​The Ninth Age is the coolest game in the world – why aren’t there more people playing it?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

  • from the layout perspective, i'd be interested in reading your comments on the Essence of War rulebook that will be published tomorrow (or in today's News). we've been trying to find an intersection between enhanced looks & reduced manpower (for both layout and translation). maybe this can become a model for other T9A publications as well.


  • Ok, some points.

    There is nothing stopping someone from buying commissions of art, for the purposes of donating it to the project.

    there is nothing stopping people from sitting down and learning scribus (in all its clunky frustrating moments) to help us do layout.

    I’ll be honest, scribus sucks compared to Indesign or quark. But the price is right and anyone can learn it if they spend some time.

    Especially once we get a few templates made (LAB template, Faction fluff piece to go with LAB, other supplements, etc…)

    The best way to help us with layout is download scribus and spend a few hours reading tutorials and watching YouTube videos.

    Art can be solved with 3rd party crowdfunding, but only after the “visual identity” has been created. We lost two major sources of art ( @NicePants and @Shubin Michail )

    personally I think this is something we should focus our staff artists - setting up the visual identity guides for in-house and 3rd party commissions.

    (This last part is something I’ve been meaning to raise at future meetings - but I feel is worth mentioning here for @Casp and others to look at.)

    Head of Lectors

    Advisory Board

    "...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

    - Grouchy Badger

  • If sustainability becomes an issue due to lack of artists there is another optional direction available. Changing projects license to non-commercial-use-only. This would allow use of free existing Arts based on such license, there is also a chance more artists would like to work 'for exposure' and miniature companies might be more willing to share their graphics with Project, as they would be protected against the competition. This would also prevent companies from publishing the books... there are probably more consequences I cannot forsee.
  • kisanis wrote:

    there is nothing stopping people from sitting down and learning scribus (in all its clunky frustrating moments) to help us do layout.

    I’ll be honest, scribus sucks compared to Indesign or quark. But the price is right and anyone can learn it if they spend some time.
    Hum yes its true. Now , make a good layout require also some creative graphic design skill. To not juts fill the template, but also potentially create some decoration, or specific layout for particularity of each book.


    kisanis wrote:

    personally I think this is something we should focus our staff artists - setting up the visual identity guides for in-house and 3rd party commissions.
    Not sure what you mean by that.
    We already have an art visual guideline for each LAB.

    Now as i said not sure we are so much in difficulty for art. We need more artist for sure. But we started DE work in january. If we started in july like i would have liked we do; we could already have finished.
    And i hope EXB will soon choose ES or US LAB to allow art team to almost jump one book and go back into the run ^^

    Website Team

     

    Art Team

      :SE_bw: :EoS: :VS: :O&G: :KoE:
    Graphic designer  cas-p.net
  • Another thing I was just thinking of, maybe @VisconteDimezzato of someone else from the PR team can shed some light on this.

    Youtube is full of popular wargaming vloggers, but 9th Age stays hidden away in the darkest corners of the site. Has anyone ever tried to talk to them about including some 9th Age content?

    People like Goobertown, Miniac, Blackmagiccraft, Dana Howl, Tabletoptime, On the Tabletop. They do a lot of GW supported stuff, but also Oldhammer and random games. A couple of them even had a #SquarebaseMay project, seems perfect for 9th Age.

    Or are they too deep in the pockets of GW? ;p
  • bas_2312 wrote:

    Another thing I was just thinking of, maybe @VisconteDimezzato of someone else from the PR team can shed some light on this.

    Youtube is full of popular wargaming vloggers, but 9th Age stays hidden away in the darkest corners of the site. Has anyone ever tried to talk to them about including some 9th Age content?

    People like Goobertown, Miniac, Blackmagiccraft, Dana Howl, Tabletoptime, On the Tabletop. They do a lot of GW supported stuff, but also Oldhammer and random games. A couple of them even had a #SquarebaseMay project, seems perfect for 9th Age.

    Or are they too deep in the pockets of GW? ;p
    I keep commenting on the twitter, youtube, and facebook posts of Dana Howl, Duncan, and Guerilla Miniature Games to do more ninth age stuff.

    Especially Dana and Ash from GMG - as both live maybe a 2 hour drive from me (in opposite directions).

    Head of Lectors

    Advisory Board

    "...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

    - Grouchy Badger

  • Casp wrote:

    kisanis wrote:

    there is nothing stopping people from sitting down and learning scribus (in all its clunky frustrating moments) to help us do layout.

    I’ll be honest, scribus sucks compared to Indesign or quark. But the price is right and anyone can learn it if they spend some time.
    Hum yes its true. Now , make a good layout require also some creative graphic design skill. To not juts fill the template, but also potentially create some decoration, or specific layout for particularity of each book.

    kisanis wrote:

    personally I think this is something we should focus our staff artists - setting up the visual identity guides for in-house and 3rd party commissions.
    Not sure what you mean by that.We already have an art visual guideline for each LAB.

    Now as i said not sure we are so much in difficulty for art. We need more artist for sure. But we started DE work in january. If we started in july like i would have liked we do; we could already have finished.
    And i hope EXB will soon choose ES or US LAB to allow art team to almost jump one book and go back into the run ^^
    Some internal discussions are already moving on this - but I think we're always playing catchup on art. Its a headache, but like anything lets define the problem then work on an actionable solution.

    I also want to clarify - we need *usable* art donations. And the more specific to T9A the better.

    Head of Lectors

    Advisory Board

    "...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

    - Grouchy Badger

  • So just to clarify, we are aware that some people would like to commission art works, or contribute to the project, and it's something we will continue to review with the Art Team.

    Ultimately, our primary focus is on the hard working members of the Art Team who give a lot of their time and produce bespoke T9A works!

    Executive Board

    Head of Background Team


    Team Scotland ETC 2019 Captain

    "No Timmy, you can't just copy what Lancelot did." Shlagrabak: "Sometimes no post is the best post."
  • ferny wrote:

    Shlagrabak wrote:

    It's so frustrating though because there is absolutely potential to find community members to pay for these art commissions, and these really help attract new players and have them grow an interest in the background.
    But non-staff run the risk of commissioning at best generic fantasy artwork (and we see a lot of that already due to the limited manpower), at worst something completely unusable due to IP problems without BGT input. Where the best use of artwork would be to highlight T9A-specific elements.

    I wonder if one way could be to publish the texts first, and then have non-staff commission art based on this and donate it to the project. Like, imagine a more illustrated version of circling the abyss with depictions of the specific scenes, or some V2 of the LABs. Still some disconnect between artists and writers but potential to produce richly illustrated books true to the story (with the degree of interpretation being that of the text), over time, without delaying the initial publication of the background. I guess that would require even more resources in the Layout department though...
    It feels like there could be a work around here by centralising. Rather than one random person taking the initiative to source random art to help the project, you have a project-wide donation option/crowd fund. This budget then gets allocated to someone like @Casp (a team leader in art). They are already commissioning art internally so should have a procedure for ensuring it matches BG criteria (and if not they'll need some BGT input before spending the cash). They'll know what we have and what we're missing, and where commissions could gap fill most effectively. Artistically, they'll also have an idea of desired styles and standards. Conflict with internal art is mitigated by selecting the art no one wants to/is able to/has capacity to do do.
    Agreed that would be the absolute best. But this work around doesn't work enough around if the project policy is to not commission paid art itself, and it's not willing to move that line at this time.
    So the question is: as non-staff community members that can't draw, what can we do for the project in that regard? My idea was, if the project accepts art donations, maybe we should organize ourselves and put some resources in common, in a way that doesn't engage the project responsibility. Extra support from the community if you will. And if that could be done with a communication channel with background writers, that'd be of course better.
  • Scottish Knight wrote:

    So just to clarify, we are aware that some people would like to commission art works, or contribute to the project, and it's something we will continue to review with the Art Team.

    Ultimately, our primary focus is on the hard working members of the Art Team who give a lot of their time and produce bespoke T9A works!
    This kinda says nothing though? We have an existing team of hard working Artists, so inevitably operational focus is on them. But it's not an either or, and it's something where parallel streams can run if organised appropriately. So while our primary focus remains with what we already have, what are the discussions with the Art team? There's clearly been discussion here, but what is that leading to with the internal discussions?

    A firm commitment of no on commissions? A process to obtain them to project satisfaction? A criteria threshold at which point to comission? Anything concrete with rationale?
    Join us on Ulthuan.net
  • Thinking of Yutube, one thing that I have noticed is that nearly every battle report channel that shows T9A does so with photos of the turns rather than an actual filmed game. Pretty much every channel that I follow showing other war games does so with live filming and play. The photo and chat format is a turn off for me and I know that others I am trying to lure into the game have said the same thing.

    If anyone does do battle report content, perhaps a suggestion would be to try and film your games in the more traditional format. I would guess it might help to influence others to try the game if they can watch a game and see how it is played.

    Just a thought.
    Legion of the Barrow Downs (Vampire Covenants) - 2120 points.

    "I see shapes of Men and of horses, and pale banners like shreds of cloud, and spears like winter-thickets on a misty night. The Dead are following."
  • ferny wrote:

    A firm commitment of no on commissions? A process to obtain them to project satisfaction? A criteria threshold at which point to comission? Anything concrete with rationale?
    A commitment right now on the open forum without having discussed it? Sorry, we don't have that at the moment.

    Executive Board

    Head of Background Team


    Team Scotland ETC 2019 Captain

    "No Timmy, you can't just copy what Lancelot did." Shlagrabak: "Sometimes no post is the best post."
  • Scottish Knight wrote:

    ferny wrote:

    A firm commitment of no on commissions? A process to obtain them to project satisfaction? A criteria threshold at which point to comission? Anything concrete with rationale?
    A commitment right now on the open forum without having discussed it? Sorry, we don't have that at the moment.
    Sorry I don't follow? A commitment to what on the open forum, or not discussed what?
    Join us on Ulthuan.net
  • ferny wrote:

    Sorry I don't follow? A commitment to what on the open forum, or not discussed what?
    I'm just saying we're not in a position to make a statement about commissioning art right now - for now I just wanted to say that our focus is on supporting the volunteer team.

    Executive Board

    Head of Background Team


    Team Scotland ETC 2019 Captain

    "No Timmy, you can't just copy what Lancelot did." Shlagrabak: "Sometimes no post is the best post."
  • The YouTuber "Influencer" that do that as a job will cover GW, it's a business decision and it's easy to spot since they will start to use GW lingo. Many do the same, run out of ideas and start to cross pollinate to push themselves.

    Views and clicks pay the bill and you steer away from controversy. It's not just on YouTube that T9A has a hard time to get a spotlight and I have seen some "influencers" get called out and full on defending their practices, which is perfectly within their rights. But then by law they should also start blending in the paid promotion a lot more when they get free GW boxes. Some spoke out and stopped getting free boxes.
    Cursed City exposed this in a big way. Getting a box does not pay bills, views on the content do. It's cheap labor for GW and a good deal for "Influencers" since it's easy content. Game got very bad press and shill videos still appeared for weeks because they had been made and time needs to be paid for.

    We produce regular content that can generate discussion like any other product line out there. It's work and less money to be had to make content for it. Support PR in branching out by voting with your likes. Support T9A any way you like, that's the bottom line. Don't ask what the project can do for you but what you can do with the project. :thumbsup:

    The post was edited 1 time, last by Little Joe ().