Google Trend of 9th Age:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

  • i have trouble following your logic in general. Also GW's curve is stabilized in the past 6 years, meaning AOS has done OK. While in the SAME period we have a decline which is constant.

    Also while i presented a 5 year curve you resented a 16 year graph .
    Also you used a company while i used a game.
    Plus i think sometime you said "you cant compare GW with us without marketing etc etc".

    Man i am sorry there is no "constructive" way to put it but this is absolute zealotry. You are just dying to prove me wrong, while the numbers and figures are undisputed and crystal clear.


    Honestly you guys rather prove me wrong than actually recognize that we have a problem which could result to saving our valuable hobby.
    let us all help moderators get girlfriends!

    The post was edited 1 time, last by Flames ().

  • if i un derstand right Google Trend shows a trend of how many times a side is searched for with google.
    It don´t shows people which using a link to get to the9age , nor people which use other search maschines then google.
    Take me i don´t ghoogled the9age since years cause i alwys have it in a browser tab stored.

    This trend don´t show this all.

    Our wa group about the9age has 60 members and growing most of them don´t even searched for the9age cause they always get links to download books etc and they don´t use the webside.

    All this means the google trend only shows less people use google to search for the9age. It doesn´t mean less people playing it or reading the forum.

    Lord of Chaos , Duke of Equitaine , Cuatl of the Golden City , Herold of the Empire , Summoner of Pestilence , Lord of the Sea WotdG ,KoE ,SA ,EoS , DL and HE Ordo Sanctae Mariae Teutonicorum Battle reports and more : Tales of Lords and Ladys
  • well as a guy who has been in IT sector for 25 yrs, running 2 companies, we usually take Google trends very seriously. As the overwhelming majority of the private sector in the globe:)

    Sure, it doesnt "display" anything. Lets sum up the meaningless findings i;ve been erratically putting down.

    - Forum logins. Dramatic fall. Sure it doesnt say anything. Well with 2-3 bans / month i wonder why there are indeed people left here :)
    - Google trend. A steady decline. Also doesnt say anything. Just go on and check KOW or Warhammer Armies Project. I wonder why they are of different trend. KOW i think is increasing? Why ? Because.... they dont have forum ? Lol... No because people like me are feeling insecure for this project and considering alternatives. Sadly.
    - Dramatic player reduction on line. Also, doesn't say anything.
    - Tournaments. I am sure its covid, whatever. But 40K? With 3 tournaments per week ? Oh wait its GW. But GW has "not been doing well" as marcema says. Man i am confused :)
    - People saying their community is gone. Sure unimportant also, as long as Poland and Scandinavia are ok.

    I wonder what would it take to alarm you? Do you honestly think i do this for some personal agenda or i try to raise awareness and alarm people?

    PS. This is Polish trend. Everyone know Poland is the home of this game, probably the only country with steady interest in the sport.. Gee why trend also depicts a trend that at least isnt of decline? Dont they use the forum ? I am just using your logic.


    let us all help moderators get girlfriends!

    The post was edited 3 times, last by Flames ().

  • Marcema wrote:

    Well GW hasn't been doing well themselves either in that case.
    I don’t have any particular stake in this conversation, but I just wanna point out that comparing a 18-year graph to a 6-year graph makes no sense.

    If GW’s trend since 2016 happened to look the same as their trend since 2004 (and T9A’s tend since 2016), then your point would be made. (And maybe that is the case, I have no idea!) but the graph you provided is entirely out of context.


    EDIT: doubling down on the disclaimer, I’m happy with the T9A and got no great point to make in this thread, misuse of graphs is just a pet peeve of mine. :P
  • i don´t said it say nothing , i said it´s only one part of infos.

    German tournies are filled within hours sometimes , i know many players are still afraid of covid but it seams the tournament szene is coming back slowly , nearly every month we are getting in more and more tournaments.

    I don´t say you are wrong but atleast in germany the tourney szene is comming back and more and more tournaments are starting.

    Lord of Chaos , Duke of Equitaine , Cuatl of the Golden City , Herold of the Empire , Summoner of Pestilence , Lord of the Sea WotdG ,KoE ,SA ,EoS , DL and HE Ordo Sanctae Mariae Teutonicorum Battle reports and more : Tales of Lords and Ladys
  • Also, note i have been collaborating with Google and US-NSA in the past for criminal patterns, Google algorithms are beyond scale nor common mind "reason". Indeed TOP iq''s have been cnstantly working on them its pretty safe to assume they know what they are doing. They hold so much knowledge, a junior IT guy couldn't just imagine, let alone a none IT guy. When Google "says" topic, and its a trend, in a long time period i'd bet my money anytime its spot on.
    let us all help moderators get girlfriends!
  • Archeron wrote:

    i don´t said it say nothing , i said it´s only one part of infos.

    German tournies are filled within hours sometimes , i know many players are still afraid of covid but it seams the tournament szene is coming back slowly , nearly every month we are getting in more and more tournaments.

    I don´t say you are wrong but atleast in germany the tourney szene is comming back and more and more tournaments are starting.
    thats very encouraging. I think "the north" is doing ok. Sadly everyone else is suffering :(
    let us all help moderators get girlfriends!
  • I think the best approach to declining numbers of a game one like is to stop care about the numbers. The amount of players in the world has no impact at all for an individual to play a game.

    There is no reason at all to actually try to prove this or that with statistics about something largely irrelevant. If I want to play t9a in a tournament I can just organise it. The amount of players in UK or Austria have nothing to do with it.
  • Davian wrote:

    I think the best approach to declining numbers of a game one like is to stop care about the numbers. The amount of players in the world has no impact at all for an individual to play a game.

    There is no reason at all to actually try to prove this or that with statistics about something largely irrelevant. If I want to play t9a in a tournament I can just organise it. The amount of players in UK or Austria have nothing to do with it.
    I dont follow. So if you organize a tournament and ...2 people show up you'd be ok ?
    let us all help moderators get girlfriends!
  • Yeah, then it would be a much easier competition to organize. It would be easier to find accomodation, food etc for 2-8 people than say, 20-40. :)

    And the amount of games a single person can manage during a weekend is rarely more than 5-6. And that can be achieved with 10 participants. :)

    In addition, If I would organize a tournament I would probably aim for no more than 20 people at the same time, to make the whole organizing part much easier. And as I wrote before, the amount of players in the USA or Germany doesn't affect the players in Sweden. Especially not my circles, so the end result for me is I feel it kind of uneccessary to argue if T9A is growing or declining. Even dead games have players. I believe we as human beings often waste to much energy trying to create something huge or magnificient etc. The lust for the biggest event ever so to speak. But more often than not we can't match the practical reality with our visions, and that can turn into burnouts. ( I don't know the proper english term for it.)

    What I am saying is that the number of participants in events are largely disconnected to if a game is succesful or not. There is no real reason to organise events with 100+ people when most players won't play against each other. It would be easier for everyone if we aim for like 10-20 etc. Or at least doesn't view smaller events as a symbol of decline. (for me, smaller events are more a sign of the opposite being true most of the time)
  • yeah, and that is another reason why I think people who wants to play tournaments should look to organise small to medium events instead. Much easier and with the same end result for the participants. (you only need 6 players to play 5 full games a weekend.)

    we regularly have one-day tournaments where I live with up to 10 people, 3 games only. It takes about 30 minutes to organise and another 30 minutes to place terrain etc. :)
  • Davian wrote:

    Yeah, then it would be a much easier competition to organize. It would be easier to find accomodation, food etc for 2-8 people than say, 20-40. :)

    And the amount of games a single person can manage during a weekend is rarely more than 5-6. And that can be achieved with 10 participants. :)

    In addition, If I would organize a tournament I would probably aim for no more than 20 people at the same time, to make the whole organizing part much easier. And as I wrote before, the amount of players in the USA or Germany doesn't affect the players in Sweden.
    well i have booked a 20 people event in Serbia. Say, why dont you join us and enroll this discussion ? its 4-5 June. and oh its uprising, the THIRD one i attend and the one with less people so far.. Though my friends there do tell me that the game is on a renaissance status :)
    let us all help moderators get girlfriends!
  • Davian wrote:

    Alas I am in Sweden and it is too expensive to travel to serbia. In addition I am at a festival as well, for true heavy metal :) it is hard to travel outside scandinavia and denmark for gaming. it becomes too expensive :/
    take a car, put 120L of cheep beer in it on the way back, sell it in sweden and - after all expenses - you will have some money to buy new models
    :OK: :O&G: :HE:
  • Being somewhat blunt: the ninth age organisation is not going to magically start promoting or building anyone's local gaming scene, or building new scenes.
    T9a does not have the resources to do that. Nor is it really part of the mission statement.

    If one wants a vibrant local scene, one needs to do the work oneself, promoting it, introducing people, running events, demoing it, visiting clubs/stores etc.
    The project doesn't have the time or resources to advertise or build local scenes, you folks in the community need to organise amongst yourselves and take that on.

    T9a gives you all (and your opponents) the game for free, but promoting the game and building local scenes is on you folks.


    The good news: building local scenes has been done successfully, so if anyone wants help with this, please start a topic on it and ask for help and explain what difficulties you are facing... hopefully others will chip in with how they've overcome those things in their local groups.
    List repository and links HERE
    Basic beginners tactics HERE
    Empire of Dannstahl HERE
    Adjustments to 2.0 HERE