From Beer and Bretzle vol 2

• Oh, what I forgot was:

Since I like to have my models universal usable (since I'm both lazy as efficient :P ), I got the nice benefit to have now a painted EH for the WDG, since the Wings can be taken off and thus I can also represent properly the Brand of Dragon form or not :D

Only problem I have with the wings is, that I'm not that sure if I should glue them to the model in the end or not, since now they are either resting on the tail or the arm :/

Hence, in the end he might no longer be modular :(

Greetings,
      Kathal
      "When four Kings abdicate their thrones, do you really have a Kingdom anymore?"

I kind have a "blog" now: From Beer and Bretzle vol 2

ETC 2016 - ID
      ETC 2017 - WDG
    • JordanBladen wrote:

Its all great information @Iluvatar (sabbatical) :)

Im working on a list currently but it feels like its lacking something.

The SCR of +8 is great but im worried 24 immortals is too little.
      Oh, I oversaw your post, mb ;(

First thing first, you cannot achieve the +8 SCR (static combat resolution) from only 24 guys, since you need 6 ranks (30 guys) to get the +5 from Ranks (and than Banner of Shamut, BSB and Standard Bearer).

Hence, I would go with the Icon of the Inferno on them, since it is pretty bonkers with the Hereditary spell (you cast it and than you can instantly ignite it and thus get 2D3+1 hits form a simple CV4 (?) spell). In general, it is by far the best item we have in the ID book, the magic pressure it can generate is bonkers. For example, I was tinkering around several days to be able to squeeze it into my WTC list, but I never found a satisfying solution :(

Otherwise, 24 guys with IW and Shields are more than enough. If you want to run them with GW, you might consider running more bodies to compensate the first impact. However, I got the feeling, that if you have GW you really want the Overlord for the Hatred, which is not needed with the IW + Shield equipment.

Greetings,
      Kathal

ETC 2016 - ID
      ETC 2017 - WDG
    • What is the best way to paint a pumpkin?

Right, you start with a black + white priming, than paint it yellow and than red :D

This is the quickest and imo one of the best ways to paint it. Though, same as always, not done yet, this is a WIP picture.

For the eyes and tongue, I won't paint them now, since the highlighting needs the pigments, which again I do not have right now. Though, they look rather cool either way (going with a blue glowing eye and tongue).

The rest of the model still needs attention, which will come in the next step.

Greetings,
      Kathal

ETC 2016 - ID
      ETC 2017 - WDG
    • Myrkul wrote:

Like your pumpkin! Kickass paintjob also. Is it scratchbuilt btw? It usually comes out very blobby and messy when people do it but this one's tight: Nice shape and sharp, crisp edges where it fits. Nice job :)
      Sadly no scratch build. It is this model from Spellcrow: spellcrow.com/arachniaq-p-268.html

Though, it is rather easy to build proper Pumpkins, you just need some exercise and knowledge on how to do it. Also, having the correct equipment and material makes your life also way easier ;)

Greetings,
      Kathal

PS: He is still not done regarding painting, need the reflecting pigments first ^^

ETC 2016 - ID
      ETC 2017 - WDG
    • New

WTC is done, I'm done and I noticed again: Do not play on a high profile tournament without any real games in the last 7 months (ETC was my last tournament).

Hence the really bad day one performance :D

I will write down my thoughts about the list first, since I can barely remember my games, I would need a couple of days to be able to write short battle reports.

List for reference:

750 - Overlord, General, Bull of Shamut, Shield, Heros Heart, Essence of Mithril, Ghostly Guard, Lugars Dice
      580 - Vizier, BSB, Bull of Shamut, Infernal Weapon, Shield, Basalt Infusion, Talisman of Shielding, Banner of Shamut
      465 - Prophet, Master, Magical Heirloom, Alchemy
      332 - 2x11 Citadel Guard, Flintlock Axe, M
      180 - 20 Hobgoblins, Bows, M
      285 - 30 Ork Slaves, Shield, M
      227 - 2x6 Tauruks, Shield, MC
      247 - 6 Tauruks, Shield, MSC
      150 - 2x Gunnery Team, Volley Gun
      575 - Kadim Titan

4500pts

It still sucks balls, that the Overlord has to have this set-up, since there is no other good one currently. If you want to go for the Onyx Core, you run into the protection Problem (ideally you would go: Onyx Core, Ghostly Guard, Essence of Mihtril, Potion of Swiftness and Gauntlets of Madzudingsbumps). This set-up is exactly 10pts to expensive, so the "cheaper" one with Basalt Infusion instead of the Ghostly Guard still is 5pts to expensive. Since you do not have the Lugar's Dices on him (to expensive sadly) you really need the Speed Potion, cause otherwise that guy will die first, before being able to kill the threat.

Hence, that build. The combination of Hero's Heart and Lugar's Dices is really neat, since it partially fixes the problem of having S5. He was a really good guy in the tournament, being able to face tank stuff like Caimans (S6 with no magic attacks is the dream for this guy :D ) or all those annoying Spear guys (S4/S3 is really irrelevant, when you have defacto a Buffer's Helm). That the Essence of Mithril only works vs AP3 or more sucks big time, since many crucial spells are not getting covered by it (Divination and Spark of Creation says hi).

The BSB build was decent. I loved the Banner of Shamut in so many games, since it made the combats more stable. Even when I whiffed a turn, I still had enough static res to not just run away, which was awesome. Would play this guy again without thinking twice (just maybe with the Ghostly Guard, if it is available). The only question I have is, if the Dices would be better than the Banner (if I do not run a Overlord). I'm not so sure on this and would need to test it.

The Prophet really wanted a Shield, but sadly, no Character budget for him :(

Otherwise, the Magic was really good. Sadly I had no room for the Icon of Inferno, which is imo a must have in close to every ID list out there. Alchemy was the correct call. Buffing up the armour on my Overlord vs Daemon Legions was desperately needed :D

The Core looks weird for most people, but it boiled down basically to this:
      - Flintlocks are good, but to few bodies per unit. It also sucks, that the 22 shots were rather useless overall, due to the to hit modifiers running wild. Since I missed a dedicated combat block in this list, I might turn them into a single big Infernal Warriors block next time (with GW most likely).
      - Hobgoblins were useless. Did nothing but to be annoying, would rather take a second unit of Slave Orcs with me next time
      - Slave Orcs, the secret MVPs of the tournament. They are so darn cheap for what they offer. If I would play this build again, I would try to squeeze another unit into the list, since they are simply bonkers for what they offer. Only they M4 is a real problem, since it requires you good planning and deployment with them.

The Taurukhs rocked as always. However, in combat they are doing close to nothing without a weapon, so next time I might run 2x5 with Shields (and maybe Musician) and a "bigger" block with IW (if I can get the points somewhere), so that they can be a real threat too.

The Gunnery Teams were "cute" to say it this way. Most of the times they just were annoying and got then used as redirector and/or for weird set-ups (flank charge with one into the DL Crushers to bind them for a turn, sadly wasn't able to get in there).

Given the lists at the tournament, the Flame Throwers would have been better, but you never know this when submitting your list. The biggest problem I had with the Gunnery Team was, that they never hit something. In 80% of the shooting phases they were hitting on 6+ or worse, due to the combination of Long Range, Hard Target, Rolling a '6' for your shots, Cover and other things. And when you hit so bad, you close to never deal any wounds.

I wouldn't mind them to be more expensive but to get a 3+ Aim Score, so that they actually can hit something.

Last but not least, le Titan.

I know, that many ID players do not like him atm, especially due to his price. While I can understand you guys, that guy made in this list a lot of sense, since it provided exactly what the list needed: Another big Monster Threat AND cover for my Chars against Cannons. Though, as always, he had his fun against VC, burning away ~160 Wounds in 4 turns (2 Blocks of Skellis, 1 Block of Zombies and 1 Block of 8 Ghasts).

If I would run a list with two Bull of Shamuts again, I still would play the Titan over the Incarnates. If it would be my only Monster, than Incarnates are "strictly" better.

So, the tl;dr is:

The list is fun to play but can be improved in different areas. If you want to skip on the shooting completely (which I was also considering), than you can play the one big combat block, which this list desperately needs (to be able to tackle stuff like Iron Orcs, Lion Guards, 55 Slaves and similar "none-sense"). However, I would advise close to every ID player to play a list like this sometime, just to get a new view on the army and what the army can actually look like.

Now I just hope, that my other Char set-up gets cheaper by roughly 150pts, so that I can field double Bull of Shamut and Lamasus :D

Greetings,
      Kathal

PS: If you have any questions regarding the tournament or the list, just ask!

ETC 2016 - ID
      ETC 2017 - WDG
    • New

Looking forward to the match break downs.

I too am a fan of the Titan - he is expensive but we'll worth the investment in games I have used him.

Am going to run a dual infernal engine list next time for the one two punch as well as looking cool on the table.
      My guide to alternative Big Hat Chaos Dwarfs 2017 edition: ironhaiden666.blogspot.com.au/…alternative-big-hat-chaos
    • New

Zanthrax wrote:

Am going to run a dual infernal engine list next time for the one two punch as well as looking cool on the table.
      I hope you do not do this, cause the Infernal Engine is a 0-1 choice ;)

Greetings,
      Kathal

ETC 2016 - ID
      ETC 2017 - WDG
    • New

Since I'm currently "locked" in (cause of an Storm and I have no way to get home dry at all), I will start with the battle reports.

First I want to kick of with the general story, on how I got to the WTC.

I wanted to go to one of @'Frederick''s tournaments for a long time, but I never had the opportunity to do so. So when the WTC was announced I really wanted to go there, but I had no idea, if I had the time to do so. Also, if a player, who has not experienced international tournaments would want to go, I wouldn't mind to give him my slot and just go there to do some banter with the guys and do some coverage. However, since in the end we only gobbled together exactly 10 players, I had the "luck" to actually play, which was great and bad at the same time XD

Either way, when the date of the tournament came closer, I had a lot of stress. Deadlines at work, exams, family (Eastern says hi) and other responsibility were taking their toll. It was so bad, that I had to go to bed on Thursday at 1 am, wake up at 4am to pack my stuff and get to the train, which leaves at 6:20, travel for a long time (arrived at 9(?)pm in Herford), just to grab something to eat REALLY fast and than get back at midnight to the venue (was sleeping there) just to sit down and finish painting my army...

So classic tournament preparation for me XD

That the days before weren't any richer regarding sleep should be obvious.

At least I was done at 3am painting my stuff (it took so long, cause of beer and talking with guys, as always...) and so I had a solid 4h of sleep (went to bed at 4am (maybe even later) and woke up at 8am, just right to grab a Semmel with Nutella and sitting down for the pairing phase with a beer and Nutella Sandwich...

Painting at 2am

At least my comrade in arms @doctorgonzo joined my heroic battle against time itself (and the wish to finally get drunk/get to bed).

In the end, my borrowed together army looked like this (cannot use my Pumpkins in that list sadly :( AND the Gunnery Team got painted) :
      Display Spoiler

Close up from my Chars:

First round against Poland 4 (other Teams in our group were Switzerland 1 and Germany 1).

Quote from our WDG player: "When you realise, that Poland is the 'easiest' opponent in your group, something is off..."

My matrix looked okay-ish, BH and VS were the "worse" ones (due to the shooting), but were still somewhat playable.

After parings, I got the honour to play against @Kolata, not that good of an match-up but doable /the Monsters are annoying)

Michal "Kolata" Kolakowski - BH

595 - Beast Lord, General, Hunting Call, Razortusk Chariot, Beast Axe, Light Armour, Shield, Fatal Folly, Trickster’s Cunning, Obscuring Fog, Dragonfire Gem, Talisman of Shielding
      465 - Beast Chieftain, BSB, Greater Totem Bearer, Raiding Chariot, Beast Axe, Heavy Armour, Shield, Basalt Infusion, Dusk Forged
      520 - Soothsayer Master, The Druidism, Wizard Master, Seed of the Dark Forest, Dark Rain
      250 - 15 Wildhorn Herd, Ambush, Paired Weapons, Throwing Weapons (5+), Musican
      250 - 15 Wildhorn Herd, Ambush, Paired Weapons, Throwing Weapons (5+), Musican
      180 - 20 Mongrel Herd, Ambush, Shield, Musician
      116 - 12 Mongrel Raiders, Bow (4+)
      104 - 8 Feral Hounds
      245 - 5 Centaurs, Lance, Light Armour, Shield, Champion, Musician
      135 - 5 Gargoyles
      470 - Gortach
      470 - Gortach
      350 - Cyclops
      350 - Cyclops

Deployment was "Refused Flank" and the scenario was "Capture the Flags".

He chose his side, and after a few drops on each side he decided to drop everything, which allowed me to get my Characters out of range from his Cyclops in the first round.

After deploying, I already "cursed", cause I made a dump mistake with the positioning of my Gunnery Teams (they can basically shoot only on one Gortach, if I'm lucky). Welp, still not used to have shooting elements in the army

In his first turn he moved aggressively forward, and tried to get in range with the Cyclops. One could shoot on the General, which failed it's "to hit" roll (cause moved + long range).

In my first turn my Titan rolled 6-6-5 followed by a smooth 6-5-5 and thus had to declare a charge, which he failed....

Dude, when you fail your Frenzy check, at least roll the darn 7...

Either way, my Slaves waddled heroically forward to meet their doom in a Gortach and the Lord on Taxi. The rest of the movement phase was covering zones and also get my flyers into "cover" against both Cyclops (they could again move + shoot, but only hit again on 6es). Magic and shooting resulted into a nearly dead Gortach (1 wound remaining).

Display Spoiler

I have honestly no idea, why I have a picture from that turn XD

In his turn he went for my trap and charged my Slaves with both the full Gortach as the Beast Lord. Also, the Centaurs got the 10 into my Taurukhs (and thus annihilated them soon afterwards). Rest of his movement was to be able to threaten me more with his stuff. Reason for this is quite simple. He had to spread out to be able to pressure me starting with turn 1. However, since I "denied" him a flank, several of his units (including two Monsters) were not able to participate at all.

Magic was kind to him, cause he completely healed the Gortach again (or 1 wound remaining, it doesn't really matter).

The combat saw some dead Taurukhs (as said) and also close to 20 dead Orc Slaves. This was more than enough for me to do a cheeky post combat reform (reforming basically 13 wide), which allowed the Titan to charge the Gortach (he lost two wounds earlier due to shooting and combat).

I failed again my Frenzy check (yay, the second additional attack), and also got the charge into the Gortach (needed a 5 and rolled it). I had a juicy overrun into the second Gortach (needed a 6 or something like this) and right behind there was the mage Carrier. The General sadly didn't roll the 6 into the flank of the General.

Magic and Shooting saw some pew pew to get the second Gortach again down to 2 Wounds and made the first one (who is engaged into combat with the Titan) flammable.

And this is where my dice said nope

With my 8 Attacks, hitting on 3+ (with Battle Focus btw), wounding on 3+ rerollable (cause he was flaming) I did exactly 1 Wound, which is not enough to kill him. The backswing killed enough Orcs, that I insta died from the combat resolution.

Yep, in the end this game is still a dice game

The aftermath was quite simple, I basically lost my complete backline and tried to make some risky points, which I failed to do so, cause I played it down really bad. Here I noticed my lack of practice the most.

In the end, I was able to gobble enough scorers together AND save enough Scorer, that I made 3 points (he didn't get the Scenario IIRC). However, the game only lasted 5 turns, with a 6th turn I would have lost the Scenario for sure but would have gotten some big bucks too (the General and both Gortachs most likely).

Either way, a rather unsatisfying start to the WTC.

Greetings,
      Kathal

PS: Maybe I have some pictures of the games, but I doubt it. It was just to stressful for me to make them (lack of practice, sleep and 8 games say hi).

ETC 2016 - ID
      ETC 2017 - WDG

The post was edited 4 times, last by Kathal ().

• New

Added a Intro to my last post (so now it has everything but the pics). I also found several pictures, will add them over the next few days (I'm just uploading them right now, it takes it's time cause 14 pictures with crappy internet connection take their time).

Greetings,
      Kathal

ETC 2016 - ID
      ETC 2017 - WDG
    • New

Nice report :) But you must have been really tired cause some things went differently ;)
      We played breakthrough and I got the scenario. (Remember your citadel guard charging the cyclops on your last turn?)
      You got my with this reform, I made mine carelessly. But the dice helped ;) BTW, This gortach was on 5 wounds. We counted and you should have inflicted on average slightly above 5 wounds. And you had to kill him instantly to hold. Bigger fail was the failed charge of your general ;P
      Anyway, thanks for a good game! I hope we get a chance to play again :) Your're all super cool guys, especially your captain with huge bag of sweets :D
      Team Belgium ETC 2006 O&G & 2007 Skaven
      Team Canada ETC 2010 & 2012 O&G
      My Beast Herd Gallery
      My O&G Gallery
    • New

Kolata wrote:

Nice report But you must have been really tired cause some things went differently
      Yeah, thanks for the clarification (will edit it later, to dead right now to do anything).

I had overall only 20 hours sleep from Tuesday till Sunday (so 5 days with average 4h sleep, and the biggest one was on Tuesday with 5h). I hate deadlines so much...

Kolata wrote:

This gortach was on 5 wounds. We counted and you should have inflicted on average slightly above 5 wounds.
      Oh right, he healed a wound when he charged (forgot about this). Also, the Titan deals on average 5,9 wounds, so 6 (thanks to Flammable, Battle Focus and two failed Frenzy checks).

Either way, thanks again for the game, was an relaxing start to the tournament.

Greetings,
      Kathal

ETC 2016 - ID
      ETC 2017 - WDG
    • New

Kathal wrote:

Zanthrax wrote:

I hope you do not do this, cause the Infernal Engine is a 0-1 choice ;)
      Greetings,
      Kathal
      lol thanks missed that
      My guide to alternative Big Hat Chaos Dwarfs 2017 edition: ironhaiden666.blogspot.com.au/…alternative-big-hat-chaos