Speeding up the game

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Speeding up the game

I've mentioned this before, but I do like that KoW seems to play so much faster. Now I'm not asking that 9th becomes KoW as I LOVE the customisation and flavour that 'Warhammer' brings, but it does get me thinking.

What 'minor' changes would you suggest, that would speed the game up? Purely thinking homerules here. I'm not suggesting at all these are considered by 9th.
    Almost like, I have a game scheduled for a week night, what home rules could you bake in that speed the game up?

Now of course, you could just play smaller points, but then it's hardly massed battled then.

I was thinking along the lines of.
    * Pivots instead of wheels
    * No reform (BIG change!). Set your formation and that's what you're in
    * No challenges
    * Deployment is single drop
    Hobby Blog : Itchy Nuisance
    Youtube : Gommo's Itchy Nuisance
  • gommo wrote:

I've mentioned this before, but I do like that KoW seems to play so much faster. Now I'm not asking that 9th becomes KoW as I LOVE the customisation and flavour that 'Warhammer' brings, but it does get me thinking.

What 'minor' changes would you suggest, that would speed the game up? Purely thinking homerules here. I'm not suggesting at all these are considered by 9th.
    Almost like, I have a game scheduled for a week night, what home rules could you bake in that speed the game up?

Now of course, you could just play smaller points, but then it's hardly massed battled then.

I was thinking along the lines of.
    * Pivots instead of wheels
    * No reform (BIG change!). Set your formation and that's what you're in
    * No challenges
    * Deployment is single drop
    in my opinion...
    - wheeling doesn't take a long time
    - reforming isn't done very often
    - the deployment itself doesnt take a long time....it's the whole preparation of the battlefield and the units that are time-consuming...the progress of deploying units is a few minutes. And as the deployment is one oft the most strategic parts, it's worth taking some time
    - it's not only the challenges but characters in general, that take nearly half of the time of doing close combat attacks. All the different characters+champions+challenges+magic equipment+allocation of attacks sometimes even makes the game a but boring. So I am more than on your side regarding this point.

I would even prefer the following
    - max one magic items per character
    - because of less protection potential decrease point costs for characters by e.g. 20% game-wide
    - no challenges
    - no champions
    - max 33% points for characters (maybe even 25%)

I had a stop watch in the last games for every phase. The original aim was to make the game faster and nearly equal game time for each player...not thinking too long for any decisions.
    The interesting side-effect was good informaton about how long every phase takes.
    The biggest surprise was the long time for the MAGIC phase...with often no real effect. this is IMHO the biggest potential to reduce time.

Quick Starter Team

Playtester