T9A: Kingdom of Sonnstahl

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• T9A: Kingdom of Sonnstahl

Yep, Dan's a homebrew guy now I guess. So what madness is it this time?

Conceptually, it's EoS pre-gunpowder, tanks, and heavy cavalry. Thematically, it's Anglo-Saxons with a bit of Albion mythology thrown in. Functionally and mechanically, it's some kind of mad hybrid between EoS, DH, Asklanders, and KoE, I guess.

Really all I did was take this core concept of the existing Parent/Support unit mechanic blended with Shield Wall, stripped out all of the tech and heavy cav, and honestly the book kind of wrote itself from there. Really it was a lot of fun to put together, and I hope you enjoy some of it as well:

T9A: Kingdom of Sonnstahl

As always, feedback is highly encouraged.

The post was edited 1 time, last by dan ().

• First of all, "Kingdom of Sonnstahl"? Youre clearly ripping off DanT's Empire of Dannestahl. Get your own IP you two bit hack.

Is the support charge from Parent Unit rule really necessary? It seems to me to be basically regular combo charge except the enemy cant flee the second one? I think just saying when a parent unit and support combo charge you can gain up to +6 from their ranks (obviously worded more nicer like).

Strength of Men as the hereditary? You better watch out with this sexist garbage or Im gonna get you cancelled. Its a very powerful rule to my eyes to give a unit stubborn, but I think its interesting. Might bear watching, but I like it as an idea and I think it could create very fun trick plays.

Nice to see you include Exemplar's Flame, now it can get no use in TWO books. Really fast track that redesign. Playing 4D chess out here.

Thegn has one too many consonants. Though it makes sense that Wyverns count towards Myths. I for one have looked at a lot of O&G lists and Im not sure Wyverns exist.

Druid can't use Druidism. Honestly I think by now you're just being contrary for the sake of it.

Woad Warden is cool. I hate to give credit, even where it is due, but I will concede here.

Another book with Witchcraft access. The DH forums will be sending you a cease and desist letter.

'Fyrd' Infantry? Really? Do I need to get you more vowels for your Scrabble set?

5 Warhounds counting towards core? I thought we did away with this nonsense years ago. Make them a real unit. Light troops, MW2 against large and gigantic, s4 base. These are bloody wolves mate, not poodles with skin conditions.

Good to see you've remembered vowels exist once we reach Special.

You can't put Mercenary Asklanders in every book you make. And you're trying to give them Ambush again. Its like you've learnt nothing from the abject failure of your Free Companies book (note: the first mistake was thinking you could do this without me).

How are your Highland Chariots striding through ruins? Ill let you keep it if you can convince me in 25 words or less what the fluff justification is.

Woad Warriors are also cool. Maybe you should have focussed on this a bit more? Yknow, taken the woad less travelled?

What precisely is a Menhir, and how does vanguarding assist in guarding it? Seems like 1/3 of these guys are more like Menhir escapees than guardians.

Ah good, rounding out the book with a Briar Beast. Again so we can have it get no use in two books. You're really helping me out as BH ACS in the data collection. Surely this would be better as a Woad Beast with some of the fanatical type rules to make him fit the fluff better?

Overall, this screams "I wanna use all my models together" and not "I made a genuine attempt at a thematic army book". I mean, aside from the Woad entries (who lets be honest are just flagellants), I see nothing particularly original or reasons to use this book over others. Free Companies has a real charm in the exotic collection of units united by their love of the glorious US Dollar, this one has less of a unified theme. I think you should spend more time making units unique rather than copying and pasting entries from other books and hoping they fit together. I think theres some interesting ground to be explored in regard to how different a, for lack of a better term, primitive EoS society would look, but I think outside of the Fyrds this is not really addressed. The Fyrds are like humans raised in a dwarven tradition with their own unit organisation, but the rest doesnt have this vibe. Like I kind of get the vibe that this book wants to be an homage to the 2004 Clive Owen film King Arthur, with a mix of celtic, saxon and roman ideas, but mostly its a hamfisted mashing together rather than a unified vision (also fun fact, Clive Owen was like 40 filming nude scenes with an 18 year old Keira Knightley. It is... uncomfortable to consider upon a rewatch of the film).

I wouldn't give you an ADT position on the back of this book, Daniel. I expect an extensive revision to be on my desk within a week.
      Check out my T9A channel on YouTube HERE
    • Well, I suppose it's time to unpack Youngseward's mad ravings.

First of all, "Kingdom of Sonnstahl"? Youre clearly ripping off DanT's Empire of Dannestahl. Get your own IP you two bit hack.
      Oh good, you can read. I was worried I'd need to call you and read it aloud like I did with the Free Companies book.

Is the support charge from Parent Unit rule really necessary? It seems to me to be basically regular combo charge except the enemy cant flee the second one? I think just saying when a parent unit and support combo charge you can gain up to +6 from their ranks (obviously worded more nicer like).
      It's the verbatim rule from the EoS book, and you might know that if your blind hatred of human factions didn't prevent you from cracking open one of their books from time to time.

Strength of Men as the hereditary? You better watch out with this sexist garbage or Im gonna get you cancelled. Its a very powerful rule to my eyes to give a unit stubborn, but I think its interesting. Might bear watching, but I like it as an idea and I think it could create very fun trick plays.
      What a surprise, more human-hating. I suppose you'd rather it be "Strength of Gender-Neutral Mammaliams"? I'll rename it Strength of Man, as in "mankind" not "males", both to simultaneously address your concern and leave you upset.

Nice to see you include Exemplar's Flame, now it can get no use in TWO books. Really fast track that redesign. Playing 4D chess out here.
      I had doubts about that too, but now it's definitely staying. I might even create a new item called "Youngseward's Flame" for the exact same points and with the exact same effect.

Thegn has one too many consonants. Though it makes sense that Wyverns count towards Myths. I for one have looked at a lot of O&G lists and Im not sure Wyverns exist.
      Ok, this one made me laugh out loud, fair play.

Druid can't use Druidism. Honestly I think by now you're just being contrary for the sake of it.
      No, it's that 4D chess.

Woad Warden is cool. I hate to give credit, even where it is due, but I will concede here.
      It's all cool, this is just objectively the most cool.

Another book with Witchcraft access. The DH forums will be sending you a cease and desist letter.
      Yeah Witchcraft was supposed to be Druidism. Also you looked at the Sorcerer entry, looked at another entry, and then came back to the Sorcerer entry? Do you stumble through everything with the same level of efficiency?

'Fyrd' Infantry? Really? Do I need to get you more vowels for your Scrabble set?
      I assume your dislike of thematic old-English words is because Aussies already struggle with pronouncing more common English words?

5 Warhounds counting towards core? I thought we did away with this nonsense years ago. Make them a real unit. Light troops, MW2 against large and gigantic, s4 base. These are bloody wolves mate, not poodles with skin conditions.
      I'd fight you on the fact that Asklanders have this exact same unit in core (again, no surprise you didn't know that), but I'll concede that I like your idea better.

Good to see you've remembered vowels exist once we reach Special.
      Keep it up and everything in the book is becoming Welsh.

You can't put Mercenary Asklanders in every book you make. And you're trying to give them Ambush again. Its like you've learnt nothing from the abject failure of your Free Companies book (note: the first mistake was thinking you could do this without me).
      Note: you might get consulted more if you actually brought solutions other than "remove that human unit" to the table.

How are your Highland Chariots striding through ruins? Ill let you keep it if you can convince me in 25 words or less what the fluff justification is.
      Oh good, you can count now too. Here goes:
      "Celts had chariots in the British Isles, and got skilled at navigating that rocky terrain with chariots. The ruins here represent rocks."
      That's 22 words, so I'll let you guess what I'd like to use the other 3 words for.

Woad Warriors are also cool. Maybe you should have focussed on this a bit more? Yknow, taken the woad less travelled?
      I was genuinely impressed with your feedback up until this.

What precisely is a Menhir, and how does vanguarding assist in guarding it? Seems like 1/3 of these guys are more like Menhir escapees than guardians.
      Excellent points, but do they not have Google in Australia?

Ah good, rounding out the book with a Briar Beast. Again so we can have it get no use in two books. You're really helping me out as BH ACS in the data collection. Surely this would be better as a Woad Beast with some of the fanatical type rules to make him fit the fluff better?
      I assume you like the term "Woad" so much because it has an equal number of vowels and consonants? Briar Beast seemed suitably vague enough to represent some kind of woodland creature - perhaps some kind of "Fen Beast" kind of monster that people may already have in their collections?

And I'll think about rules, but only begrudgingly.

Overall, this screams "I wanna use all my models together" and not "I made a genuine attempt at a thematic army book". I mean, aside from the Woad entries (who lets be honest are just flagellants), I see nothing particularly original or reasons to use this book over others. Free Companies has a real charm in the exotic collection of units united by their love of the glorious US Dollar, this one has less of a unified theme. I think you should spend more time making units unique rather than copying and pasting entries from other books and hoping they fit together. I think theres some interesting ground to be explored in regard to how different a, for lack of a better term, primitive EoS society would look, but I think outside of the Fyrds this is not really addressed. The Fyrds are like humans raised in a dwarven tradition with their own unit organisation, but the rest doesnt have this vibe.
      You could have saved us all a lot of time if you'd just posted this.

Like I kind of get the vibe that this book wants to be an homage to the 2004 Clive Owen film King Arthur, with a mix of celtic, saxon and roman ideas, but mostly its a hamfisted mashing together rather than a unified vision (also fun fact, Clive Owen was like 40 filming nude scenes with an 18 year old Keira Knightley. It is... uncomfortable to consider upon a rewatch of the film).
      The most uncomfortable thing about it is the fact that you're admitting you saw it, and now actively referencing it.

I wouldn't give you an ADT position on the back of this book, Daniel. I expect an extensive revision to be on my desk within a week.
      I'm equal parts offended by this and disgusted with myself in knowing that I'll have it done.
    • Im not sure about Housecarl throwing weapons costing 5ppm. This seems to be more in relation to the ones in Asklanders ambushing and getting a big volley of s4. Yknow, kind of like how the celts in King Arthur (2004) were extremely effective firing their bowshots at the invading Saxons from the cover of forest, but would have been much less formidable had they been forced to fight a pitched battle.
    • Okay update is live with a shocking amount of blue. Notable updates:

• Added general's Rallying Cry rule and revamped Blessings.
      • Added two new Armoury items.
      • Passive Aggressively kept Exemplar's Flame and changed something else in Special Items.
      • Added more old English/Gaelic names to further anger Youngseward.
      • Lots of changes re: those armoury updates, and some new special rules to increase immersion and cohesion.
      • Much, much more!
    • dan wrote:

Funny, I’d been thinking Anglo Saxon this whole time instead of Romano British but you’re absolutely correct, and it’s kind of a mix of both!

So if you’re thinking 500 AD and I’m thinking 900 AD, we’ll call the book fantasy England circa 700 AD. ;)
      Right, so set a couple of hundred years after Artorius’ successful repelling of the Saxon invasion in the cult classic film, King Arthur.