne. Again: the politics of this realm is complex.

Oh yeah, while we are on the subject: Matthias the Pious is not the eldest child of his father, Frederick the Great. He has an older sister, Josefa. But she fulfills a spiritual rather than a secular office, in the Church of Sunna. Then again, a friend recently told me that rumors persist that Josefa may use the power of the Church to contest her brother's throne.

It occurs to me that you will soon notice that women are not held in such high honor and enjoy so many rights everywhere as they do here under the wise rule of our Queen or among the people of Sonnstahl. I fear you will experience it painfully. In Sonnstahl, however, women are equal to men, as you can already see from Princess Josefa's claim to the throne.

But let me tell you a little more about the emperor and politics. Matthias the Pius rules from the capital city of Aschen, if I remember correctly. He is married to Queen Sophia of Destria. Destria is another human kingdom in the very southwest of Vetia. Together, this gives the royal couple tremendous political power - and many, even among our people, fear the power that a child of the two would acquire.

Despite all the internal struggles and external wars, you'll learn that the Empire of Sonnstahl also places a lot of emphasis on diplomacy. For example, the count of Breidmark married his daughter to an Asklander prince in order to keep peace with the rough Northmen. Accompanying a merchant ship, you will soon discover that Sonnstahl also owns colonies overseas. I remember well the stories from the colony of Fredericksberg in Virentia of battles with an ancient Saurian civilization. And both the Sonnstahl region of Vosenland and Destria, the ally of Sonnstahl, have colonies in southern Taphria.

So never underestimate the power of Sonnstahl, my child. And beware of the many dangers that lurk in this realm.
    My blog about my Asian Elves