2021 Map Pack Contest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Herminard wrote:

Its not a huge gripe or something that comes up often, but map A2 gives a bit too much of an advantage in spoils of war.

South has easy access to objectives while North have a House blocking the Western marker and Rock blocking the Eastern marker.

I propose for the next iteration of the map pack that the House swap place with the Wood and that the Hill is shifted 6" towards the centre of the map.

Regards,

H
    Arent the maps suuppose to promote choosing a side as adventage in the first place? (in which some of them fail IMO).

The post was edited 1 time, last by LeXincerta ().

• Ripe example from the ongoing WTC finals.
    Hermund Vigerust Endressòn Furu - Savage Sage of the Norse
    Faux-pro player and ETC vagabond.
    Enjoys the company of deluded nerds and women of unquestionably caracal morale.

Give yer high fives where yer opponents dice have been blessed, and in equal give yer handshakes when dice fall in malicious ways.

With plague at the pinecone throne - what else can one do but to roll dice and women around?
  • Just_Flo wrote:

How do you belive does the new map pack influence shooting and gunlines?

Both positive and negative - its harder to defend the funlines than before - and mobile funlines have less hideouts. At the same time the fire-lanes are more open.

I would generally advice hills closer to centre of maps to curb the possible increase of funlines.

Give yer high fives where yer opponents dice have been blessed, and in equal give yer handshakes when dice fall in malicious ways.

With plague at the pinecone throne - what else can one do but to roll dice and women around?
  • Ah okay. I had more the impression, that hiding and using cover got far more easy for the opponent but that might be either me makeing deployment mistakes, or just playing on the few maps where that is the case.

Advisery Board Member

Click to apply to staff. I Organise: TA, TS and ACS. My Perspective on T9A on Youtube: T9A in Bayern - YouTube and T9A in Bavaria - YouTube
  • Just_Flo wrote:

Ah okay. I had more the impression, that hiding and using cover got far more easy for the opponent but that might be either me makeing deployment mistakes, or just playing on the few maps where that is the case.

That taking cover is far easier with the new maps? Hmmm ... I have found the opposite... perhaps it is me that have been doing the mistakes :P

(Jokes aside - I have invested in warmachines with the new maps that I would not have considered using with the old map pack - and I have found no real trouble finding targets for them in my games.)

• Just_Flo wrote:

And how is your view of bows and Crossbows on the new maps?

I feel that for small arms fire its a situation of divergence as you describe. Opponents will often find _some_ meaningful cover for _some_ of the army.

This means that _some_ small arms fire is still quite good, but that going full funline is finding diminishing returns with the best firelanes being better than the consecutive ones.

For cover it still means that banners like stalking standard are quite meaningful picks (ruins and woods found in hotspots).

For concentration of force it means that having an arrowhead unit is still beneficial with regards to cover and thus creating cover for subsequent units if needed.

That said;

With the old map pack - there were more situations where small arms fire did not have targets at all - simply because impassables are full block.

Then there are several subtle differences - such like that entering a chokehold with targets for small arms fire isnt a play thats worth doing _before_ you have compromised the backline with flanking preassure et al.

And a map thats generally more open should condition for more rank and file -> more meaningful target for small arms fire.

• Dancaarkiiel wrote:

Map B7, second field (lower one) can't possibly be 36" to the side. More like ~42".

Morrigan wrote:

Is this a good place to ask about errors in the map pack? Map B5, ruins in the middle, seem to have the wrong distance from the short table edge. If using the measurements (24'') found in the pack it overlaps with a fence. 28'' seems to be the correct distance.
    Thanks for getting these to my attention. The map pack have been updated with these issues fixed

Head of Rules Team

Advisory Board

Assistant Head of Rules Clarity Team

VS_LAB team

• Baldin wrote:

Mmm I have been playing the B maps in Who let the Doge out and I must say, they feel very unbalanced.

I love the maps fluffwise, but balance wise they are a nightmare to play, imo.

Most I played are bad for infantry or wreck any army that has chariots or lag strider.

I think thats the concept of the set of B maps; they are fluffy, whack, storytelling and unbalanced.

I like that they exist. I would use the A pack as a TO if the competitiveness of the tournament was the most important aspect.

• Ye I agree. I love maps like the Farm (B4). But playing them in the tourny feels bad off.

Additional note. I think in the map pack it should be described what the intention of the B maps are. I was told that they are fluff maps, but I never read it officially.
    :O&G: :KoE:

Homebrew Army: The Lycanthropes Updated 16-8-2021!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Baldin ().

• Baldin wrote:

Ye I agree. I love maps like the Farm (B4). But playing them in the tourny feels bad.
    Ive played on B4 twice at tournaments, and to me it never felt overly unbalanced. The hill is in a good equalising position for the south compared to the cover/wall distracting of the north.

I think it likely exacerbates some RPS between lists, but reasonably balanced lists I think can play B4 without a significant disadvantage.

@marcema other than how powerful trappers were on B4, how did you feel during our game?
    Check out my T9A channel on YouTube HERE
  • @fjugin

Is there an official statement that the A pack is better suited for competetive play and the B pack is better suited for narrative battles?

• youngseward wrote:

Baldin wrote:

Ye I agree. I love maps like the Farm (B4). But playing them in the tourny feels bad.
    Ive played on B4 twice at tournaments, and to me it never felt overly unbalanced. The hill is in a good equalising position for the south compared to the cover/wall distracting of the north.
    I think it likely exacerbates some RPS between lists, but reasonably balanced lists I think can play B4 without a significant disadvantage.

@marcema other than how powerful trappers were on B4, how did you feel during our game?

Its still improvement over what once was. Decidedly.

• youngseward wrote:

Baldin wrote:

Even though you might not have had a problem with the map in your game. It was a fairly infantry focussed list you played. Looking at the map any army with combat oriented construcs (chariots/warplatforms etc) will find it a hell to play on this map, I would think.

I don't think the maps are a lose/lose situation, but the extremes are much more there and you could streight up be at a very big disadvantage just cos you brought an army that is weak on this map (more extremly than in the A maps) or because your opponent has an army that thrives on a map such as that. (B7 for example has 2 forests that are very nicely positioned for beast herds or Sylvan elves as they can bring their third forest and basicly always move through the forest if they want.)

All in all I love the new map pack muc more compared to the previous one, but the B versions could use a "fluff" tag compared to the A versions (I feel).

That said, I have just played 2 tournaments so far, so I ain't much of a competative player yet :)
    :O&G: :KoE:

Homebrew Army: The Lycanthropes Updated 16-8-2021!