KoE LAB: Ideas for rules and mechanics

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is available! You can read all about it in the news.

• New

Giladis wrote:

Speaking of Faires and Angels have you guys seen Maleficent 2? The Dark Fey portrayed there have a lot of conceptual overlap with the warrior angels from the host of Michael.
    Not really....at best some overlap...but surely not a lot.
    The problem still is, that, concerning Feys fpr KoE, you will end up with something, that is more appropriate for Sylvans (wild, nature, beasts and /or nature elementals) or something like ...well, winged knights (not to, shudder, mention winged dudes in cloakes and togas).

Mayhaps some overlap between those two is a way to go. Souls of former saints / priests/ grail knights etc. who have "merged" with the land (particulare places, where they died and "choosed" to ptotect) and look accordingly: Some armored knights /humanoid creatures with watery features...some more airy..some more firey..some more earthbound/ woodbound.
    Veteran of the Chaff Wars
  • KoE LAB: Ideas for rules and mechanics

New

I think a fen/peat golem/golems is a good way to go for Fey Spirits perhaps. I’ve always liked both the GW fenbeast mini, and the Mierce equivalents.

Along the lines of the Shamanism totemic summon, but turned into a unit with its own interesting mechanic would be something I would be interested in.

But maybe only for the peasant/witch/dark Equitaine part of the list (if their is such a thing lol)
  • New

Ludaman wrote:

I think a fen/peat golem/golems is a good way to go for Fey Spirits perhaps. I’ve always liked both the GW fenbeast mini, and the Mierce equivalents.

Along the lines of the Shamanism totemic summon, but turned into a unit with its own interesting mechanic would be something I would be interested in.

But maybe only for the peasant/witch/dark Equitaine part of the list (if their is such a thing lol)
    I really hope we never see such things in KoE. Sorry bro, no offens, but this is in my opinion the least desirable new unit.
    Those things look exactly like what the Grail Knights like to kill most.
  • New

arwaker wrote:

Ludaman wrote:

I really hope we never see such things in KoE. Sorry bro, no offens, but this is in my opinion the least desirable new unit.Those things look exactly like what the Grail Knights like to kill most.
    your grail knights like to kill lumps of animated mud and moss more than dragons and vampires? Bro your grail knights are gardeners
  • New

Borneo wrote:

Man, I know angles are mainstream and KoE players are hipsters, but can we agree that angels are liked for a reason? Are we really denying ourself from something cool that adds to the game play and the hobby element of the game just because it has been done elsewhere?
    I think the very fact that there's an argument about it means that there's no agreement. Personally I'm not aware of having met any angels so I'm keeping an open mind on whether I like them or not. I imagine it would depend on which one I met.

I completely agree with @Ludaman and @Marcos24 in that Angels would detract from the army of human knights. A model named an Angel would be expected to be good and powerful. Just look at all the influences we're talking about - Angels are powerful in the vast majority. It's rare to see an angel depicted as weak.

If an Angel was implemented in T9A as a support piece I can't see the Angel crowd being satisfied with that. Just like they're not satisfied with Angels being a modelling opportunity within the Fey structure. You can even have an Angel now as a modelling opportunity for a Hippo or pegasus Duke. I don't know of anyone I've played against who would see that as anything other than cool.

Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    Never argue with Idiots. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
  • New

We do believe majority of KoE players want this army to be more historic than fantasy, ergo low fantasy.
    It is why guidelines say that only 15% of army book should be Fey entries. Angels to me are far out of this low fantasy scope. How ever it could be explored in an Auxilliary book.
    We will have Sainted which you could say have half angel properties, other half is human which is what this army is about: humans.

@Giladis
    You saw Fey in Cursed TV series? Especially Merlins evil fey side :)
  • New

Sir_Sully wrote:

If an Angel was implemented in T9A as a support piece I can't see the Angel crowd being satisfied with that.

I am the Angel supporting crowd, and I would be satisfied.

To conclude, we wont have angles because KoE players in reality want to play medieval war-games but forced to play 9th because all heir friends play it?

I am actually an ex-KoE player, that got out of the army because it was dry as plain toast. So I don't want to lobby for something that the core player base don't want. I merely look for a reason to get back on the wagon and slay some dragon cheeks with angles and grail knights.

IMO, a new update is sooo needed for this book and I am so happy it gets one. Having a book with the same things but a single fey unit in extra would be a huge disappointment for me because I'd need so little to spend my life earnings on some overpriced e-bay bretonnians.

But hey. the crowd has spoken. angles wont be part of 9th. at least for a while. I'll bring my lobbying resources elsewhere than :whiteflag:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Borneo ().

• New

Sir_Sully wrote:

You can even have an Angel now as a modelling opportunity for a Hippo or pegasus Duke. I don't know of anyone I've played against who would see that as anything other than cool.
    ey....

Product-Search

KoE Community Support

Lord of the Hobby

Follow my games here: the-ninth-age.com/community/in…%C3%BCnchen-und-umgebung/
  • New

To me, EoS resembles the holy roman empire, while KoE resembles the celts and other pre-christian cultures with more magic-like religions, druids, and feyfolk.
    Angels and devoutness and strictly hierarchical religious orders controlling the people belong to EoS,
    while
    mythtical powers, help from magical creatures, druids and witches are KoE terrain, with a pre-christianized view on the world.

That's why I'm opposed to angels, to me they don't fit KoE. We should get (celtic-style) druids, not the nature-balancing D%D inspired SE druids, but mythtical powerful leaders of their people who sacrifice animals and occasionally even people to support their own, fey helping the humans because of old pacts, elementals summoned by damsels and the like.
    That all of course mixed with the knighthood ideals that are already a big part of the army, and an arthurian style.

I'm not saying the magical part should be dominating, but it should be there, supporting the knights in their tasks.
  • New

rolan wrote:

pre-christian cultures
    lets stop thin nonsense. that's simply false. if you have any knowledge of history you cannot reasonable say KoE is pre christian.

crusaders. christians. grail knights. christians. tristan. christian name. sacred reliquary, blessing. the entire book is deeply reliant on christian motives and narratives. how faith is portrayed is exactly how Christianity is portrayed.

read the whf bretonnian army book. the stories there are pretty much copy pasted christian Chevalier myths with fantasy aftertone.

there is a big difference in not wanting angles in the army book because in your mind they dont belong there, and spreading false narratives about the entire concept.
  • New

Borneo wrote:

rolan wrote:

pre-christian cultures
    lets stop thin nonsense. that's simply false. if you have any knowledge of history you cannot reasonable say KoE is pre christian.
    crusaders. christians. grail knights. christians. tristan. christian name. sacred reliquary, blessing. the entire book is deeply reliant on christian motives and narratives. how faith is portrayed is exactly how Christianity is portrayed.

read the whf bretonnian army book. the stories there are pretty much copy pasted christian Chevalier myths with fantasy aftertone.

there is a big difference in not wanting angles in the army book because in your mind they dont belong there, and spreading false narratives about the entire concept.
    I wrote:"To me, EoS resembles the holy roman empire, while KoE resembles the celts and other pre-christian cultures..."
    Yes, I know that the arthus saga is made into a very christian thing during the centuries, of course are crusades a christian thing,as is the grail as we know it.

I said "to me" because I never had christians in mind when I thought about bretonians, I always envisioned the celtic stuff that was also emphasized in some adaptions of the arthus saga in movies or books.

And I like KoE to be a bit more "primal" than EoS, less "civilized", more in touch with old magics while EoS are on their way to industrialization - in some 100 years...

And it would be no problem to have the KoE setting a bit more influenced by celts or saxons than the christian version of arthus.

If most don't like a setting like that, fine, there are other ways to create a fun-to-play army. But simply because the current book uses names from christian tales doesn't mean the rest of the setting needs to feel that way, to me it doesn't.

So don't call it nonsense, I'm not berating you in history, I am talking about a fantasy setting I would like for KoE, no matter the names.
    My POV is different from yours, but neither nonsense nor "wrong".
    This is a fantasy game ...