Community Cooperation Event: 3D-modeling Klepa and Fleabag

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Community Cooperation Event: 3D-modeling Klepa and Fleabag

Hello nice people of the Ninth Age forums!

3D modelling is getting more common in our hobby and the ways of creating and sharing your digital sculpts is easier than ever. Flea Market is a creative collective and we work together on a lot of different types of models. Cooperation is key for us and we want to show how easy it actually is to make a miniature. And what better way of doing that, than to hold a community cooperation event?

Over the next few weeks, we’re looking for anyone on the forum to join in making a 3D model of T9A’s mascot Klepa, his companion Fleabag, and all the rare and invaluable artifacts from all around the world that’s Fo Zale! In participating, you’ll find that there is not just one correct way to make a sculpt. Just like painting, there are many roads to success and mixing them all together should make an accurate portrayal of Klepa and Fleabag.

How do I participate?
      In the spoiler below you’ll find an extensive list of objects we’ll need. Make a post and let us know you want to join in the fun. Pick an object you want to make and the timer starts ticking for you - you have one week to complete it.

List of items, derived from this image:
      Display Spoiler

1. Knight helmet
      2. Spear
      3. Buckler
      4. Small vial of powder
      5. Jar of Devil Eyes
      6. Skull of a bastard
      7. Two human teeth
      8. Key
      9. Holy Grail with grapes
      10. Tape measure
      11. Large monster skull
      12. Two small pouches
      13. Dwarf mug
      14. Pyramid die
      15. Ring
      16. Fancy Ring
      17. Scissors
      18. Short sword
      19. Monkey’s Paw
      20. Wood Heart
      21. Bundle of sticks
      22. Three vials
      23. Vamp teeth
      24. Small miniature
      25. Two Dice
      26. Brush
      27. Rug
      28. Backpack
      29. Folding stool
      30. Fleabag
      31. Naked Klepa [SFW]
      32. Klepa’s hat

33. Klepa’s bracelet

34. Klepa’s shoulder pads

35. Klepa’s shirt

36. Klepa’s torso belt with buckles

37. Klepas belt with pocket pouches

38. Klepa’s pants

39. Klepa’s shoe

40. And of course a Fo Zale sign

Number 31 (Naked Klepa) needs to be completed before the remaining items (all marked in blue), to ensure it all fits together at the end.

Can there be only one of each object?
      Yes but with some leeway. Obviously, we couldn’t have two Klepas. But if there are duplicates of minor objects such as a ring or a vial, that’s okay. So while we encourage you to take on something that’s not claimed yet, it is your choice.

How much time do I need for this, realistically?
      We suggest picking an object suitable for the time you want to set aside. Most objects are small or not very detailed and can be done in an hour or two. Also, we intend to use this thread to help eachother out if you bump into trouble, so don’t fret!

But I can’t sculpt!!1!?
      This might be a good time to start! You can do it with almost any computer, for free. There are plenty of tutorials out there if you want to get started. If you reach a point where you may be half done but don’t know how to progress, you can always ask for help or submit the half-finished sculpt to someone else to finish. The important thing is that we try new things and enjoy ourselves :)
      But if you’re not into sculpting, you could also submit concept art of a certain item to help a sculptor out. Maybe you enjoy making renders or texture painting once the sculpts are done. There are many ways to contribute!

What happens when it’s done?
      The finished model will be available as a free download on Flea Market’s storefront on MyMiniFactory.

What’s in it for me?
      You not only get to have fun and partake in a community challenge but you also get to become a model sculptor and maybe see your sculpt on a battlefield someday! Not to mention the free model!

Will you have future community events?
      We don’t have any concrete ideas at this time (we just started, give us a break xD) but if this goes well we hope to do more of them, yes! Feel free to give us suggestions!

Tell me more about Flea Market!
      Check out our support company thread.
      Check out our storefront on MyMiniFactory!

Join us in sculpting Klepa and Fleabag!

The post was edited 5 times, last by Flea Market ().

• I am on board, I wonder why. :thumbsup:

Hopefully we can show you all how simple this can be. If you just want to give 3D design a try and you pick Blender to do it, do not hesitate to tag me when you have a question.

This is going to be fun.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Little Joe ().

• So, 3D modelling, how does it work and how hard is it?

Sit down beardling and here me tell you a tale of old. :D
      No worries, let me start at the end. The desired end product matters for what you do and in 3D printing, slicers (the software making your object printable) accept almost anything. Dirty and bad geometry are no problem as long as they are closed. So what is closed? Think of your geometry as a balloon, the outer skin should not have a gap or it deflates.

And that's it, with these requirements in mind there is only one rule for 3D modelling:
      There is no THE way in 3D modelling.
      Anyone telling you different lies, even within a method there are many options based on the software you use. There are many ways and some are better at some things than others but in the end you should pick a method you enjoy and that works for you.

So let me give you examples of just a few methods:
      1. Kitbashing with basic geometry, create a lot of simple objects or use a library and stick them together. This is why and how we can work together on a single model as well. You can make any object with simple objects LEGO style without bothering that they fit, just stick them into each other and done.
      2. Classic sculpting just with digital tools. Can be done with a mouse but a pressure sensitive pen is better. The biggest difference is the amount of tools you have and that you do not need to wait for putty to cure. If you know traditional sculpting then use the same workflow, do not start with the end result but start low detail and work your way up in layers increasing detail.
      3. Poly-modeling, this method is where you make low detail meshes that almost look like what you want and then have the computer turn it into what you really wanted with high detail. This method can help you make animated meshes that can be deformed (for example a hand with many positions from one object) but it is also great for hard edge modelling where you want mechanical objects. The high level of edge and geometry control enables you to make anything and have a single clean mesh to begin with.
      4. Non destructive modeling with modifier stacks, in short make something super simple and trick your way up to extreme high detail meshes with little effort, this method is good for repetitive tasks. This method uses algorithms and arrays to simulate effects that you can finetune until you commit when you are happy. Simply by replacing the object you work on with another, you can use the same stack again and again. So while building the stack may be more work, if you want to do it often, this will save you a lot of time in the end.
      5. There's a lot more, I only learned these so far, so much to explore ... You can model just by drawing, you can model using nodes and and and ...
      Exploring more options helps you learn technical terms and talk with each other, in the end how you made it does not matter at all. Often it can be advantageous to use more than one of the methods above. And that is where teamwork starts to become amazing, share tasks and knowledge and together you will have more than the sums of the parts.

So pick an object from the list above, even with zero experience and start asking how you can make it or show others how you made the object. This event is as much about making nice things as it is about sharing knowledge.

Want me to show you any of the techniques above in detail? Let me know, join the fun!
    • Tough crowd :D , trust me it is easy, so let me spend 15 minutes and do this to show it:

3D design is so much easier when you start with a concept drawing, it takes away the guesswork and you can still add or distract where needed. With the image above we are off to a solid start, so how do I tackle an object?
      If you are an artist and prefer to draw, you can help out by providing concept sketches for an object.

Step 1, picking the object from the list. Obviously I am not going to rob you of some of the simpler ones, so I will pick the ring with the gemstone to show a few concepts. I will leave the other ring for someone else, but most objects are really simple when you follow a few simple steps.

Step 2, what shapes do I see? A torus, another torus holding the gemstone and obviously the gemstone

Step 3, do I already have an asset I can reuse? I happen to know that Blender has Gemstones as objects from an add-on and it can also add a torus as a basic shape. So yay, all is covered and I just need to add and combine 3 parts!

Step 4, I use Blender because it’s free, powerful and it comes with a commercial license. I really enjoy Blender but it is a bit of a jack of all trades and that makes it hard to get started. That is where an event like this one can help. There are other people to ask (ask me how simple it is to do those vampire teeth), use that. I use it to learn dirty modeling, so let’s get started.
      A word on scale, do not bother with units, just count relative, the basic settings and then using 1m as 1mm works best. In the end 1 is just 1 without a unit, the unit is set by the slicer and will be mm in most cases.

A torus, a second smaller torus at 90 degrees and a gemstone, tada:

Ok, so obviously that looks a bit rough so with the magic of some modifiers I can smooth the outer surface and join the objects into one mesh. The important part here is to not apply the modifiers, you do that when exporting the file as an STL file to print.

Is that not pretty?
      You can download the blend file here to have a look yourself.
      Now I know the ring looks rather thick, when designing keep in mind that 3D printers and your eyes have limits, so for 28mm I use .3mm as minimal detail and something that should not break must be at least 1mm thick (1.5 is better). This ring will fit a 1mm finger and look good.

Not pretty enough? Well digital has many options for end products. If you like to texture paint digital assets and make renders or game assets, feel free to make a nice image with that ring.

As you can see I am horrible at it, so if you are better than me and want to help, let us know!

• No idea how to twist such a small object to fit the probably not real items on the carpet but to dent it. Should I dent it? Any better ideas?

Poly-modeling!

This is my preferred method, the one I learned first. You start with a very simple mesh and manipulate it to fit the 2D shape. Basically all you need is 3 images (front, side and top-view. Very much like a technical drawing and then you can fit your mesh perfectly.

Here I obviously only have one image to work with, so I looked for a similar helmet online and made a mood board. While doing so I learned how you can put the helmet on. Always great to learn new stuff. So now that I know how such helmets look, back to the original image.
      I started with a sphere (UV)16 segments and 8 rings. This is at the top end of what you should work with. You have enough geometry for manipulations and still simple enough to manipulate by hand.
      So let’s block in the shape I can see:

From here I must decide what I want from such a helmet and what is easy to make. The ring protecting the neck is a fixed part and not shown in the Klepa image the visor is in 2 parts where half flows into that neck protection. This part seems to be hinged, at the back there is a thing to lock the visor in place.
      With poly modelling you only use a few options in the edit menu such as extrusion, insert, bevel and loop cut to modify the geometry. This method works especially well when you have multiple views to check against.

Time to add some details. So far I only made one clean mesh (outer hull)and used a subdivision modifier to multiply the detail and smooth curves. Over this process you can get a high level of control with experience.
      Fully functional helmet with a belt to get it on your head and close it.The thingy at the back is where the plume goes.

Now the belt to close the helmet I am not 100% sure on and adding that detail now that the helmet is fairly detailed is possible, but hard.So I just made it as a separate object and joined the 2. Works just the same in the end and saves a lot of time. And if I decide that Ido not like it, then it just takes 1 second to undo.
      The disadvantage is that where so far I had a high level of edge control,I loose it at the intersection. Since this is tiny detail, you can’t see that when printed and saving time is better.
      And to address it,some parts look a bit toony, but in reality that is less than 1mm and I need space to put paint on with a brush. This works better to paint. Just my preference and if your model looks different then that is just fine, we want to show variation here.

I hope you liked this and if you have any questions, go ahead.

• Great video @Hombre de Mundo, I will be honest, sometimes that dirty design still makes me cringe and cry a bit inside. Yet it shows very well how easy it is to make 3D printable items, so if you read this, why not give it a try?

Not feeling like showing cheats today, going to start on Fleabag to leave the smaller items for others. :thumbsup:
    • VisconteDimezzato wrote:

@Calisson maybe we can launch it on the next Supporting Companies news.
      I think we already put it in there. Timid people, but we will be around for a while anyone can step in anytime!

Want to give it a try? ;)
    • VisconteDimezzato wrote:

@Calisson maybe we they can launch it on the next Supporting Companies news.
      Company News is exclusively the company's initiative, not us to decide.
      That is to guarantee that we don't play any favorite.

Us picking up one a company of our choice, that's for the 9th Scroll.

Advisory Board

Background Team

Social Media Team

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
    • Poly modeling is just what I am most comfortable with, so I will use it to make the base shape again.

There you can see a bit of my mood board, with just one angle I need more information.

And an in between after roughly blocking out the body. I will make the head as it's own piece just as I did with the tail. When the rough shape is done, I will remesh the model and do some actual sculpting in 2 stages. Sculpting has the tools I want for the final touches.

So hopefully with another part done soon. :thumbsup:
    • Going to stop today, and I am going to leave you wonderful people with a top down teaser:

Better get on it and pick an item to help out or the easy ones will be gone soon ... :evil:
    • Hey guys, i'm in it for the monster skull !
      We are not the smartest
      But there's more of us
      We are not the strongest
      But there's more of us
      We are not the fastest
      But there's more of us
      By our tide you will fall
      Until you never get up.

-------------------------

Nous ne sommes pas les plus intelligents
      Mais nous sommes les plus nombreux
      Nous ne sommes pas les plus forts
      Nous ne sommes pas les plus fulgurants
      Par notre marée vous tomberez
      Jusqu'à ne jamais vous relever.
    • Little Joe wrote:

So the sculpt above is what I would prefer for painting, I asked and got advice to add more fur. Let me know if you too want it to be more furry. :D
      Yeah i think that a few mor tuft with sharper edges could be a nice add-on. Like different hair texture, to give it wet hair areas and others dry ones.

So guess what ?! I'm done with the skull ! :p Where do i upload it ?
      We are not the smartest
      But there's more of us
      We are not the strongest
      But there's more of us
      We are not the fastest
      But there's more of us
      By our tide you will fall
      Until you never get up.

-------------------------

Nous ne sommes pas les plus intelligents
      Nous ne sommes pas les plus forts
      Nous ne sommes pas les plus fulgurants
      Par notre marée vous tomberez
      Jusqu'à ne jamais vous relever.
    • @Loricen Wow, that's amazing!

For Flea Market internally we use GitHub, you are the first to help (many thanks!) so I guess we set something up fast to share in this project. Let me get back to you on that.

And if you want, then you are more than welcome to fur up Fleabag. :D