Why do we fight?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• @WhammeWhamme, that spreadsheet is a good idea, but in the current state it is impossible to read

Could you maybe make it appear in big square boxes with the text going back to line ? Thanks :)

Russian Translation Coordinator

Translation-Team FR

Public Relations

Linguistic Team

GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
    First T9A player in West Africa
  • Where, why is a bit the same thing, no ?

And yes, there should be second matrix with title « Why do we ally ? » for all 16 factions.

Not forgetting that X fight X can also be against the same faction. ie. Saurians fighting Saurians, etc. : why and how and what for and who ?

Translation-Team FR

Public Relations

Linguistic Team

• Obviously there's overlap, but to fight you have to be in physically the same place.

Vetian factions are adjacent. Border conflicts are simple to orchestrate. Non vetian factions are not, they need more of a push to fight.

I don't need background to give me border conflicts reasons, they're easy. But I do want to know why there's conflict between non adjacent nations, or non-nation based factions (e.g. ONG, beasts). No doubt all will come out in the wash.
    Join us on Ulthuan.net
  • Eldan wrote:

The beasts fight for glory and nice statues
    and food
    and access to hunting / foraging ground
    and metal
    and survival
    and to get people out of the way of their migration routes
    and to protect their hidden herds, holy sites and breeding grounds

Eldan wrote:

orcs seems to just like it
    yeah, they fight for the sake of it, it's easy
    but also
    for food
    for metal
    for survival
    Display Spoiler
    and for flesh to feed their hatchlings

ggoblins are a little bit more complex, as they have sort of an economy, so they have more reasons to fight, but they still also join battle only for the sake of proving that they're cleverest

Translation-Team FR

Public Relations

Linguistic Team

• It still depends on the geographic distribution of the belligerents, especially for overseas party's. Do rats sail? Do beast herds have a fleet? UD? How do armies get to caleda alba or silexia. What are sylvans doing in the blasted plains or desert. The original suggestion was that the project had carefully considered this sort of thing and hadn't fallen into the same trap as legacy, I'm just trying to get that clarity.
    Join us on Ulthuan.net
  • Yeah, Beast Herds are everywhere.

Orcs, I'm not sure, but I think also, yes.

As far as I understood, only dwarves and elves have pretty fixed « starting locations » after the Old Saurian's demise, meaning there is a possibility that they are not found everywhere on the planet (for example, elves started in Wyscan, so that all elves on the planet necessarily come from Wyscan ; dwarves also as far as I'm aware only have two starting locations, so that all dwarves on the planet are either Western or Eastern, although this is less clear I think).
    But ogres, humans, orcs, should be everywhere. Even though not all ogres are Ogre Khans culture (which is already actually two cultures).

Oh, Beast Herds actually have one starting location, they appeared after the Old Saurians's disappearance, but since they're a migratory species, they spread everywhere quite quickly. Well, they needed the whole Second Age to reach Vetia. When they did, the Third Age started.

And Vermin have one starting location, Avras. But since they have a very short lifespan and they are so good at copying things, those who got far away from the centre very quickly developed their own cultures, while also evolving biologically rather quick.

Translation-Team FR

Public Relations

Linguistic Team

• ferny wrote:

Do rats sail?
    Not very well defined so far.
    I understand that they do have a fleet, and the fluff I quoted above mentioned Vermin ships.
    On the other hand, they are mortally afraid of water.

ferny wrote:

Do beast herds have a fleet?
    They don't have a « fleet », but they are able to cross water.

Depends which part of UD you talk about, but i don't see anything preventing a Napteshi UD force to have ships, yeah.

ferny wrote:

How do armies get to caleda alba or silexia.
    Depends who you're talking about.
    Some just teleport there.
    Oh, no, there's a magical field protecting the damn island now.
    Maybe you attack any other HBE colony / outpost instead then ^^

To Silexia, you can sail, or walk on foot from Tsuandan (but then you're on the wrong side of it).

ferny wrote:

What are sylvans doing in the blasted plains or desert.
    Hunting ? :)

ferny wrote:

The original suggestion was that the project had carefully considered this sort of thing and hadn't fallen into the same trap as legacy, I'm just trying to get that clarity.
    Also, don't forget that this world involves a lot of non-faction factions, what a Civilization player would call « City-States ».

Volskaya, Koghi, Arcalea, Sagarika, Avras, Qassar… are all minor players that other factions would want to attack or ally with.
    So you can totally make up a campaign where the 16 factions gather in, say, Åskland, Sonnstahl goes there to protect their Thrymland allies, WotDG want to punish them, other factions have this or that reason to be there. Like, this frozen UD Barrow Kings dynasty, or whatever.

Also, not appearing on the current world map, the « neutral » territory between Sonnstal and Equitaine
    Or the independant elven cities, a bit everywhere in the world, who are not clearly aligned on either DE or HBE, but balance between the two as best as diplomacy allows.

Translation-Team FR

Public Relations

Linguistic Team

• Thanks, that's what I'm after! So there are human, goblinoid, vermin and beasts present in silexia, they're just not fleshed out?

Also, not appearing on the current world map, the « neutral » territory between Sonnstal and Equitaine
    Or the independant elven cities, a bit everywhere in the world, who are not clearly aligned on either DE or HBE, but balance between the two as best as diplomacy allows.
    these would be stunningly interesting, possibly the most scintillating snippet I've heard yet. Who do we need to bribe to get them, @Casp?
    Join us on Ulthuan.net
  • ferny wrote:

Thanks, that's what I'm after! So there are human, goblinoid, vermin and beasts present in silexia, they're just not fleshed out?
    Yup

And another exciting prospect is that they could all be subjects of the DE Outcast Warlocks, who create their own ramshackle kingdoms away from the Dathen frontier
    That's a super cool material for a possible supplement i reckon :)

On the independant elven cities, one is mentioned in the DE sourcebook (although not named i'm afraid), also you see one on the map in the ID book

Translation-Team FR

Public Relations

Linguistic Team

• Ghiznuk wrote:

@WhammeWhamme, that spreadsheet is a good idea, but in the current state it is impossible to read

Could you maybe make it appear in big square boxes with the text going back to line ? Thanks :)

I'm not sure I understand the request.

ferny wrote:

I should have probably titled it "where do we fight?" rather than why.

Where are the battlefields of the T9A world? There should be flashpoints for at least 16 X 16.

Pitelego - I like the story. It's not straight forward, but it's well told.

...I'm going to need another spreadsheet.

Edit: There's a second page, and it's fuller

Background Team

The post was edited 1 time, last by WhammeWhamme ().

• So as I look at it.

OnG, BH, and OK(maybe) are migratory/small group based. Ranging far and wide with smaller groups found in many places.

VC, DL, WDG (kinda) are emergent threats/blights that pop up in any location with strong individuals or magical forces driving an individual incursions.

uD, SE, DH, and ID are quite localized region-locked factions with some outposts far afield. ID have at least strong imperial ambitions (well some city states do).

EoS, KoE, HBE, and DE are strong local empires with expansionist/colonial tendencies.

I don't get VS (but will read when released) and I'm forgetting something. Can someone check me on this? And yes I understand it's much more complicated than I can summarize

The post was edited 1 time, last by oreogolem ().