Pinned SA LAB Team and guidelines

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• If the Aztec them is going to keep being used then more should be built upon the sun and the darkness. Aztecs believed the sun fought the darkness.

Light magic or sun magic!!! We have a sun tablet already. Keep it going. Also if the Cuatl is so darn good at magic and terrible at melee then he shouldn’t cost so much. His magic isn’t nearly as good as UD magic. Either magic yes with this guy or magic no. Walk left side of the road safe. Walk right side of the road safe. Walk in the middle of the road, squashed just like grape. Get our Cuatl out of the middle of the road.
  • marcema wrote:

@Darkwise @wombat i respect that you dislike the concept and you don't have to like it all. I think the background is just a part of it and everyone is allowed to interpret it in their own way. After all, its fantasy as you said.

We appreciate your feedback, but that doesn't mean it is changed. If 80% likes it and 20% doesn't, so be it.

Though i think the given background doesn't say that caimans are hippy weed smoking poets, that's your own take on it to make it sound ridiculous. Wisdom comes with time and if caimans are the longest living among the species, it makes sense doesn't it?
    I am sorry that my position was badly received. Indeed, I was in the exaggeration and the second degree provocation. I am sorry.

It's true that when I read "poetry" ... I said to myself: "thin, but what a dissonance with what we currently have ..."
    And indeed, it's me who imagines this a little "bizarre" caiman. But this guidline of the poet caiman bothers me a lot in a game of battles.

That the caiman is a sage, a scholar, an inspiring spirit to other races, it can be good. But that a caiman participating in wars walks with a bird-paradise feather and writes the fables of Jean de la Fontaine ... I find that curious.

Be careful, this is my interpretation of the poet ... Maybe he is more baddass in other countries ....
    Casual french player who want the success of the 9th age in the whole world ;) !
  • lawgnome wrote:

@Darkwise

If you are curious, here is the TV Tropes page for Warrior Poet. It will give you a lot of pop culture examples of what a warrior poet is and why it might be a good fit for Caiman.
    There is no doubt in my mind that Warrior and Poet are a well known combination ( the number of WW1 poets being an example ) it's the addition of " Alligator " to the mix that doesn't fit imho.

If staying with Aztec / Maya background use Ahuizoti or Cipactli instead of Caiman ?
  • wombat wrote:

There is no doubt in my mind that Warrior and Poet are a well known combination ( the number of WW1 poets being an example ) it's the addition of " Alligator " to the mix that doesn't fit imho.
    Honestly, I think it is the perfect mix. Alligators are well known as ambush predators. They are calm, collected, patient...and then they strike with deadly fury.

A humanoid alligator would have the same traits. A calm demeanor, a knowledge that they don't need to go out to seek bloodshed - bloodshed will come to them and they will emerge victorious once again. A patient warrior will take in their surroundings, acknowledge all of the aspects of the world around them, and use that knowledge to their advantage.

With all that patience, with all that time spent observing the world around them, why wouldn't they become contemplative?

Think of Piandao from Avatar: he practices calligraphy, paints, landscapes - all of which are artistic pursuits that make him a better swordsman.
  • lawgnome wrote:

wombat wrote:

Honestly, I think it is the perfect mix. Alligators are well known as ambush predators. They are calm, collected, patient...and then they strike with deadly fury.
    A humanoid alligator would have the same traits. A calm demeanor, a knowledge that they don't need to go out to seek bloodshed - bloodshed will come to them and they will emerge victorious once again. A patient warrior will take in their surroundings, acknowledge all of the aspects of the world around them, and use that knowledge to their advantage.

With all that patience, with all that time spent observing the world around them, why wouldn't they become contemplative?

Think of Piandao from Avatar: he practices calligraphy, paints, landscapes - all of which are artistic pursuits that make him a better swordsman.
    Okay so a new unit! Biting the enemy and then make the enemy unit move in a circle motion around your unit in 360°

:) sounds fun!

Product-Search

KoE Community Support

Lord of the Hobby

Follow my games here: the-ninth-age.com/community/in…%C3%BCnchen-und-umgebung/
  • I didn't read anything samurai related background concepts from the design guidelines.

Samurai are real world example of warriors who were engaged in deep philosophical contemplating and arts. Post civil war era samurai at least. To me this is more of a proof of concept how something can be both deep thinkers and brutal warriors at the same time. In this instance they are caimans.
  • Reptile brain is a primitive driven thinking style.

I don’t know where this deep thinking caiman, crocodile, alligator philosopher angle is coming from. SA warriors should be brutal, cold blooded, predator, not some pansy deep thinking poet who writes poems about trees.

Playing a dinosaur based army I seriously doubt the attraction would be a warrior poet society of deep thinkers. It is about the raw primitive power of the Jurassic!!! What has been described above sounds like elf nonsense. There are already 3 books for elves. We don’t need a 4th wanna be elf book.
  • The released t9A background describes the SA as the Ancient Reptiloid Evils from the 1st Age. This fits perfectly for a saurian based army (big Dinos surpressing little mammals). This should be the first background string of the SA book.

The second string should be based on a real civilization. The list is almost unlimited Stone Agers, Mayas, Aztecs, Native Americans, Celtics or Samurais.

No matter what will happen to the SA, plz keep it straight and dont mix too many things together.

Keep on going.
  • GorillaConda wrote:

I don’t know where this deep thinking caiman, crocodile, alligator philosopher angle is coming from. SA warriors should be brutal, cold blooded, predator, not some pansy deep thinking poet who writes poems about trees.
    Sun Tzu is probably the best known warrior poet of all time. Would you consider him to be a pansy?
  • lawgnome wrote:

GorillaConda wrote:

Sun Tzu is probably the best known warrior poet of all time. Would you consider him to be a pansy?
    Whilst ( as stated previously ) there are numerous Warrior/ Poets in History surely the Whole Purpose of this thread is to inform players and obtain feedback ?
    Feedback by definition can be Positive / Neutral / Negative. Not having a go but the " official " replies all seem somwhat dismissive.
    Some Players ( including myself ) have expressed their concerns which I consider only right and proper.
  • lawgnome wrote:

GorillaConda wrote:

I don’t consider Sun Tzu a caiman either so I have no idea where you are trying to get with that statement.

There are many types of warriors not just poets. I do not think SA need to be poet warriors. Leave that to the elves. SA are freaking dinosaurs. Primitive. Primal. Powerful. They are not contemplative. Patient sure, but some deep thinking Mensa member NOPE.
  • wombat wrote:

Whilst ( as stated previously ) there are numerous Warrior/ Poets in History surely the Whole Purpose of this thread is to inform players and obtain feedback ?
    Feedback by definition can be Positive / Neutral / Negative. Not having a go but the " official " replies all seem somwhat dismissive.
    Some Players ( including myself ) have expressed their concerns which I consider only right and proper.
    Yes, feedback is good. I am merely commenting on the fact that some people are looking at the term "warrior poet" and then providing feedback that "poets are all pansy deep thinkers writing poems about trees" and that this does not make any sense to them. I am trying to help people understand that "poet" and "warrior poet" are not the same thing.

It is fine if you do not like something. That feedback is great. I just want to make sure that people are not getting a wrong impression and basing their dislike on that. If you still do not like it, then that is perfectly fine too.
  • lawgnome wrote:

wombat wrote:

Yes, feedback is good. I am merely commenting on the fact that some people are looking at the term "warrior poet" and then providing feedback that "poets are all pansy deep thinkers writing poems about trees" and that this does not make any sense to them. I am trying to help people understand that "poet" and "warrior poet" are not the same thing.
    It is fine if you do not like something. That feedback is great. I just want to make sure that people are not getting a wrong impression and basing their dislike on that. If you still do not like it, then that is perfectly fine too.
    Well @lawgnome maybe the fact that your tag designates that you are part of the LAB team you should be more careful with throwing your position around making it sound like dinosaurs will now be poets.

If you are aghast at my critique about the poet warrior idea maybe you shouldn’t be part of a redesign if you only want to hear from sycophants.

I think the whole warrior poet idea is silly. Making a dinosaur a poet is ridiculous. I don’t paint and push around little toy soldiers on a gaming table just to start having to deal with Maya Angelou dinosaurs.
    I chose to have my dinosaurs stay Jurassic.
  • (not commenting in staff role)

GorillaConda wrote:

I swim in the water
    Want to kill eat anything
    I crocodile

A Haiku from a crocodile poet
    Genuine kudos for what might be the first haiku used to deliver feedback to the project.

I propose that from now on, all negative feedback must be provided in some form of verse :)
    Any feedback delivered in iambic pentameter will count for double :D

(In case the tone isn't clear, I genuinely like the Haiku, and my subsequent comment is just meant to be light hearted silliness :) ).
    List repository and links HERE
    Basic beginners tactics HERE
    Empire of Dannstahl HERE