How Steamy should Sonnstahl be ? [poll]

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How Steamy should Sonnstahl be ? [poll]

How technologically developed do you think Sonnstahl should be ? 117

The result is only visible to the participants.

Hello Empire fans !

I’m not gonna write « Not writing in staff capacity » because i am indeed writing this as a BG team member and the results of this poll might have an influence on the further development of our fluff, but on the other hand, I will write as a disclaimer that I am writing this post as a purely personal initiative, just because i’m personally interested to see how you guys are feeling about the topic, ie. this is not something the BGT asked me to do.

Russian Translation Coordinator

Translation-Team FR

Public Relations

Linguistic Team

GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
    First T9A player in West Africa

The post was edited 4 times, last by Ghiznuk ().

• If the Empire had steamboats, how far do you think those steamboats should be able to go ? 66

The result is only visible to the participants.

As a side issue :

Translation-Team FR

Public Relations

Linguistic Team

• Ghiznuk wrote:

If the Empire had steamboats, how far do you think those steamboats should be able to go?
    From where? sorry I haven't read any of the EoS background.

I bet even if “Steam power is rare and experimental” ever army will still have a stank :P

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gingersmali ().

• The main draw for me is the idea of the Empire being Man Vs Monsters, mere mortals playing the games of the gods by any means possible, magic, technology, superior martial discipline, proven tactics, state mandated zealotry and devotion to Sunna.

So, no to steam tech being wonky and "fun", yes to it being practical but limited.
    The beating heart of the empire is industrialism, not a carnival.
  • I voted for number 2. But I feel it should be between number 1 and 2.

So fluff wise think of it more like the knowledge is there and accessible but the infrastructure just isn't there to make alot of them for every regiment.
    And the reason that the infrastructure isn't built up within 50years like real life Europe/USA - is because of flying monsters, daemons, greenskins, beastherds ransacking the land.
    So there is like 1 city that can make steam tanks, they get supply issues, etc... Like if you're dragon dies, you can't just go down to the local zoo and get a brand new one, so If your steam tank breaks down maybe you can do a quick fix in a week, maybe it takes 3-6 months to get the right part.

(my numbers might be off a little bit, just from memory).
    I remember reading about WW1 tanks. The allies built like 3 tanks, used it in a battle. The generals were impressed and order 1000 more! ....8-9 months later they received the first batch of like 200. Half the tanks broke down in the first battle for various reasons. lol. But they won the battle and pushed the trenches back so it was very effective in achieving it's goals.
    The Germans built some tanks and ordered more, but their production time was the same andthey had a few more supply problems than the allies so opted to just build more anti-tank artillery weapons. There was a battle against the allied tanks where the allies were driving over a hill right into the german anti-tank artillery. They didn't have radios in the tanks so the tanks just kept driving over the hill into the kill zone.

And this is from nations that were industrialized.

----------------------

So for the LAB, I think there should be an engineering guild supplement where they can field multiple steam tanks and a big steam tank - it represents the cities(s) or region(s) that have steam punk stuff closer to home. Whereas the main LAB focus's on what most armies throughout the empire would consist.

I also think a similar approach should be done with the Knightly Orders. You still have knights in core but elite knights are in special. f you want full elite knights then you play the supplement or KoE.
    A supplement Knightly orders would probably restrict some of the more powerful non-knight stuff in the EoS book while adding some knightly order stuff. Think Teutonic and Livonian order type armies - they got handguns, cannon/mortar, pistoliers, but probably no engineer or stank.

Then the 3rd supplement is full religious/witch hunter-esk. Some more options for flagellants(core with unstable), more magical protection banners. A bit more RPS of a book where the units are more specialized/rps against certain enemies.
    Could even expand the fluff with priests of "Morr?"(T9A equivalent - priests of the sprit world?) and a unit that has undead upgrade? or spirit upgrade where when they die they come back like the WDG unit. They made a religious vow to fight even after death.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Peacemaker ().

• Peacemaker wrote:

fluff with priests of "Morr?"(T9A equivalent - priests of the sprit world?)
    I guess that would be Ullor.

He’s the god of Wolves and Winter but unlike Ulric in WH he evolved towards an association of « winter means cold, means death » and more recently he also became the god of philosophers at Ullsberg university by association of « winter means long boring days of contemplating the meaning of life and the question to 42 » and well from here he also became god of time and history i guess.

so yeah, Ullor.

God of Wolves, Winter and graveyard tenders.

Hoffa wrote:

Which option would reflect the 8:th edition Warhammer Empire book, option 1 or option 2?
    It looks like number 2 because of all the epicness and GW constantly pushing the button up, but it’s actually number 1, the sentence I wrote « they can’t make new tanks because they were built by Leonardo and he died so they can’t make new ones » is straight from WH fluff.

Extract from Empire AB 8th ed

Also when you get to the RPG – including the very latest version that got released just last year – you really see that life in the Empire is really all about number 1. They may have advanced semaphore towers for communication and an extensive waterways network connecting all major places in the Reikland (including locks, etc.) but even the most anachronic stuff never takes you any further than the years 1600s (and only sometimes 1700s) when the setting obviously feels 1500s in every other aspects.

In short in WH universe the only people with access to steam technology are the dwarves, who don’t share it with humans and only under exceptional circumstances are humans able to make something out of it.

On the other hand, there is not just steam, there’s also clockwork :

extract from same book as above

So, again, this is actually part of the same broad question :

In WH, fantasy feats of clockwork were generally outlandish and exceptional, and highly unstable. Yes, they did exist in the setting, but only for some unusual and « high colour » uses that did not have any effect on the econonomy, production or transportation system since they couldn’t be relied on.

Do we want such stuff as the clockwork horse to become more prevalent in T9A’s Empire of Sonnstahl to the point where they
    a) have a significant impact on the national economy / have stable practical uses that are frequently employed even if limited to certain areas (ANSWER 2)
    b) are well-mastered technologies that have actually already become part of daily life for the average citizen (ANSWER 3)

I’ll edit the initial poll to include clockworks as well as steam.

Translation-Team FR

Public Relations

Linguistic Team

• Hoffa wrote:

Clarification requested. Which option would reflect the 8:th edition Warhammer Empire book, option 1 or option 2?
    Fluff wise number 1
    GW rules didn't follow their fluff though due to wanting to sell models and everyone wanting cool steam tank.

-----------

I will point out however that the T9A rules for steam tank might go a bit more in the model agnostic direction so people can use war wagons and stuff.
    Anyone's guess onto the actual rules. I probably go with a Stateline 5 chassis. with an option to gain random move.
  • Reconquer Designs wrote:

@Peacemaker the fact that 3 is even a possibility, even 2, (heck I’m not too crazy about 1 either) means my interests and those of the world builders are not aligned

Number 1 is straight from Warhammer 8th edition. Heck, number 2 is basically the city of Nuln from warhammer. ...number 3 is way out there though.

well what do you want? ...just knightly orders only or something? no steam stuff at all?
  • Reconquer Designs wrote:

@Peacemaker the fact that 3 is even a possibility, even 2, (heck I’m not too crazy about 1 either) means my interests and those of the world builders are not aligned
    You know it all started because at one point we wondered at BGT if we could make our in-world travels simpler by just having engines on our boats (because sail navigation is so complicated with all those trade winds and seasonal winds and sea currents).

So, before we do anything silly, better ask the community first what your expectations were before it just snowballed out of control.

To comfort you, nobody ever considered option 3, i just put it so as to make sure option 2 (which is the one that is seriously considered by some in the team) looked like the « neutral » option and had the potential to at least get some votes, even though I kind of knew before hand that a majority of youse would vote for option 1.

Translation-Team FR

Public Relations

Linguistic Team

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ghiznuk ().