sun knighst or inner circle knights?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Lately it has been a trend to field 10 or so Knightly Orders with Knight Commander and some Inquisitors on horseback. The unit is a fearless bunker for your general and can send Inquisitors galloping 18-20" in a turn when used with the movement order. Also as it's a parent unit, it synergizes really well with units of 20 halberdiers.

Chicken knights are good in 3 or 5 model units, but never tried them as 5. How do people use big units of them anyway? 3x2 formation?
    ETC Team Finland O&G player 2014-16

Black Metal Goat Blog (NSFW)
  • Electoral Cav work best as cheap, reasonably fast and durable scorers.

Knightly Orders generally work best in a big bus/deathstar for force concentration & points denial, and/or to slingshot Inquisitor cowboys out 20 inches.

Chicken knights seem best as flankers/scorers. They can zone off some threats, eat enemy scorers/chaff, or flank charge into combats your infantry are bogging down the enemy in. I honestly haven't tried them in units bigger than 3 but my opinion is that the unit footprint starts to get quite unmanageable and you can't attack with chickens from the 2nd rank anyway.
  • You see all cav roosters with 2 x 4 sun griffons and occasionally those of 5 griffons as a "bunker" for the KC on young griffon.
    As long as Knightley Orders are Core, they will remain the more popular choice.
    2 x 3 sun griffons are now considerable cheap for what they do(Abrasus even used them w/halberds and without muso to save points).
    favourite quote:
    Kruber wrote:
    Imperial Rangers burn the woods ---> Sylvan Elves go cry in the corner.

My armies:
    :EoS: :O&G: :KoE: :OK:
  • Scumboogie wrote:

Chicken knights are good in 3 or 5 model units, but never tried them as 5. How do people use big units of them anyway? 3x2 formation?
    If you want 5+ as a combat unit you generally run them 4-wide. If you're using them as a bunker you run them 3-wide.

Bad wrote:

Chicken knights seem best as flankers/scorers. They can zone off some threats, eat enemy scorers/chaff, or flank charge into combats your infantry are bogging down the enemy in. I honestly haven't tried them in units bigger than 3 but my opinion is that the unit footprint starts to get quite unmanageable and you can't attack with chickens from the 2nd rank anyway.
    3 of them make for fine flankers. When you get to 5+ the reason is mostly for HP, they just don't handle prolonged fights because every wound hurts so much. 5+ KotSG make for great bunkers for KC on griffons and pegasus characters.

The footprint honestly isn't that hard to manage, and in some cases the footprint is a major advantage of them. Buff wagons make them into really solid combat units and their size and footprint screens buff wagons completely from shooting which is a huge help. Because the unit is 150mm deep with griffons in the second rank it's actually not too hard to keep them within the buff bubble. Distracting engine + DS4 helps them survive a lot of things and Chaos Perception of Strength giving opposing units -1 Str and -1 AP all add up to allow KotSG survive fights they shouldn't otherwise.

If you need to make a longer charge you can form the KotSG up 3-wide and combo charge with the buff wagon to keep them altogether and having the wagon clipping a corner brings a lot of impact hit damage and the wagon will receive minimal attacks back.

Now all that said, I think I still prefer units of 3 as flankers and Imperial guard as combat units. But large units of them are possible and viable.

EoS Community Support

• Nerocrossius wrote:

Scumboogie wrote:

If you want 5+ as a combat unit you generally run them 4-wide. If you're using them as a bunker you run them 3-wide.

Bad wrote:

3 of them make for fine flankers. When you get to 5+ the reason is mostly for HP, they just don't handle prolonged fights because every wound hurts so much. 5+ KotSG make for great bunkers for KC on griffons and pegasus characters.
    The footprint honestly isn't that hard to manage, and in some cases the footprint is a major advantage of them. Buff wagons make them into really solid combat units and their size and footprint screens buff wagons completely from shooting which is a huge help. Because the unit is 150mm deep with griffons in the second rank it's actually not too hard to keep them within the buff bubble. Distracting engine + DS4 helps them survive a lot of things and Chaos Perception of Strength giving opposing units -1 Str and -1 AP all add up to allow KotSG survive fights they shouldn't otherwise.

If you need to make a longer charge you can form the KotSG up 3-wide and combo charge with the buff wagon to keep them altogether and having the wagon clipping a corner brings a lot of impact hit damage and the wagon will receive minimal attacks back.

Now all that said, I think I still prefer units of 3 as flankers and Imperial guard as combat units. But large units of them are possible and viable.
    interesting to note its just i have always liked them but with them being so expensive and now with only a2+ armor with lances it gets expensive fast
  • KotSG have gotten cheaper than they used to be by a significant margin, so it’s not as much of an investment. But still you have to decide if you’d rather spend 500pts on an Imperial Guard combat block or a 500pt KotSG unit. In general, I would say the IG are easier to use, but I don’t think KotSG are too far either as long as they have support.

EoS Community Support

• Hello!

I'be used a unit of 5 KotSG with a great success. They do a lot of damage for their points even without any buffs, benefit from Arcane Engine, can go outside of a bubble with a discipline banner. Addition of a 5 body allows to not have panic tests after losing one.
    They go usually 4-wide.
    From money perspective, don't use GW:)