VS LAB Mechanics Phase Update 13

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• VS LAB Mechanics Phase Update 13

Couple of notes:
    • This is a mount option for the Swarm Priest
    • Borne into Battle is a new name for State of Trance, and does much the same thing. Assume the usual suspects are involved as far as pushing this thing around.
    This is a pivotal model for the army. It should have a powerful impact, but not cause your opponents to tear their hair out. It went through several revisions to try to get it just right. We're not saying this is the final answer, but we're finally happy enough with it to show it to you all.

Disclaimer:
    We as a team want to keep you informed of progress as it happens. However, you must understand that anything we show you now can and most likely will be changed before release, once it is seen how the entire design functions. The idea right now is that we will share with you, the community, on a regular basis.

When speculating, keep in mind that we did not show you the guidelines so the LAB team could ignore them. The guidelines and your and stakeholder's feedback are essential to ensure a design team stays within set boundaries. These guidelines are the framework for any discussions. Although it is not inconceivable to alter the guidelines, it is very unlikely. Should this occur, we will update you, so we keep the same framework in our ongoing communications. Currently the VS LAB team initiated a first round of feedback on rules produced so far. Stakeholders review these rules to make sure we stay within our boundaries set by the design guidelines and the LAB team's concept (tighter guidelines). The stakeholders can also identify potential issues as do you, the community, when we show you ideas. This is an ongoing process with checks and balances. Even so, we know not everyone will be happy, the only promise we can make is to give our best to give you an interesting and good set of rules grounded in T9A lore. Beyond tokens there will be in world reasons for everything and that should help get the right feel playing this arm.
    Please leave your assassins at the door.
  • Speaking in tongues bound spell should be able to cast boosted version. In general pulpit seems good, bell's a little meh. 8 str 5 attacks is ok but bell effect seems like it would only be useful on occasion. Not really inspiring.

Thanks for the spoiler :)

Oh the acolytes themselves will poison on 5+. Still ap 0 but pretty neat. I'm looking forward to learning more about infected vs non infected.
    The Beauty of the House is immeasurable; its Kindness infinite.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Cultivator ().

• Eldan wrote:

Meh. Making the bell a musician is a nice idea, but otherwise, it's a bit... boring. No cool sonic effect on the bell, no building up momentum by ringing it in, no poison fog, no giant spiky ball of doom, no way for platforms to implode or backfire...
    I'm a bit of the same opinion. I appreciate merging the two and nerfing the pendulum in particular but this new iteration lacks oomph. And oomph does not necessarily mean buff, but rather something that makes its presence truly felt on the battlefield. This should especially be the case if they're both 0-1. Empire buff wagons have similar effects (bound spell and special rule aura) but those are special units (and mounts).

At the bare minimum, I'd like to see some kind of overcharge, or spending veil tokens to boost or use different abilities. Would also be neat to see all units within X" suffer damage as these things go down.
    My wife and I just released our first video game title!
  • Hombre de Mundo wrote:

Eldan wrote:

Meh. Making the bell a musician is a nice idea, but otherwise, it's a bit... boring. No cool sonic effect on the bell, no building up momentum by ringing it in, no poison fog, no giant spiky ball of doom, no way for platforms to implode or backfire...
    I'm a bit of the same opinion. I appreciate merging the two and nerfing the pendulum in particular but this new iteration lacks oomph. And oomph does not necessarily mean buff, but rather something that makes its presence truly felt on the battlefield. This should especially be the case if they're both 0-1. Empire buff wagons have similar effects (bound spell and special rule aura) but those are special units (and mounts).
    At the bare minimum, I'd like to see some kind of overcharge, or spending veil tokens to boost or use different abilities. Would also be neat to see all units within X" suffer damage as these things go down.
    the 6++, with Parry Rats, Life is Cheap, Double Legion Banner for a Static Res of 7....

That should win a few combats on its own, trust me. Especially with magic and REDACTED being in the book. It’s got a build that I think is good (though not AS good as Pendulum plus OTHER REDACTION). :)
  • Aenarion43 wrote:

Hombre de Mundo wrote:

Eldan wrote:

I'm a bit of the same opinion. I appreciate merging the two and nerfing the pendulum in particular but this new iteration lacks oomph. And oomph does not necessarily mean buff, but rather something that makes its presence truly felt on the battlefield. This should especially be the case if they're both 0-1. Empire buff wagons have similar effects (bound spell and special rule aura) but those are special units (and mounts).At the bare minimum, I'd like to see some kind of overcharge, or spending veil tokens to boost or use different abilities. Would also be neat to see all units within X" suffer damage as these things go down.
    the 6++, with Parry Rats, Life is Cheap, Double Legion Banner for a Static Res of 7....
    That should win a few combats on its own, trust me. Especially with magic and REDACTED being in the book. It’s got a build that I think is good (though not AS good as Pendulum plus OTHER REDACTION). :)
    So what? Any army can win combat. What majes it uniquely ours?
  • Musicien 18″ means the whole enemy army on two thirds of the table makes -1 Discipline roll every time any unit wants to March

That's what i call a « cool sonic effect »

Russian Translation Coordinator

Translation-Team FR

Public Relations

Linguistic Team

GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
    First T9A player in West Africa
  • Absolutely hate it.

Speaking in tongues as a bound spell? Why take the least casted spell from Thauma and force it on to the player? DS1, really? Aegis 5+ sure I can buy that with 7w but that Bell ability is just so lackluster that it makes my skin crawl. So far I haven't seen one single thing that I like with this new book, and this is nothing that I wanna say but just how I see it. I really was hoping for something here.

If you guys are going to mess the book up as much as you are doing for the moment then please take all the time you want. Please for me postpone it into oblivion.
  • Hombre de Mundo wrote:

Eldan wrote:

Eldan wrote:

Not even oomph, though that too. Character.

They are just plattforms with bound spells. Anyone could have these. There's nothing that makes you say "oh how typically verminous". Which for the big centerpiece of the army is disappointing.
    Well I think the plague version really works character wise! And I don’t think it’s weak I mean 8 acolytes with 5+ poison is not bad at all.

However the bell version is a bit lacking flavourwise. Bell has always been a centerpiece. Maybe it wouldn’t be the worst idea to keep the 2 as separate entries (if the complexity budget allows it)?
  • Aenarion43 wrote:

I’m NGL, I’m surprised nobody’s deduced A Thing that you can figure out from the spoiler about Another Thing.
    My guess is that you're referring to Plague Infected? I did wonder whether that would be a rule unique to the swarm priest or not and this hints to other units having that rule - which would be neat!

Aenarion43 wrote:

Don't get me wrong, there's some potential builds that I see being useful. But like Eldan said, that's not really the point. I don't want them to be good necessarily, I want them to be unique and flavourful. Maybe do something unexpected. Something that makes my opponent laugh or go "no way!"
    I think the LAB team has delivered on some of these types of rules. Detonating tunnels, overcharging, killing friendlies... all good rules that give VS a great sense of identity. This on the other hand feels kind of bland. And bland is okay, it can't all be awesome crazy fun, but for the big 60x100mm, 0-1 unit that towers over the rest of your army... that should be something special.
    My wife and I just released our first video game title!