Game against WoDG

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Game against WoDG

Good Morning my fellow Generals,

i am posting this today because i had a very frustrating game last week against a Buddy of mine. He plays WodG and i just couldnt see any land against his list. To be fair i also made a ton of mistakes at this game because i havent played for a while and are now getting back to regular playing.

The biggest Problem i had was that he had a lot of small units of Warriors, which quickly took control of a big part of a table. And his Chosen of Greed were just nearly unstoppable and munched through my units like a hot knife through butter. That´s why i ask YOU my fellow generals for your advice because i will play against him in October again.

He played something like this:

Display Spoiler

• Characters
        • Chosen LordArmy General, Dark Chariot, Entropic Aura, Favour of Nukuja, Goddess of Sloth, Great Weapon, Shield, Talisman of Shielding
        • Exalted Herald
        • Sorcerer Alchemy, Dark Chariot, Hand Weapon, Light Armour, Wizard Adept, Basalt Infusion
      • Core
        • Warriors Favour of Cibaresh, God of Lust, Favoured Champion, 10x Warrior
        • WarriorsFavour of Cibaresh, God of Lust, Favoured Champion, 10x Warrior
      • Special
        • Chosen10x Chosen, Favour of Sugulag, God of Greed, Favoured Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer
        • Chosen Knights4x Chosen Knight, Favour of Vanadra, Goddess of Wrath, Favoured Champion
        • Feldraks3x Feldrak, Paired Weapons

I played :

Display Spoiler

• Åsklanders (Åsklanders 2021)
        • Characters
          • SeidhkennarHand Weapon, Thaumaturgy, Unarmoured, Wizard Master, Binding Scroll, Talisman of the Void
          • Åsklander ChiefGreat Weapon, Longship Raid, Shield, Special Equipment, Berserker's Pelt and Shield
          • Åsklander ChiefHand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Wasteland Behemoth, Eyratöki, Obsidian Rock
          • Åsklander ChiefHand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield, War Dais, Death Cheater, Harp of Bragi, Shield Breaker
        • Core
          • Åsklanders Bow (4+), Champion, Musician, Shield, Standard Bearer, 16x Åsklander
          • ÅsklandersChampion, Musician, Spear and Shield, Standard Bearer, 24x Åsklander
          • ÅsklandersChampion, Musician, Raven Banner, Spear and Shield, Standard Bearer, 35x Åsklander
          • ÅsklandersBow (4+), Champion, Musician, Shield, Standard Bearer, 16x Åsklander
        • Special
          • Berserkers 20x Berserker, Champion, Great Weapon
          • Åsklander Flayers Throwing Weapons (5+), 5x Åsklander Flayer
          • Åsklander Flayers Throwing Weapons (5+), 5x Åsklander Flayer

• Legendary Beasts
          • Kraken
          • Marauding GiantSelections: Tribal Warspear
          • Marauding GiantSelections: Tribal Warspear

So has anyone have any idea how to deal with those pesky Chosen? The Chosen Knights i flanked with my Chief on Behemoth and just clipped the edge so he outright murderd them. Just the Chosen were a real nuisance. Thanks in Advance.

Best Regards
      Beli
    • I've seen similar msu builds in talks over wdg threads so changes are that you've faced some form of latest power build.
      My go to answer would usually be that get some huskarls with spears and throwing weapons but I really can't say for certain how good such unit would be against msu warriors.

Ambushing berserkers might be a bit useless against an army that wants to cross the board as fast as possible. Ambushing Huskarls with throwing weapons could be more flexible as you can shoot when you arrive from ambush and even warriors are going to fail some of their saves because huskarls have ap1.

@Tyranno might be able to give more nuanced advice than me.
    • Thanks for the tag haha!

I would agree that Huskarls with spears are a good choice too. WoDG can't shoot them off, and their magic is not built to handle them either. A block of them with Raven Banner and either BSB or general should see off any of those units your opponent is throwing your way.

Throwing weapon Huskarls are very expensive. So they might not be worth the investment. Especially as I would recommend you play a bit more defensive. Asklanders do not have the same offensive power as WoDG, so you can't play his game and hope to beat him at it. He wants you to charge him and then he flees to expose a unit and pick it off. Form a tight formation, and use your mage to drop Wrath of God on him every turn. On top of that, I recommend a 2nd spellcaster (I recommend Shamanism to de-buff him and buff yourself), probably instead of the Behemoth, as again that is playing into his hands.

Foot archers are pretty much pointless vs WoDG (especially as he took no hounds). So they can probably be cut. Flayers are in the same boat; no AP no work. They might be better with light lances, then you can use them to harass his flanks with an ambush.

Hounds are a good choice here. As you can use them to chaff and delay parts of his army. So he either has to attack piecemeal, or halt his advance and risk Wrath of God.

The Kraken is still a decent choice here. It's small enough to be able to avoid his units, and can be re-deployed fairly easily. Feldraks wont like fighting it, so try to pressure them and potentially keep them out of the game.

Berserkers are a good choice to put on the flanks and threaten with. Ambushing them vs this army will just leave them out of the game too long. With Great Weapons they should be able to hack his armoured units apart, so them protecting your flanks will diminish his options when trying to approuch.

If you don't like the idea of Berserkers getting punched and dying (which they have a habit of doing), Trolls are a great unit here. They can ignore armour at the drop of a hat, and WoDG struggle with their fortitude save, so they can be a fantastic anchor when near your general.

Hope this helps. It's not as in-depth as I hoped, as I am just typing this up on my phone.

Lord of the Hobby

The Great Horde of Chaos <-My hobby blog Tyranno's Ride into the Steppes <-My Makhar hobby/army-list blog
    • Thanks a lot guys. That helps a lot. i also thought about Huskarls or Trolls. The only issue being i dont yet have the models to play XD

But i will correct that as soon as possible. ^^ i really like the archers though and in fact they killed his Exalted Herald in an epic display of bad luck with the saving throws. Concentrated fire on one target did cause some damage at least. And because normally i am the one without any shooting playing mostly Beastmen or WodG (but those not really since the new gods came), i just love to shoot something in the face XD

Tyranno wrote:

Thanks for the tag haha!

I would agree that Huskarls with spears are a good choice too. WoDG can't shoot them off, and their magic is not built to handle them either. A block of them with Raven Banner and either BSB or general should see off any of those units your opponent is throwing your way.

Throwing weapon Huskarls are very expensive. So they might not be worth the investment. Especially as I would recommend you play a bit more defensive. Asklanders do not have the same offensive power as WoDG, so you can't play his game and hope to beat him at it. He wants you to charge him and then he flees to expose a unit and pick it off. Form a tight formation, and use your mage to drop Wrath of God on him every turn. On top of that, I recommend a 2nd spellcaster (I recommend Shamanism to de-buff him and buff yourself), probably instead of the Behemoth, as again that is playing into his hands.

Foot archers are pretty much pointless vs WoDG (especially as he took no hounds). So they can probably be cut. Flayers are in the same boat; no AP no work. They might be better with light lances, then you can use them to harass his flanks with an ambush.

Hounds are a good choice here. As you can use them to chaff and delay parts of his army. So he either has to attack piecemeal, or halt his advance and risk Wrath of God.

The Kraken is still a decent choice here. It's small enough to be able to avoid his units, and can be re-deployed fairly easily. Feldraks wont like fighting it, so try to pressure them and potentially keep them out of the game.

Berserkers are a good choice to put on the flanks and threaten with. Ambushing them vs this army will just leave them out of the game too long. With Great Weapons they should be able to hack his armoured units apart, so them protecting your flanks will diminish his options when trying to approuch.

If you don't like the idea of Berserkers getting punched and dying (which they have a habit of doing), Trolls are a great unit here. They can ignore armour at the drop of a hat, and WoDG struggle with their fortitude save, so they can be a fantastic anchor when near your general.

Hope this helps. It's not as in-depth as I hoped, as I am just typing this up on my phone.
      @Tyranno yes that really helps. I used the flayer with throwing weapons for chaff and they are really nice for that, i think because of their speed and again shooting :D but i agree i will pack some hounds.

okay What are your thoughts on Wargs ? Are they any good? i thought beside the Kraken they could screen the Archers from the fast Feldrakes for example.
    • Wargs are awesome against right targets. They have really low discipline though which cause troubles fast if you wander them out of leadership bubble.

Best results I've had with them have been when I've taken some risks with them though. Punched trough a weak spot in my opponents lines and then proceeded to run amok.

Maybe a bit more cautious use gives better results though. :)
    • If your unit is 3 or bigger. Medium to light cavalry, 10-20 sized infantry units, flanks and rears of more threatening units if you have another unit fighting the front.

Wargs have agility 5 when charging so you strike before those lust warriors, if you can catch them of course. :)

They have 4 S5 attacks each so they can do a lot of damage but you should prefer targets that don't have enough attacks coming back after you have attacked.

Wdg don't have shooters so stand and shoot isn't a problem for you. If you are forced to take a panic check from magic and you are out of general's discipline range your wargs will probably leg it.

They have march rate of 18 and vanguard so you should be able to manouver them to advantageous position right from the start. This probably means that you are out of general's discipline range though.

Wargs are powerful unit but have serious downside with their low discipline, which makes succeeding with them rewarding. Either by well thought out tactical moves or trough sheer luck, which have been my source of success with them of course. :)
    • Beligua wrote:

@Tyranno yes that really helps. I used the flayer with throwing weapons for chaff and they are really nice for that, i think because of their speed and again shooting :D but i agree i will pack some hounds.

okay What are your thoughts on Wargs ? Are they any good? i thought beside the Kraken they could screen the Archers from the fast Feldrakes for example.
      I will add that I don't think Flayers are all bad, just not good in this matchup.

Wargs I personally have not used. But that's because I generally play in a way that does not suit them. Generally my lists are multiple large infantry blocks with monster support and one cavalry unit to help with scoring. Wargs prefer a more mobile list, but that I think you will struggle with in this match, as the WoDG opponent is trying to pick pieces off you. Personally I wouldn't use Wargs as they are a little too easy for him to exploit.

Lord of the Hobby

The Great Horde of Chaos <-My hobby blog Tyranno's Ride into the Steppes <-My Makhar hobby/army-list blog
    • I play 42-50 Asklanders with GW and Rabenbanner, 2 times dogs and another unit Asklander with spears. You can also play them with bows.
      As already written, I would bet on huskals with spears as a second combat block.
      in my opinion heroes are strongest in units, so I would put them in the unit not on monsters.I think Jötunn and Kraken are good units agans WoDG
      I like this guy: 270 - Åsklander Chief, War Dais, Shield, Heavy Armour, Hand Weapon (Eyratöki), Talisman of Shielding
    • Beligua wrote:

ok what do you think about the 50 Asklanders with GW?
      That will certainly do damage. Against just 10 Warriors with nothing more than a sword they will probably see them off, but will probably take quite a few casualties in the process.

Chosen Knights or Feldraks probably do not want to engage that, as they will just get stuck and per HP they are more valuable.

Lord of the Hobby

• Beligua wrote:

Ah and one more question: what Models do you guys use for your huskarls?

Best Regards
      Beli
      Initially I used the Victrix Huskarls with minimal conversions. But lately I think I need to distinguish them more from my other infantry, so I will be looking at remaking them with kite shields and Norman-style face-plates (from Victrix's upcoming Norman cavalry box) to make them look more unique.

Lord of the Hobby

• Victrix vikings come with 50x50 armoured and lightly armoured models. I used armoured to build huskarls and put others in bits box to wait until I can buy more.

Huskarls set from Victrix is good as huskarls straight from the sprue. I used some heads from viking set to give them a bit varied look. One thing to note is that both of those sets comes with command sprues which provide you with bits to build your characters too.

Here's an example of huskarls with great weapons. Model in the middle is Jarl on war dais. All build from vikings and huskarls sets.