learn, teach & play Ninth Age - online - for free

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• learn, teach & play Ninth Age - online - for free

my starting point is: T9A is the best wargame i've ever played, no doubt about that.

and i think that a lot of people would enjoy it too, if only they knew about its existence.
    sure, it's an expensive hobby, but you can disintegrate costs if you turn it into a free videogame.
    in this way people can try it out, find out how amazing it is, and then invest time/money into becoming "physical" players.
    granted, the entry bar is also high because of the high complexity. but now we have ways to ease beginners into a simplified ruleset.
    and if there's a free videogame around, then maybe it will become easier to find someone online who wants to show you the ropes. so...

how do we do it?

from my point of view, the answer is simple:
    we make a T9A free expansion for TableTop Simulator.
    i can imagine some of you might have a few questions:

(1) what is TableTop Simulator, to begin with?
    it's a videogame on Steam that you can use to... well... simulate... tabletop games. there's tons of games in TTS, from poker to chess, from Catan to Gloomhaven, from 40K to Magic, from Star Wars to Dungeons and Dragons, from Kings of War to Blood Bowl.

(2) but why use TTS and not not an already existing game, like Universal Battle, or the upcoming Warhall, or Sunblade?
    the main reason is that thousands of players already use TTS every day. we would bring T9A to them, instead of bringing them to T9A. much easier!
    also, never forget that those other games mentioned above have their own business models. they will charge subscriptions, or let you pay for extra additional content, or ask for crowdfunding... the idea here is different. we make something free. you know, T9A-style.

(3) but wait - wouldnt people have to buy TTS to play T9A, anyway?
    nope. if you have a TTS license, you can invite someone who does not have a license.
    or if you dont have one, you can be invited by someone who has a license and wants you to show them T9A.
    also, a lifetime license can cost as little as 7€, so it's not like this is a money trap...

(4) and who's going to create this TTS adaptation?
    well, i wouldnt be raising the issue, if i werent ready to work on it... but of course i'd welcome some help. for the picture you see above, i've used miniatures from @Karak Norn Clansman (Admiralty) and @RedLine and @Watchful I Studio and @Dragon's Lake Miniaturas, and painted or sculpted by forum friends like @Little Joe, @joel127 or @Mad 'At. if i can count on the support of the community and of people and companies like that, everything is gonna be much much easier.

so yeah, that's what i was thinking.
    what do you think? could this work?

• Before i got access to warhall i was actually looking into TTS t9a but ive had difficulties taking the plunge due to needing multiple mods from different providers to setup a game, if there was an all in one mod id jump into it and would probably be able to introduce the game to more people in my country as well as like youve mentiond a good chunk of people already have TTS.

I have access to warhall currently and yes its a much more elegant experience because it was designed soleley for it but idk for how long ill have access as idk about their future mode of payment, currently with the pandemic im sure i wouldnt have the funds for a subscription, same reason why i dont usually play with ub as the quality of life features are hidden behind a paywall.

Ive played with you in tts a couple of times and i say id probably enjoy the full FB experience via tts as well as long as i have the same quality of life features EOW has.

This is a project id like to support at the very least in the promotion side as i dont know how to contribute from a dev standpoint

Community Engagement

Check out my youtube channel for battle reports youtube.com/channel/UCz_nwnrTM72OoSzha6XcGqA
  • Yes it will work!
    Then, I made tutorials for freely importing your own physical models and play with them virtually in TTS so my support isn't exactly a surprise :D

The EOW mod used for the TTS games that are streamed regularly provides a really nice and smooth experience. Without a doubt this model works for 4500pts games. There is already a strong base for a T9A community on TTS, putting up their models and some map mods with multiple excellent features.

And finally, I know several friends that 100% will be willing to learn T9A through TTS and have good chance to come back to the hobby!

Tsuandan Warring States
    Cathay for T9A!
    ----------
    :totems: BH Homebrew :totems:
    Beastly Beasts without PI!
  • I forgot to mention the value of online play, there is 0 T9A presence in the philippines and having TTS or other online platforms helps me to play, yes there's merit to face to face play but there's also merit to being able to play from 3000miles across the globe.

Community Engagement

Check out my youtube channel for battle reports youtube.com/channel/UCz_nwnrTM72OoSzha6XcGqA
  • Phear - thank you! helping with the promo side would be a huge boost already
    Idum - brilliant! do you think we could showcase a battle using the models you scanned?
    i dont mean including your models in the mod - just loading them to play your own match.
    you should have a very respectable collection by now. which models/faction do you have?

all - im wondering what is the most basic setup we need to play. can you let me know your preferences by quoting this message and deleting the wrong answers? please stick to the STARTING point, not the IDEAL solution. we are optimising for speed of release - then later on we'll add more meat to the bone : )

(1) battlefield
    a - 90x120, for Essence of War games
    b - 180x120, for Fantasy Battles (4500pts) games
    c - combined for both types

(2) maps
    a - one preloaded map
    b - all terrain pieces, for customised use
    c - setups for multiple preloadable maps

(3) deployment zones
    a - none
    b - 1-click setup for frontline clash
    c - setups for all possible deployments

(4) armies
    a - two premade rosters
    b - all units for one faction
    c - premade rosters for more than two factions
    d - multiple units for multiple factions

(5) models
    a - unit trays + model tokens
    b - 2D models
    c - 3D models

(6) features
    a - dice rollers
    b - turn counters
    c - unit cards
    d - scripted movement (wheels)
    e - instructions on how to use TTS
    f - instructions on how to play T9A
    g - extra fluff and art for the armies

for example, i would vote for:

piteglio wrote:

(1) battlefield

(2) maps
    a - one preloaded map

(3) deployment zones
    a - none

(4) armies
    a - two premade rosters

(5) models
    b - 2D models

(6) features
    g - extra fluff and art for the armies

• (1) battlefield

(2) maps
    c - setups for multiple preloadable maps
    d - multiple table mods for terrain/map setup to be imported via additive load function of TTS.

(3) deployment zones

(4) armies
    X - Could be a separate mod file for each army. Each modfile would contain
    models single faction and movement trays. Up to user to build army using
    mod to be imported via load object function of TTS on the main table.

I dont know how itll work with a scripted movement function though

(5) models
    c - 3D models

(6) features
    a - dice rollers
    b - turn counters
    e - instructions on how to use TTS

I think these would be the bare minimum requirements for a complete T9A TTS mod or Mod Set

Community Engagement

• piteglio wrote:

Idum - brilliant! do you think we could showcase a battle using the models you scanned?
    i dont mean including your models in the mod - just loading them to play your own match.
    you should have a very respectable collection by now. which models/faction do you have?
    Sure! I'd be keen to learn how you managed the movement trays, the solution implemented in the EOW mod is much sturdier than the simpler one I used (which is basically putting sticky points on a rectangle).

For sure, my models are mostly GW (for now!) so a no-no to include in the mod but I'd be keen to show them a bit! So far I can do most EOS & BH armies, and limited WDG setups.

As for the poll:

(1) battlefield

(2) maps
    a - one preloaded map

(3) deployment zones

(4) armies
    a - two premade rosters

(5) models
    a - unit trays + model tokens
    b - 2D models

(6) features
    c - unit cards

Tsuandan Warring States
    Cathay for T9A!
    ----------
    :totems: BH Homebrew :totems:
    Beastly Beasts without PI!
  • thanks Idum
    yes, the point is precisely to make all those scripted movement thingies available in the open mod!

and of course, as you say, i wont include anything that's copyright-protected. but that's only for my own mod. i suppose people can freely experiment with the model they can find. so you'll be able to use your own models for matches with your friends.

today i tried out just that. i found someone in the TTS group who has uploaded some great-looking minis, and i used those to test if my scripts still work. here's the result, if youtube is done uploading the video:

• thank you Delcurt!

i've kept working on the mod in the last weeks, and i think we will be ready to release it publicly when we release the new alpha rulebook for The Ninth Age: Essence of War. i decided to focus on giving everybody the possibility to get (or give) a very nice introductory game.

we said the new book would be available in summer. spring is almost over, so wait for the solstice, and then "at the dawn of the third day"...

• so in ten minutes a bunch of us will meet online to play with the new patrol. we will livestream the match (the affiche is in the spoiler). i mention this cos we'll pilot using 1" increments, to see whether that makes things easier for new players.
    if anyone watches the game and wants to leave some comments (either in the live chat during the game or here on the forum after the fact), i'd be very interested in knowing your opinion!

• apologies for crossquote, but i thought it might be relevant here:

piteglio wrote:

TabletopSimulator is on sale - lifetime license for less than 10€.
    also, if you wanna play a quick game or teach T9A to your friends,
    the new free mod for Essence of War is ready.

for now im sharing it with my supporters on Patreon (you can join them here),

but when they are done testing / commenting it, i'll make them available for everyone.

• Silly question, but what is Veil of Ages? Is it just the digital implementation of Essence of War/9th Age?

piteglio wrote:

apologies for crossquote, but i thought it might be relevant here:

piteglio wrote:

TabletopSimulator is on sale - lifetime license for less than 10€.
    also, if you wanna play a quick game or teach T9A to your friends,
    the new free mod for Essence of War is ready.

for now im sharing it with my supporters on Patreon (you can join them here),

but when they are done testing / commenting it, i'll make them available for everyone.

• bas_2312 wrote:

Silly question, but what is Veil of Ages? Is it just the digital implementation of Essence of War/9th Age?

not a silly question at all!

Veil of the Ages is the name of the developer of that mod for TabletopSimulator, which happens to be... me : )

it's also the name of a company i created to help spread T9A around. we will soon put on the market a mini starter set that teaches you the absolute basics of miniature wargaming. then we will publish the gold, full, colour T9A: Fantasy Battles Rulebook, when that's ready. so in the meantime im keeping busy with the digital implementation of EW, and i am working with TTS instead of other platforms because i want the game to be free.

Veil of the Ages is also the name of facebook / discord / youtube / twitch channels, where i organise live online matches with forum friends and with new people.