Nippon for T9A

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Thanks for the replies!

oreogolem wrote:

I like the new hereditary hypothetically. How do you want it to interact with Multipart models?
      All get +1 Attack. For horses, the effect is negligible mit of the time and the only other mounts are Tatsu, which have a 50mm front. I.e. a unit of 4 Great Guard would gain +8 Attacks with S5. The same is true for Infantry in line formation, so I don't currently see a problem there.

There is of course the possibility to play 6+ Great Guard, but such large units can benefit from the spell more because they give up so much it is rarely a good idea to use them...

oreogolem wrote:

I'm sure there's a way to write the Disc buff to not work with Command Presence.
      Indeed, there is: The unit gains +1 Combat Resolution. The effect is the same if you lose and the a bit better if you win the combat.
      I dislike the idea of stubborn, but I can't quite put a finger on it why that is. Probably because a spell like that it is hard to balance.

DarkSky wrote:

For the spell you probably need to have a rnf only clause. The real power and op territory is when you can give multiple characters extra attacks.
      That was one of my concerns as well. But then I thought about similar spells: Re-roll to hit from Divination or Evocation both have a similar effect - and also affect characters. Hence, I didn't exclude them.

------------------------
      Here's some Mathematics:

Assuming a non-line formation and hitting on 4+, the effects are the same:
      7 models wide => 14 attacks => 7 hits
      - Divination spell => 7 re-rolls => 3.5 additional hits
      - new heriditary spell: 7 additional attacks => 3.5 additional hits

When hitting on 3+, the hereditary spell is better in this case:
      7 additional attacks => 4.7 additional hits

However, if you consider line formation, things are the other way around:
      8 models wide => 24 attacks

To hit 4+: 12 hits
      - Divination spell => 12 re-rolls => 6 additional hits
      - new hereditary spell => 8 additional attacks => 4 additional hits

To hit 3+: 16 hits
      - Divination spell => 8 re-rolls => 5.3 additional hits
      - new hereditary spell => 8 additional attacks => 4 additional hits

When hitting worse than 4+ (e.g. due to Distracting), the Divination spell is always better.

Now, when looking at the casting values:
      - Divination: Casting Value 8+, 18", re-roll to hit PLUS divine attacks, plus attribute, plus potential additional range
      - Evocation: Casting Value 6+ / 7+, 12" / 18", plus attribute

Now, the hereditary spell here has the additional property of potentially increasing the maximum number of possible hits (when compared to re-roll to-hit only), so it is stronger in that regard (although on average, it roughly has the same effect). Additionally, it synergyses well with other spells such as re-roll to-hit (should your opponent fail to dispel one of them)...

---------
      My initial gut feeling for the casting value was 9+ or 10+ as well.

A friend of mine who I'll hopefully play Nippon against this week thinks the spell is too powerful. He said it should be 9+ only for +1 Attack (and no other effect). That's probably a safe route to take - but I'll increase the range to 18" for such a high casting value.
    • Caledoriv wrote:

That was one of my concerns as well. But then I thought about similar spells: Re-roll to hit from Divination or Evocation both have a similar effect - and also affect characters. Hence, I didn't exclude them.
      Well, out of experience it's not quite the same, especially if your characters can otherwise get Hatred as well.

Many characters are balanced around their Attack value and you sometimes need to consciously decide, whether you add more attacks OR make them stronger. Best example would be Hero's Heart, which is the only unconditional enchantment to hand out more attacks and deliberately only goes on hand and paired weapons. I'm no balancing expert, but my guess is, the rule teams did this quite deliberately (I remember when DE still were allowed shamanism. Unit with three elven heroes and Nabh Hatred and +1 attack value buff spell. Most brutal thing ever happened on my table top ever).

Generally: Choosing only one effect might by the cleaner design.

Tool Support Battle Scribe

Community Engagement

My blog with battle reports and painting gallery: bleaklegion.wordpress.com/
    • New

and after some delay, here's my contribution to the Nihon project... looking forward to that Daimyo build!

piteglio wrote:

LJ: ehehe, i did wonder what happens to all the body and bodily fluids after the matches! here's what! : D
      joel: i'd love a surprise clash between ID and VS, meeting up as they tunnel their way up to glory!

and one more homebrew model for today - taking inspiration from the efforts by @Caledoriv on the army of the rising sun, here's a model by Legendarion Miniatures, beautifully painted by Castle Brush, and put up againt our very own Deceiver: