Gods Only the Foolish Call Dark - jimmygrill's WDG Blag

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• saint_barbara wrote:

This happens so often to me with the VC - everything seems to be going smoothly, I start telling teammates I'll get 15+ and last two turns the tide turns and everything is spiraling downwards. Currently I don't even try to push unless it's breakthrough. The dead are deceitful and can stack a good amount of buffs on long combats plus they have some of the best chaff units in the game.
      If you get stuck it tends to be the CR that gets you ;)
      Getting charged in the flank by zombies / skeletons can already seal the deal
      Battle Reports in German (TTW): Spartans - what is your profession?
    • GabbaGandalf wrote:

saint_barbara wrote:

This happens so often to me with the VC - everything seems to be going smoothly, I start telling teammates I'll get 15+ and last two turns the tide turns and everything is spiraling downwards. Currently I don't even try to push unless it's breakthrough. The dead are deceitful and can stack a good amount of buffs on long combats plus they have some of the best chaff units in the game.
      If you get stuck it tends to be the CR that gets you ;)Getting charged in the flank by zombies / skeletons can already seal the deal
      Happened to my Exalted in this game as well. Funny thing is, it is exactly predictable... I just went in without doing some math first :thumbdown:

One of those things that really upset me after the game.
    • Izomov wrote:

Holy hell these are some dank reports, so detailed!
      Truly an excellent piece of work.
      Got any wisdom to share on that front?
      Umm... I guess...

But what exactly do you mean by "so detailed"? The whole point of those reports is that they are very much abbreviated, and it's more about general ideas about the strategy or matchup and what can be improved, and not a blow-by-blow recitation of what happened.

One thing I recommend is taking a picture every turn, at the end of the movement phase. With that as a crutch for your brain, you can remember most things, even after a week or so ;)
    • Izomov wrote:

Detailed in the meaning that you get your reasoning and thoughts in there, as well as a good breakdown of the game, without being a play by play report. I really enjoy the format.
      Yeah, me too.

I‘ve picked it up from some people preparing for ETC, the best example here in the forums is The Kremlin. The general structure (pre-game musings, compact game description, post-game learning points) is sound and gives a surprisingly good account of a game.

I just slightly expanded it with 2-3 pictures from mid-game so it is easier to follow and a bit more sexy for readers :D

And the occasional meme for good measure, of course, again to make things a bit more light and entertaining for the casual reader.
      :thumbup:
    • #BLAG_018
      #KFC18 BatRep: Game 2 vs. Klexe / KoE

VS.

The second game of the tournament was to be against tournament co-organizer and forum notoriety legend @Klexe
      Not the greatest prospect for catching up in points after my disappointing first game, a difficult opponent for sure. Part of the challenge is, he barely stops talking. Ever. 8o

Deployment (Refused Flank)
      We traded some units until I dropped for first. This pic shows the situation after my turn 1:

Mission: King of the Hill. He had to take the field (which was a ruin at that point, with compliments from the Wasteland Torch), I had to take the hill.

Display Spoiler

My list:
      Warriors of the Dark Gods
      830 - Exalted Herald
      630 - Chosen Lord, General, War Dais, Trophy Rack (Wasteland Torch), Shield, Halberd (King Slayer), Talisman of Shielding, Obsidian Rock, Sloth
      370 - Sorcerer, Wizard Master, Alchemy, Light Armour
      720 - 20 Warriors, Sloth, Standard Bearer (Banner of Speed), Musician, Champion
      180 - 15 Barbarians, Shield, Standard Bearer, Musician, Champion
      310 - Battleshrine
      255 - 3 Forsworn, Spiked Shield, Musician
      145 - 5 Flayers
      95 - 5 Warhounds
      95 - 5 Warhounds
      480 - Feldrak Elder, Halberd
      390 - Forsaken One

His list:
      Kingdom of Equitaine
      605 - Duke, General, Pegasus, Shield (Fortress of Faith), Lance (Supernatural Dexterity), Basalt Infusion, Obsidian Rock, Might, Grail Oath
      385 - Damsel, Barded Warhorse, Wizard Master, Druidism
      310 - Paladin, Barded Warhorse, Shield, Battle Standard Bearer, Lance (Wyrmwood Core), Alchemist's Alloy, Grail Oath
      110 - Castellan, Horse, Bannerman
      596 - 12 Knights Aspirant, Standard Bearer (Banner of the Last Charge), Musician, Champion
      275 - 6 Knights of the Realm, Musician, Champion
      275 - 6 Knights of the Realm, Musician, Champion
      732 - 9 Knights of the Grail, Standard Bearer (Aether Icon), Musician, Champion
      375 - The Green Knight
      130 - Scorpion
      130 - Scorpion
      575 - 5 Pegasus Knights, Loose Formation, Standard Bearer (Banner of Roland), Champion

Pre-Game:
      • The KoE list looks deceptively small. However, with Druidism any damage I might inflict could be quickly healed. Also, those big knight units can stick around for ages as long as they are within range of general and BSB.
      • Alchemy will be very useful, especially Corruption of Tin, which I will use to start off every magic phase. In general, permanent hex spells seem more useful than damage spells here.
      • Scorpions are a threat to my single model units and should be taken out asap.
      • While the Nukujabrick should be able to handle any KoE unit on its own, I'll have to watch out for combined charges and/or flank charges.
      • Most Knight units don't have great Dis on their own. I'll look out for opportunities to panic them off the table with terror when they aren't in the bubble.
      • Herald took Unholy Avatar (divine attacks) and Abiding Spirit (healing, also hard target against those Scorpions).
      • Basic battle plan is for the Forsworn and Barbarians to hold back and occupy the objective hill at the end of the game, while the NukujaBrick goes forward to engage the big lances and together with the single models hopefully clears the field objective.

Overview:
      • In the early turns, I push forward and manage to put some lucky Corruption of Tins on some units (hilariously bad dispel attempts). I also manage to almost magic off the northern Scorpion with a boosted Hellfire, but it remains in play with 1HP.
      • The Green Knight turns up in T1 already and continues to zone me and limit my movements. I mostly use the Herald to keep him honest, but this ties up the Herald.
      • In T2, the Knights charge some of my chaff units; in my T3, the Forsaken One fails to counter, the Feldrak attempts to terror off the small Realms (they hold on Dis9 without BSB); everything else realigns.

• Big turn in the magic phase, my opponent uses almost all dispel dice to stop Corruption of Tin and I get a Silver Spike off on the Duke, cheekily one-shotting him. It's about 50/50 to get an unsaved wound, and from then on its all down to a D3... which worked in my favour here.
      • His Impact Errants charge my Forsaken One and insta-kill it.
      • His Grail lance march toward my Sorceress who had just speared the Duke and fry her with the Wyrmwood breath attack. Didn't see that coming.
      • Now, the battle had evolved to a complicated situation where both our armies were heavily entangled and nobody had clear charges. So what followed was a merry dance and lots of reforms and repositioning, with both players trying not to give the opponent a good charge and trying to get the objective.

• In the end, I got the chaff Castellan and the Errants (who couldn't get away from the Herald), and I managed to finish the almost-dead Scorpion with a spell. I tried to terror a Realm unit off the board, but it held on its own Dis.
      • The KoE got half points for my Barbarians (fleeing) and the second Hound unit, plus the Feldrak gave up half points to the surviving Scorpion.
      • We both managed to take our objective terrain piece.
      • In the end, a low-casualty 10-10 but with a LOT of movement shenanigans, so a hard-fought game in that sense.

Learning:
      • Knight lances, despite looking unwieldy, actually have a lot of mobility in the hands of a good KoE player. Swift reform + 8" advance or a simple march with a large wheel can really get you places. I need to pay better attention to where supposedly cornered units can go, and measure out gaps between my units or terrain to make sure the enemy cannot simply march through.
      • The KoE railroaded my Nukujanrick on several occasions with small, mobile single models. Main reason for that was I didn't play compact enough and didn't zone well enough. That was very annoying and very effective. The good thing is, this also works perfectly against lances, so I need to keep this in mind next time. I threw away my Flayers way too easy in this game, should have kept them for stuff like this.

• While damage spells aren't great against Knight units, they are very useful against single models. Corruption of Tin is also ridiculously effective in this matchup.
      • I'm wondering if it hadn't been a possible play to go full tilt at the enemy objective (field) with my brick and deny him his objective. Probably would have been diffcult to get my objective in this case, though.
      • Again not happy with how I handled my chaff. Only one unit actually did what it is supposed to in this game, and even then it was too far back to do it 100% the way I would have liked.
      • I like how I played the Forsworn here, even though it could have been close in the end, when they were charged by the Green Knight and had to hold for a turn (which they did).
      • Not happy about losing the Sorceress again. Need to better check for sources of ranged damage before putting her out of her unit, and/or invest in some protection.

• re railroading:

I remember watching a batrep where Lord Tremendous railroaded a fluff player's abomination for an entire game and thinking that it was bad form. I'm not sure that I have the same feeling in a tournament setting, but this seems to be a solid tactic for dealing with the Nukujabrick... Is the brick heavily dependent on ranks/steadfast? Could you deploy in a wider formation so as to be able to minimise the railroad effect and at a key time reform narrow and create space for movement?
      "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."
    • Fleshbeast wrote:

re railroading:

I remember watching a batrep where Lord Tremendous railroaded a fluff player's abomination for an entire game and thinking that it was bad form. I'm not sure that I have the same feeling in a tournament setting, but this seems to be a solid tactic for dealing with the Nukujabrick... Is the brick heavily dependent on ranks/steadfast? Could you deploy in a wider formation so as to be able to minimise the railroad effect and at a key time reform narrow and create space for movement?
      Shouldn't be kind of hard to railroad a random movement model? As in... "Oh, then I just charge that."
    • subspace wrote:

Fleshbeast wrote:

re railroading:

Shouldn't be kind of hard to railroad a random movement model? As in... "Oh, then I just charge that."
      Not sure but I an remember shennenigans against the random movers to block the pivot? Might be older rules?
      :UD: <--ACS FOR--> :WDG: :DE:
    • umbranar wrote:

subspace wrote:

Not sure but I an remember shennenigans against the random movers to block the pivot? Might be older rules?
      Old rules, yes. In T9A, the random mover can simply pivot into the unit and count as charging ;)

Theoretically, it is still possible, but only with congas on both side of the random mover that reach until the board edge on both sides.
    • Fleshbeast wrote:

re railroading:

Yeah, that would also be a good approach, at least for a turn.
      Still, I just would have had to zone better to prevent some cheeky guys to simply go there. ;)

Glakthag wrote:

Needs more memes.
      Just text, no memes? Hell naw.

:P
    • umbranar wrote:

subspace wrote:

Fleshbeast wrote:

re railroading:

Yeah, was an 8th batrep a while back but it really stuck out to me as the VS player had spent ages painting up his guys to various themes (Batman themes for his Gutter Runners, etc) and obviously just enjoyed the fluff aspect, but Lord T went WAAC on him in a non-tournament game and laughed the whole time. :S
      "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."
    • #BLAG_019
      #KFC18 BatRep: Game 3 vs. Kalleka / O&G

VS.

Alright, two games down, 20/40 points so far...

While this meant I was probably not up for any podium placing, I could still end up around spot 4-6 if I managed to finally get a good result. As my final opponent, enter @KalleKa the green, one of the local Ork Warlords. I haven't played him before, and I play Orks very rarely, so I was feeling on somewhat unfirm terrain going into this game.

Deployment was Marching Column, we traded the obligatory three units and then I dropped for first.
      The pic shows the situation after my turn 1:

Mission: Hold the Ground, the coin marks the center of the table.

Display Spoiler

My list:
      Warriors of the Dark Gods
      830 - Exalted Herald
      630 - Chosen Lord, General, War Dais, Trophy Rack (Wasteland Torch), Shield, Halberd (King Slayer), Talisman of Shielding, Obsidian Rock, Sloth
      370 - Sorcerer, Wizard Master, Alchemy, Light Armour
      720 - 20 Warriors, Sloth, Standard Bearer (Banner of Speed), Musician, Champion
      180 - 15 Barbarians, Shield, Standard Bearer, Musician, Champion
      310 - Battleshrine
      255 - 3 Forsworn, Spiked Shield, Musician
      145 - 5 Flayers
      95 - 5 Warhounds
      95 - 5 Warhounds
      480 - Feldrak Elder, Halberd
      390 - Forsaken One

His list:
      Orcs and Goblins
      555 - Orc Shaman, Common Orc, Wizard Master, Shamanism, Destiny's Call, Skull Fetish, Obsidian Rock
      405 - Orc Warlord, General, Feral Orc, Paired Weapons (Shady Shanking), Light Armour (Essence of Mithril), Potion of Swiftness
      235 - Goblin Chief, Forest Goblin, Bow (Maza's Zappin), Battle Standard Bearer (Banner of Discipline, Aether Icon), Paired Weapons
      210 - Orc Chief, Iron Orc, Paired Weapons, Plate Armour, Pan of Protection Pinchin'
      195 - Goblin Witch Doctor, Common Goblin and Light Armour, Wizard Adept, Pyromancy
      195 - Goblin Witch Doctor, Common Goblin and Light Armour, Wizard Adept, Thaumaturgy
      715 - 40 Orcs, Feral Orc, Shield, Spear, Mammoth Stabber, Standard Bearer (Green Tide), Musician, Champion
      265 - 20 Goblins, Forest Goblin, Bow, Creepers, Throwing Weapons, Standard Bearer (Banner of the Relentless Company), Musician, Champion
      170 - 5 Orc Boar Riders, Feral Orc, Shield, Musician
      170 - 5 Orc Boar Riders, Feral Orc, Shield, Musician
      433 - 17 Iron Orcs, Standard Bearer (Banner of Speed), Musician, Champion
      135 - Gnasher Wrecking Team
      135 - Gnasher Wrecking Team
      125 - 5 Goblin Raiders, Forest Goblin, Shield, Throwing Weapons
      125 - 5 Goblin Raiders, Forest Goblin, Shield, Throwing Weapons
      160 - Greenhide Catapult, Splatterer, Orc Overseer
      90 - Skewerer
      90 - Skewerer
      90 - Skewerer

Pre-Game:
      • Orks can deploy armies that are similar to mine, strong infantry combat-focussed with some support elements. Games like these can escalate a bit when both players think they are better at fighting than the other guy

• In this case, however, I think the Orks have spent more points on shooting and magic and so were definitely only second best in combat compared to my army. Still, I couldn't afford to dismiss the Iron Orks and the big Feral block with Warlord.
      • The objective I think works into my hands, I would deploy my scorers centrally, move up to the objective and collect 1-2 tokens before pushing on into the face of the Ork army. The Forsworn and/or Barbs could trail behind and make sure I lock down the objective for me early.
      • I'm not really afraid of Pyro and Thauma, but the Shamanism spells could have a huge influence on the game, especially Break the Spirit - if he got that off on my Nukujabrick, he could basically prevent me from charging next turn. So I would have to let through a few damage spells.
      • Gnasher Wrecking Teams are a pest, and need to be taken care of immediately, in this case I had to take enough damage spells to do so. Additionally, I would have to move the Hounds such that they can both be sacrificed into a Wrecking Team in case magic fails. It's basically a mini-game for turn 1/2 before the actual game can begin.
      • The Ork war machines, while cheap, can inflict heavy casualties. I will need to take them into account, either by sending a fast unit to kill them or use spells.
      • For the Herald, I decided that he should definitely get hard target (so Abiding Spirit, which also gave me the very useful Smite the Unbeliever) and also get flying (Brand of the Dragon), which would give me another damage spell and a breath attack against the Wrecking teams. As a third spell, I decided on Wrath of God, because the Ork army would present a large target and has several war machines that wouldn't be moving around a lot.

Overview:
      EARLY GAME:

• I push forward as planned and secure the objective.
      • I sacrifice the left hounds to destroy the first wrecking team, the second team survives two full turns of magic, so I have to pop the Herald's breath attack to finish it off; thankfully, I had played it safe and positioned him in such a way that he could do that as a failsafe.
      • The barbarians are absolutely obliterated by shooting, almost losing me the Sorceress. It was a bit ridiculous, but it can happen. Anyway, I evacuate the Sorceress into the big brick and later behind the hill.
      • The Iron Orks are badly deployed and completely unsupported out on the flank, making it easy for my Feldrak to play a bit of cat and mouse with them before bypassing them for the war machines.
      MID-GAME:

• The Forsaken One gets a really high roll (16 or 17) and tramples forward. Being committed now, I push the rest forward also, still securing the objective.
      • The Herald works his way forward to get into the goblins with all the characters. He cannot be chaffed as he flies, but he takes a fair bit of damage from shooting, despite hard target and cover. He makes it into the goblins eventually, though. This means he can also heal himself back with Abiding Spirit.
      • Feldrak bypasses Iron Orcs - who are left to play with the last doggy - and takes out catapult.
      ENDGAME:

• As the Orks have easily killed off my Forsaken One, the Boars get an overrun into my Nukujabrick, costing me the charge against his deathstar. Consequently, I sacrifice the Flayers by flank-charging them into the Ork brick, where they hold for a turn (helped by Guiding Light). Then the Orks turn around (pic) and beat them to bits.
      • The Exalted completely fluffs on the charge against the Gobbos, but takes out the BSB in the next combat phase, easily breaking the goblins as a result (helped by a breath of corruption I had kept into this player turn).
      • So I get a final charge into the Orks, with the Nukujabrick in the front, Herald in the back and Feldrak in the flank (wasn't chaffed). I win combat by over 20 and run them down. Game over, 19:1 for me.

Learning:
      • I must confess I overestimated the big Ork block, overkilling them in the end. Still, that's not a bad thing to prevent dumb situations from happening.
      • I think the Herald was just the right tool to take out the Gobbos. He was too fast and couldn't get chaffed, and thanks to hard target and his aegis couldn't be simply shot off by the war machines.
      • I did try to cast Wrath of God in the first two turns, but never got it off. Wasn't useful from then on because my own units were too close to the Ork backline by then. I feel this spell is of very limited use for this armylist.
      • I feel I handled the Wrecking Teams well, especially moving up the Herald into breath range just in case magic fails (which it did).
      • While the Ork shooting was annoying, it wasn't decisive.
      • We balanced each other out with magical buffs in the combats. It's important to have enough buff spells in a game like this where you have to expect a few fights that will not go down easy (Iron Orks could also have been tough if they hadn't been so isolated).
      • I think a major factor for my big result was the Ork deployment, which I feel was too offensive and didn't take into account that I would have the first turn. So after turn 2 or 3, it was clear that he couldn't get some key units evacuated (gobbos) or engaged (Iron Orks).

In the end, I was lucky that two guys that were ahead of me before the game cancelled each other out, so I actually managed to jump ahead of both and get 3rd place of the tournament. :thumbup: