Post what you're currently working on...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Hello. Some amazing work in this thread. Thanks for sharing it, it's really inspirational, and I love seeing other people's dwarves.

I'm coming back to the hobby, and after selling everything I have to start from scratch. I decided to make my color theme dark, with something like silver and "lightning blue". I know I'm not the best painting, and it's been almost 9 years since I painted my old army, but so far I'm liking it like a young kid (you could say I have the skills of one, tbh).

So far, only 10 warriors from the Skull Pass.

Greetings from Spain. I'll show you my progress!
  • Welcome back! And glad to see you painting! Most my friends play with grey armies ...

And regarding skill, who cares! Can always return and redo them. If you manage to keep things consistent, you will have a nice dark army to show off. Can't wait to see more.
    Painting stuff: Sabious' Crafts - Painting, terrain, etc.
    Offsite complete collection sabiousblog.wordpress.com/
  • New

Yo, I FINALLY put the finishing touch to my Buster. (except the base of the transparent support I overlooked and realised just as I was taking the picture.)
    Here it is.
    I used grey stuff to make the exhaust fumes that serve as rear support because the thing is too heavy to be stable with just the one middle support. And I used magnets for the outter "fans" so that I can just put them back into place in case the come off due to transport and accidents.
    Core tax is absurd lets get rid of it!
  • New

ilovepeanut wrote:

Yo, I FINALLY put the finishing touch to my Buster. (except the base of the transparent support I overlooked and realised just as I was taking the picture.)
    Here it is.
    I used grey stuff to make the exhaust fumes that serve as rear support because the thing is too heavy to be stable with just the one middle support. And I used magnets for the outter "fans" so that I can just put them back into place in case the come off due to transport and accidents.
    Good thinking with the magnets, that's pretty brilliant!

I have the same buster model. Is the rear support because the main shaft support would separate from the base?
    My trouble with the buster is that its too top heavy. I used steel bases from Shogun Miniatrures to add a bunch of weight to the bottom, but I never had any issues with it sticking to the base.

I took an approach of reinforcing the peg base to rectangular base interface by using a bunch of S-Glue and and grey stuff. The cork in the pic below (right buster) is hollow on the inside, covering up my sins. The left one is before adding all the extra stuff.

Still, its pretty top heavy, I should take your approach and cut the peg down a bit.

Did you have the same problem as me where the two halfs of the balloon dont really fit the center ring all that well?

• New

No it's not that it would separate I thought it wouldn't be stable enough with only one support, I feared it might fall over because it's so heavy. And I wanted to add some smoke effect too. That's also why I cut the peg, but I when overboard and now it might be difficult to put it in base contact with other models. But it's ok I have some spare rectangular bases.

Yeah The whole thing was hell to assemble, I still have the second one to do and I'm scratching my brains out trying to figure out a way to do it nicely. With the first one I separated every horizontal section of the balloon and stuck them back together with green stuff. But there must be some better way.
    I had to use a massive amount of green stuff and I'm still not really satisfied with the result.
    I wouldn't recommend these models The design is great but the quality of the pieces suck. It's like nothing really fit together. I had to use green stuff to glue basically everything.

My biggest problem is that the plastic itself is weird. It doesn't let any paint stick to it properly and I fear the paint might crumble. Do you have some kind of tip for that?

Also great air force you got there you don't want to build the weapon and the engines?
  • New

I am painting the accessories separate. I airbrushed everything so it was just easier to leave those pieces off until I was ready to add them.
    I was getting flaking too, specifically on the fins, not sure why. The rest of the model has been pretty resilient. I used Citiadel black (cause i'm a sucker for overpriced primer). I have also only airbrushed color on them which in my experience flakes a lot less (perhaps that's superstition).

That's insane that you split them and reattached with green stuff! You did a really good job though, I cannot tell that you added green stuff. I was trying to do that, but it was way more work than I was willing to put in.

My solution was to just make it fit as best as possible on the top, since that's what people will see. I also made little transitions out of green stuff from the balloon longitudinal supports up to the center ring. It sort of helps smooth out the transition so your eye does not pick out the stark contrast as much. You can kind of see them in the picture (looking at the left balloon) where the top is flush with the center ring, but the 3rd support down has those triangles.

It seemed to me like the center rings and the balloon quarters were totally different plastic. Perhaps they have different companies make the different parts and box them together, hence the crummy fit?

Despite all of that, I actually really love these models, they have such an ominous presence. I also picked up the Ancestral Zeppelins Link as bombers. My dwarf list is an all-vanguard/air-force list, so all the balloons together look really trick. The Ancestral Zeppelins are actually pretty nice as the balloon and center ring is all 1 piece. However they are SOLID resin, so they weight as much or more than the entire massive zeppelins we are talking about, despite being half the size. If I was smart, I would have drilled out the inside of the little zeppelins from the back (as the engine is attached separate) to remove some of the weight.
  • New

I'm looking forward to see the final result. I had an idea for the misfitted quarters of the balloon. I'll try to put a piece of stick inside to force it open a little wider and so that it fits the other side better.
    Since the paint only flakes from the flat surface of the quarters it's possible that the plastic is different indeed. I'll try to unpolish them with a really soft glass paper before I apply a second layer of primer. I used a white primer for that one we'll see how it goes.
    I love the visual design of the model too I'm just frustrated at how hard it is to build and paint the damn thing X(
    What I like best is that it's massive I wanted a big piece, a center piece for the army. Because dwarves have no monsters I've always been jealous of the cool big models some could have.
    Now I'll have a few of my own! :)

I'll try to use a steampunk army. With 2 Buster a unit of 8 Hold guardian, and some copter if I can afford it. Supported by markmen, greybeards and a cannon for the psychological pressure.