The Koghi Empire of Gold - PLAYTESTERS WELCOME

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

And on December 24th, Father Chaos brought us... A brand new army book for Daemon Legions!

• The Koghi Empire of Gold - PLAYTESTERS WELCOME

EDIT: latest version of the Army Book to be found here: The Koghi Empire of Gold - PLAYTESTERS WELCOME

-=-=-

This thread is designed for building a T9A army based in Koghi Empire, mirroring (with some fantasy) the fabulous old Empire of Ghana and the legendary city of Timbuktu.
      It was initiated thanks to @Ghiznuk, in It's time for Africa !

The goal here is not merely to find an exotic setting for models.
      What we want to achieve is to take inspiration from some of the most glorious or fascinating pages of the History of various African peoples, and realize from that a quality extension of T9A, which will give justice to the African continent and its cultures, too often forgotten in Fantasy games.

This thread is created as the Koghi AB is only a vision.
      This is where volunteers will combine efforts to make it happen.

We will explore:
      - the background
      - the army rules: ASAW, Army Rules, Characters, Troops - Quick Summary,
      - possible models. See also: The Koghi Empire of Gold - post 194

Please participate! :largegrin:

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
    • 1. Background.
      Initial research in It's time for Africa !
      BG in T9A material

Human Empire of Koghi and its inhabitants, the Koghinans.
      Hailing from a huge and mysterious empire of Taphria rumoured to be wealthier than all the kings of Vetia combined, thanks to its trade in salt and gold. These soldiers are well-armed, and coat their weapons in deadly venom.
      They use arrows. They use slavery in the salt mines.
      Koghi Empire. City of Dogoko.
      BG in African History and legends

Low altitude, dry Sahelian/Savannah plains with the all-important Niger river, playing a similar role as the Nile.
      City of Timbuktu, city of Djenné. Cities were famous for not having any wall – they needed none.
      The name of the Empire centered west of Timbuktu was ancient Ghana; the ruins of its capital are Koumbi Saleh). Also see Sahelian empires of Mali, Songhai, Kanem. EDIT: and Hausa Kingdoms, Mossi, Fula people...
      Scarse nomadic tribes. A super-wealthy absolute king, head of the religion too.
      The river Niger is the source of agricultural wealth, which is complemented with pacific trade and skilled craftsmanship. Not much cattle rising due to tsetse fly and climate too dry. Technology of iron was mastered… where wood exists.
      Ghana was a major source of gold in medieval times, coming from the shores of river Niger, but the source was kept secret and the legend told that gold grows like plants in the sand, and is cut off daily at dawn. Hundreds of thousands of workers were extracting yearly ~1 ton of gold. Gold was so prevalent that copper was considered to be more a precious metal for jewelry. Salt was the other resource, coming from deposit in former inner seas now evaporated.

No country in Africa ever developed a full-fledged feodal system were « private » ownership of the land (usually acquired by conquest) was what made you a part of the ruling class. African kingdoms were typically based on a purely blood-line aspect, which meant the « boundaries » of different States could overlap each other. For example (and it is still the case nowadays in the places where «traditional kings» still exist such as Benin), in one village or town, you could have people of two different ethnicities who would each belong and give tribute to a different king. And the same situation could prevail in all the villages of a given region, so each king would be responsible for different citizens of the same towns.

This was even more complicated by the fact that people tended to move along a lot. It is estimated that in Africa the life of a given village was about 30 years, one generation, as the land surrounding the village would be exhausted after intense cultivation all that time without the use of fertilizers. In a lot of cultures, it was expected that the young men of a given village would go and create a new village a few kilometres away after get married or even right after initiation. As each generation moved along, they would bring with them their families' valuales such as fetishes, gold, sculpted furniture (doors, trunks, etc.) ; this is one of the reason you don't find big historical buildings in Africa : people never needed them, except in the few settled towns, typically craftsmen and traders who were a different ethnicity than the surrounding countryside, in West Africa they were muslim Dioula (Mali) or Hausa (Nigeria). Also it's really difficult to find stones for building in Africa, just clay – again, due to the old age of the continent.

See more here: The Koghi Empire of Gold and The Koghi Empire of Gold and The Koghi Empire of Gold

Also interesting:

JimMorr wrote:

I've been a few weeks ago in Western Africa ;)
      In western Africa there existed a caste of griots. They were poet/bards responsible for each tribe tradition and history. When a griot died he could not be buried as he had refused to work with soil in his life and soil would not accept him after death. Instead griots were buried in old baobab trees.

We could use this custom. Awaken burial tree of Anteaters powered by hundreds bound souls of dead griots would make a wonderful hive-guardian and high level wizard-monster. It would be also wonderful mockery of Treefathers. The baobabs are one of the few trees in Africa that drop leaves in dry period making them very suitable addition to the army.

Army background

Al Bakhri relates an army of 200,000 men including 40,000 bowmen.
      Dahomey Frenzied Amazons were described.
      Songhai cavalry comprised professional warriors, using lances. The Songhaï were famous for sending cattle in front of their army to trample their enemies before engagement.
      As a matter of fact the historical armies of the savannah empires were mostly made up of slaves that were professionally trained, much like the Turkish Janissaries. In some cases they were held in high regard, historically some countries, like Egpyt or Turkey, were at some points ruled by such juntas made of an elite warrior slaves caste, that reproduced not by political marriage but by capturing new promising members in surrounding countries and initiating them to their order.

The very open landscape means even troops of skirmishers on foot can encircle the enemy from very wide.
      Also, don't forget that the «savannah» is not so open as you would think.
      Firstly, even in the very flat Africa (a flatness due to the very old age of the continent, the fact that it, and especially in the West, has not known any tectonic movements since billions of years, just like Australia) you still find a few rocky bluffs that emerge out of the plain like brown islands in the orange. Think small Uluru's a bit everywhere.
      There are also lots of trees still here and there, especially along the streams, which are numerous, even if it just means a trench with some water at the bottom part of the year, it is enough to make for a very long row of trees that one can use as a cover to travel long distances.
      Second, and this point is important to understand, A SAVANNAH IS NOT A STEPPE. The definition of a savannah is an area of tall grass, « tall » meaning something like 2-3 meters high. In such a landscape, it is very easy for people on foot to move about, whereas cavalry is needed for anyone wishing to see anything more than just 50 cm away.

Ghiznuk wrote:

The use of cattle in Songhaï armies is historically documented, that's how they lost the empire to Morocco.

Cavalry is widely available, including barded heavy cavalry using lances.
      Bows are used extensively, with poison attacks as an option.
      DE Blades of Nabh as an inspiration for the melee Amazons.
      Beasts: domestic cattle stampeding herds.
      Koghi should have access to camels, they're still pretty common as far South as Bamako.
      In the North of Sahara, Hannibal's elephants were a specific breed, smaller and more docile, living only North of Sahara, and came extinct as Rome became an Empire.
      Drop rhinos and monsters, and leave them for Vanhu and other Taphrian factions.

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

• 2. Army book.

Based on consultation of several community members, we consider the following playstyle and ASAW. Source thread here: It's time for Africa !

Playstyles

Preferred:
      4.3Cavalry based
      3.6Monstruos Infantry/cavalry/beast based
      3.4Infantry based
      3.4Guerilla fighting (ambush, scout etc)

Possible but not optimized:
      3.1Avoidance
      2.7Mixed arms/jack of all trades - master of none
      2.7Big main block + many support ("deathstar")
      2.7Single-model based ("monster mash")

Not available:
      2.0Gunline
      1.1Flying circus

ASAW

Army strengths:
      4.4MOBILITY - Speed
      4.4MOBILITY - Maneuverability (ability to change direction)
      4.0DEFENSE - Avoiding hits
      3.9MOBILITY - Deployment (ambush, scout, vanguard)

Army average:
      3.6COMBAT - First-combat-turn damage capacitiy
      3.6RANGED - Maneuverable shooting
      3.4RANGED - Offensive magic, smaller damaging spells (Fireball and similar, "Small arms spells")
      3.4LEADERSHIP - Bubble Ld (units are brave when close to general/BSB)
      3.4SUPPORT - Magic spells (buff/debuff)
      3.3DEFENSE - Strength in numbers (many low-quality wounds, including raising)
      3.3RANGED - Small arms fire (lots of low strength shooting models, bows, crossbows etc)
      3.1LEADERSHIP - Unit's Ld independence (units are brave when alone)
      2.9DEFENSE - Toughness
      2.9SUPPORT (friendlies) - Magic
      2.7COMBAT - Continuated damage output ("grinding")
      2.7SUPPORT - Intrinsical inter-unit synergy

Army weaknesses:
      2.4DEFENSE - Special Saves
      2.4RANGED - Offensive magic, single big devastating spells ("Heavy arms spells")
      2.3SUPPORT - Buff wagons, unit-enhancing characters and items
      2.1DEFENSE - Armour
      2.1RANGED - Medium arms fire (Few medium strength shootin models, bombardiers, rotary guns, ignoters etc)
      2.0SUPPORT - Debuff wagons, unit-de-enhancing characters and items

Hard weaknesses:
      1.9LEADERSHIP - Ignore morale (ITP, unstable etc)
      0.9RANGED - Heavy arms fire (war machines and artillery weapons)

Comments:
      Our average vision concentrates on cavalry as the bulk of the army, helped with monstrous things (assuming Cattle and M.Cavalry such as camels) and infantry. Consistent with living in open savannah.
      Guerilla is not consistent with fighting in open savannah, my understanding is that we desire the army to be sufficiently mobile to make wide circles around opponents for attacks coming from all directions.
      On the weak side, nothing flies, gunline is not possible (so the poison arrows must be very limited) and single monsters (aka elephants) must remain a rarity.

ASAW rates supremely high all kind of mobility
      The harshest weaknesses concern anything heavy.
      The army cannot sustain hits (cataphracts should remain a rarity) and its morale is not among its assets.
      Shooting is a complement and little synergy or support is envisioned.
      It is really a razzia army.

comments

kisanis wrote:

Some great opportunities for a fun infantry army here.I like the Koghi - I still think some avoidance would be good for the list to let it play different than the KoE classic knight lists.
      (I'm thinking fire and flee javelin horsemen here, Maybe short bows, maybe a dragoon (mounted/dismounted cav)

Ghiznuk wrote:

The very open landscape means even troops of skirmishers on foot can encircle the enemy from very wide.

Karak Norn Clansman wrote:

Speaking of gold, I cannot help but think of Greasous Goldtooth and Musa I of Mali's gold-spreading inflation trip of pilgrimage. Would a magic item playing along these lines be something desirable for the army?
      Something must be done about gold, possibily a strong debuff in magic items.

As a matter of fact the historical armies of the savannah empires were mostly made up of slaves that were professionally trained, much like the Turkish Janissaries.We'll have to investigate further regarding their stats. I think those slaves should have pretty high Discipline for example.

I love the idea of spiders but I think they should be kept for whatever we planned to have coming from the jungles. :)

Calisson wrote:

For a place like Sahel, it seems hard to move without making a large dust column, let alone to get close without being spotted from afar. Ambush could be considered, but it would not be realistic to make it a predominant tactics, contrary to what we will do for jungle armies.

-=-=-
      The riches of Koghi is legendary (and Vanhu as well). This should show in some way. Not for the commoner, of course, but why not some fancy magic items for a rich elite guard of the Emperor?

-=-=-
      Flying beast, I'd rather not: we voted for Flying Circus to be the most unavailable playstyle.
      If we gaved all shiny toys to an OP army, it would not be a T9A army meant to compare to the 16 factions.

-=-=-
      Millitary slaves: this has been a tradition in Turkish Empire (extending along the Mediterranean Sea up to Algeria), with the Janissaries, and known in Egypt as Mamluks. I don't have any similar information about old Ghana, but it may be just my ignorance.
      IMO, elite millitary slaves would fit more al-Qassar than Koghi.

The Homebrew armybook layout template found in the Homebrew Guidelines is adapted to 1st edition. The guidelines, however, remain valid.

Now the real work shall start on every army rule, objects and units.

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

• 3. Models.
      If some models are mentioned, let me know so that I can edit and post here below.
      At least, we have awesome pictures.
      war elephants with howdah

Ghiznuk wrote:

We are not making up rules for Warhammer Historical here, right ?

I want the Taphrian to be BIGGER, SCARIER, MIGHTIER, than the real world elephant !
      And i don't mind them having several tusks and trumps, like in LotR.

Koghi empire has MAGIC, for Shango's sake ! I'd think that'd be enough to give ANY explanation as to how they domesticate them !

If we look at the different cultures of Taphria, I see only Koghi as being able to have such beasts for riding, because they are an advanced feudal culture.

Ghiznuk wrote:

Calisson wrote:

Koghi is the only army I can picture in Taphria that would be able to field this exact model :

Bush fire

Ghiznuk wrote:

Guys setting the battlefield ablaze litterally push a firewall in front of themselves.

some models

Petterwass wrote:

Could quite easily be represented by

and

Could probably be done quite well by your standard Bretonnian/Fireforge/Generic european knightly pony, just with a different rider

Shlagrabak wrote:

check GW Mumak and Beast of Gorgoroth under the LoTR line, I think these are quite nice examples of big beasts that would fit.

See victrixlimited.com/collections…ucts/warriors-of-carthage, suggested by Karak Norn Clansman
      Files

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

• 4. Team.
      Under @Ghiznuk's leadership, people are welcome to develop one or another part of the product.
      As for myself, I am interested in the background.

@setrius, @Myrkul, @Shlagrabak, @Scylla, @Pomegranate
      and everyone else, please join us!

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

• Brainstorming ideas for the army book.

Cavalry should be widely available but light.
      Core lances with little armor, shield optional.
      Barded cataphracts rarer (armor weakness). Could be the Emperor Guard.
      Javelin available but rarer (gunline weakness).EDIT: Javelin-armed harassment cavalry, as support.
      Some units able to appear behind enemy's lines (ambush strength).
      An all-cav army must be competitive.

Camels as monstrous cavalry, inspiring fear to horses, but not in core.

Core Infantry of mediocre Ld. Spear/cutlass and shield, no armor.
      Some bowmen with short range bows, not enough to make a gunline.
      Some scarcer units with poison arrows.
      Some Frenzied Amazons (drunk slaves, historically).
      EDIT: Bush firemen (those who set fire, not those who extinguish it!)

Beasts! Cattle in core, sent to charge but not fight.
      What about some (half domesticated) lions, too? Very few if any.

Monsters are limited (not available as playstyle) to very few war elephants carrying a few bowmen on howdah. The killer is the monster much more than the riders. Note that such a massive mammal is bound to have an overheating problem. It could be reflected by a number of attacks linked with remaining HP; also, marching should be less than double speed.

The % should prevent gunline and too many elephants.

-=-=-
      To reflect the unbelievable wealth, maybe a single unit of gold/salt caravan.
      As long as the unit is on the battlefield, the opponent loses his secondary objective. However, if the unit is destroyed in melee, it is considered captured and gives secondary objective bonuses to the opponent.
      -=-=-
      The hereditary spell could allow more mobility.
      -=-=-
      Thoughts?

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

• Mounted javelins, definitely, as support to the main cavalry.

I was thinking that since fire is so important to the Sahelian culture, it should be a unit.
      Like, guys setting the battlefield ablaze litterally.
      They could be coming as Ambushers and push a firewall in front of themselves, like 12'' wide and they get Hard target from it.
      Any unit it reaches gets St 4 AP 0 hits.

About «Janissaries», not sure about Old Ghana as sources are lacking because it is so old, but you get a lot more info on that question in the successor empires such as Mali and Songhai.
      Probably in UNESCO General History of Africa.

Actually I think at this stage this is the most pressing issue as it will define the core of the infantry in the army : high or low leadership ?
      So i'll have to do the research, not today though, unfortunately.

Totally agree about the dust. Yes, an approaching army would be seen tens of kilometres away, especially since the landscape is so flat.
      Still, once the army would be there, people could easily encircle the opposing army.

The savannah picture might not have been taken in Western Africa, but that's the one that corresponds the best to my experience of walking in the savannah :largegrin: Also there you don't see all the bugs flying all around you and aiming straight for your eyes (probably to drink from their moisture), the sun hitting like really hard on your head, the army ants walking right under you, the grass scratching your skin, the water that suddenly appears out of nowhere under your feet. Just hell.

But yes, in the drier parts, the savannah is steppe that gradually turns into desert.
      GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
      First T9A player in West Africa
    • Thanks for replies.

@Mercenary Armies See the whole Taphrian project here: It's time for Africa !
      BH-derived AB is planned indeed, see in It's time for Africa ! the embryonic thoughts about Beast Tribes.
      Would you happen to be willing to develop it by yourself, with a little help from other participants? :largegrin:

-=-=-

Pomegranate wrote:

Maybe some Savannah flavoured centaurs to supplement the cavalry element, such as antelope or zebra bodies?
      I am not aware of any Centaur legend in African background.
      Instead of exporting European heritage into African landscape, why not use the rich actual African History, traditions and folklore?

-=-=-

Pomegranate wrote:

Javelin-armed harassment cavalry could be a cool unique unit to bring support.

Ghiznuk wrote:

Mounted javelins, definitely, as support to the main cavalry.
      :thumbup:

-=-=-

Ghiznuk wrote:

I was thinking that since fire is so important to the Sahelian culture, it should be a unit.
      Like, guys setting the battlefield ablaze litterally.
      They could push a firewall in front of themselves.

:thumbup:

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

• Calisson wrote:

Brainstorming ideas for the army book.

Cavalry should be widely available but light.
      Core lances with little armor, shield optional.
      Barded cataphracts rarer (armor weakness). Could be the Emperor Guard.
      Javelin available but rarer (gunline weakness).EDIT: Javelin-armed harassment cavalry, as support.
      Some units able to appear behind enemy's lines (ambush strength).
      An all-cav army must be competitive.

Camels as monstrous cavalry, inspiring fear to horses, but not in core.

Core Infantry of mediocre Ld. Spear/cutlass and shield, no armor.
      Some bowmen with short range bows, not enough to make a gunline.
      Some scarcer units with poison arrows.
      Some Frenzied Amazons (drunk slaves, historically).
      EDIT: Bush firemen (those who set fire, not those who extinguish it!)

Beasts! Cattle in core, sent to charge but not fight.
      What about some (half domesticated) lions, too? Very few if any.

Monsters are limited (not available as playstyle) to very few war elephants carrying a few bowmen on howdah. The killer is the monster much more than the riders. Note that such a massive mammal is bound to have an overheating problem. It could be reflected by a number of attacks linked with remaining HP; also, marching should be less than double speed.

The % should prevent gunline and too many elephants.

-=-=-
      To reflect the unbelievable wealth, maybe a single unit of gold/salt caravan.
      As long as the unit is on the battlefield, the opponent loses his secondary objective. However, if the unit is destroyed in melee, it is considered captured and gives secondary objective bonuses to the opponent.
      -=-=-
      -=-=-
      Thoughts?
      I really like a lot of these ideas, but there are a couple of thoughts.

Why have Camels as monstrous? They are tall, but not that much bigger than horses. They can just be a T4 cavalry unit that are not as fast as horses. And certainly Fear in horses though, can't let that old one go xD.

Also a simple way to limit the bowmen is just to put a model and unit limit. I don't think this is the kind of army where we need a separate selection just for ranged units.

And Ambush, what about something like the Briar Beast, where units can ambush from Fields? But without the insanity of not rolling for it xD.

For a monstrous Cavalry unit though, why not have 2 types of Elephant? A "Small" one and a "Bull" one? Small ones could be like Tuskers, 50x100 bases, but go in units. While the Bulls go on a far larger base (100x150 like the Mammoth) and are just single monsters.

Lord of the Hobby

• OK for Camels.
      Not a fan of unit limits, because it does not scale with the size of the army, and make small armies very unbalanced and large armies too homogeneous. % categories are much better.

-=-=-
      All right.
      I tried below to capture most of the ideas expressed so far, and to align as best as possible with ASAW and desired playstyle.

Please comment.
      Note 1: I am totally unable to determine the appropriate pts value of anything, someone else will have to do it please.
      Note 2: Could someone please take on to make a corrisponding Word document, inspired by the Homebrew armybook layout template?

Army Model Rules
      Weapons - Armours
      Metal ore is widely available, but the climate does not allow heavy armors.
      See Cataphract cavalry Core entry.

Edit: Lion pet: Dogs are not considered in Koghi. Instead, Kings and Heroes like the company of a young male lion.
      The model of a chained lion is litterally attached to the model of the owner and is considered as a single model for gaming purpose. Infantry or cavalry only. Owner gains 1HP, and 3 Att Agi4 S4.

Gold
      The wealth of the Empire comes from [i]Salt and Gold, which foreigners believe to grow slowly on rocky plains.[/i]
      Salt Caravans and Gold Caravans modify secondary Objectives. See the relevant Special entry.

Hereditary Spell
      Anywhere you go, you will always be met in no time by a small troop of local people coming apparently from nowhere.

Special equipment

Weapon Enchantments To be determined.

Artefacts
      Gris-gris talisman: Nobody would dare to leave home without a Gris-gris to ward off bad luck. So many Daemons around.
      MR(1) – available to every unit’s champions.
      Several Gris-gris on the same character model or in the same unit stack, up to MR(3).

Staff of Swarms: A dense Swarm of Locusts covers the horizon.
      bound spell to conjure a swarm of locusts.

Some specific equipment for the Caravan Captain, to reflect the access to foreign markets.

Banner Enchantments To be determined.
      Army Organisation

CharactersCoreSpecialShootersWar Animals
      Max 40%At least 25%No limitMax 25%Max 25%

The % should prevent gunlines and too many elephants in a predominantly Human army.

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

• Characters
      King of Kings.
      Taphrian kingdoms are typically based on ethnicity and blood links, which means that the “boundaries” of different Kingdoms typically overlap each other. Empires are united under a King of King. While Vetians leaders envy their immense wealth, the real source of their power is the total loyalty of their subjects.
      The name is King of Kings instead of Emperor, because this allows several of them to be present, while there can be only one Emperor (the one ruling Koghi strictly speaking).
      The King of Kings should not be a fighting hero (he lets others do the fighting) but a Ld hero: while in the Ld bubble, the troops are fanatics - while outside the bubble, they have much lower Ld.
      As a mount, a ceremonial Palanquin should allow the person to stay back in 2nd rank, like SA’s Cuatl, while extending the general’s bubble.
      In the same way, riding a War Tusker would allow the monster to do the fighting while the lord is out of reach. Fitting.

Griot
      Historian, storyteller, praise singer, poet and/or musician, he is the repository of oral tradition.
      Always in company of the King = Very fitting BSB. A mediocre fighter, but he/she (some were females) may have an additional property linked with Ld.

Tribal King
      Every nation has its own King, chosen among the most experienced elders, ruling affiliated subjects rather than the land on which they merely travel. They are respectfully called “Daddy”.
      Local hero, intended to lead a single unit and fight reasonably well. Available as Infantry or Cavalry, in order to allow him to join most units with a compatible equipment. Wide access to wealthy equipment.

Brotherhood Prophet
      For each warrior brotherhood, their leader is their father and mother, their idol and example.
      Infantry only. This fierce warrior inspires the unit he joins, to fanatical behavior. Disregard for losses but frightening attacks. Gives his special rule to the whole unit which he has joined. May become BSB.

Caravan Captain.
      He who travels in caravans expects to face all dangers. Caravan Captains are elected among those who have done it successfully for years. They have right of life and death on all the caravan members.
      Must ride a camel. Exclusive access to one exotic artefact. Allows one unit of Mehari to ambush.

Marabout
      Witch doctor, cures the possessed, calls the genies – brings back your mother in law.
      Must select spells from (choose one): WitchcraftThaumaturgyEvocationPyromancy.
      Infantry only.
      Mounts
      Horse: The Taphrian breed is shorter but as sturdy as the large Taphrian warhorses.
      Adv 8 Mar 16; cataphract barding: Adv7 March 14; Off 2.

Camel: The vessel of the desert. Not fast, but they can walk for days under the sun without rest.
      Adv 5, Mar 18 (yes, it is relentless!), Off 1, Res 4, fear.

Ceremonial Palanquin with 6 to 10 bearers on foot: Kings are too sacred to touch the soil.
      When a Lord is in a unit with Bodyguard, it gains Stand Behind. The model has as many wounds as it counts bearers. Bearers have no armor and let the lord do all the fighting.

War tusker: Some incredibly large monsters live beyond the sand, which sometimes may be tamed to the service of Men.
      Enormous! A war elephant carrying either the general (as mount) or a few bowmen (as monster) on a howdah. The killer is the monster much more than the riders. Note that such a massive mammal is bound to have an overheating problem. It could be reflected by a number of attacks linked with remaining HP; also, marching should be less than double speed, such as Adv 7, Mar 10.

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

• Core
      Note: Units need better names.

Cataphract Cavalry (Medium cavalry): The warriors and their mounts are not protected by steel, which would heat too much under the sun, but by multiple layers of cloth which provide together a decent protection.
      Cataphract barding (slows down the horse), light armor, no shield. Light lance and cutlass gives light lance attack when charging, and 2 attacks otherwise. Scoring.

Light cavalry: You can see everywhere waves of fast and light cavalrymen.
      No barding, no armor. Light lance. Shield optional. Scoring.

Support cavalry: Before the battle begins, the enemy is surrounded and harrassed by agile troops on horse.
      No barding, no armor. Javelin Throwing Weapon. Light Troops, Scout. Not scoring. Counts against “Shooters” category.

Light infantry. It is a wonder to see such a multitude coming from a land which is apparently so scarcely populated.
      Spears. No armor, shield optional. Spear or cutlass. Mediocre Ld. Scoring.
      Option for thrown weapons, not considered as “Shooters”.

Bowmen. Bowmen would sent dense hails of arrows.
      No armor. Regular Bows. Scoring. Counts against “Shooters” category.

Zebus. The cattle is regularly used in battle, to disrupt the opponent before the army gets close.
      Beast. Impact Hits (2), but Off 1, low Ld, may not use the general’s Ld nor BSB reroll. Vanguard. Not scoring. Note: they do not count against “War Animals” category, this is basically the common cattle.
      Special
      King’s Guard. The King is surrounded by a guard all devouted to his personal safety. Bow and lance are the weapons of the Nobles.
      0-1. Mounted Barded cataphract & shield. Cutlass. EDIT: Lance and bow.
      Bodyguard. Scoring.

Mamluks. The most elite infantry is made of slaves, trained since young age exclusively for war.
      Infantry. Light armor. Pair of cutlasses. Bodyguard. High Ld. Scoring.
      Option for Javelin thowing weapons. In that case, count against “Shooters” category.

Amazons. Sometimes, they sent their women in front of the men. And these Amazon often prove to be superior warriors!
      Infantry. No armor, no shield. Two cutlasses. Frenzied (drunk female slaves, historically). Devastating Charge (1). Low Ld. Vanguard. Not scoring.

Elite Bowmen. Beware the arrows: their wounds may seem menial, until you realize they were covered with poison.
      Like Bowmen but with poison arrows and hand weapons. Scoring.

Bush firemen. (those who set fire, not those who extinguish it!). They are experienced in setting controlled fire for agricultural purposes - and sometimes they use this skill against their foes.
      Like the core’s Light infantry, except not scoring, 0-2, and Wizard Conclave [Pyromancy: Cascading Fire, Scorching Salvo].

Mehari Warriors. Camels are used to travel long distance around the approaching foe and suprise his rear.
      Ride Camels. Lance. Option for shield. One single unit may buy Handguns (and then count against shooters). Scoring.
      Camel: Adv 5, Mar 18 (yes, it is relentless!), OS 1, Res 4, fear.
      A Caravan Captain joined by a Mehari get Ambush: declare this during deployment phase before deploying either one.

0-1 Caravan: The wealth of the Empire comes mostly from two goods: salt and gold. These goods attract a lot of greedy invaders.
      4-9 Camels with no rider, plus one single ridden Camel (counts as champion, equipped as a Mehari warrior). Scoring, see special rule below:
      Camel: Adv 5, Mar 18, Off 1, Res 4, fear.
      Must select one option: Salt Caravan (free) or Gold Caravan (cost to be discussed)
      Special rule: The unit counts as securing one (Salt Caravan) or two (Gold Caravan) secondary objective(s) as long as one model remains on the battlefield. If the unit is no longer on the battlefield at the end of the game, the opponent counts one one (Salt Caravan) or two (Gold Caravan) more secondary objective(s) instead
      War Animals
      War tusker: see Mounts. Not scoring.

Lion pack. Young male lion packs sometimes attack armies on the field. One may wonder if these animals have some kind of link with the inhabitants.
      5-10 lions. The Champion is “Brother Lion”, a Human accepted by the pack as leader: Infantryman able to run as quickly as the pack. Light armor, pair of cutlasses. Only the champion may benefit from the influence of the general and the BSB. The unit has Scout. Not scoring.

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

• I like a lot of the ideas but I'm not really convinced by the Objectives stuff with the Gold caravan.
      Or maybe I just didn't get it :(

I was thinking about the correct ratio for historical / fantasy units and stuff.
      If we look at the Empire, it's a mostly historical army but they get griffons, pegasus, dragon, young griffons cavalry, the cabbala chariots, altar of battle, and tank (which is actually more steampunk than fantasy).
      That makes for 4 fantasy mounts and 3 fantasy units

For Equitaine, we have fantasy with Grail Knights, Emerald Knight, Reliquary, pegasus knights, pegasus and hippogriff as mount, and the whole Blessing stuff.
      That is 4 fantasy units, 2 mounts and 1 special rule.

So all in all that makes 7 fantasy stuff in each army (not counting the wizards and priests).

Do we have as many fantasy stuff in Koghi ? I think we're getting a bit too historical and not enough magic.

I like your idea of wizard conclaves with fire, but i'd still like to have an actual bushfire like a moving firewall on the battlefield.
      Maybe the firemen start with a firewall in front themselves when the game starts, and then it moves straight on with random movement ?
      And they'd be free to walk where they want, throwing fireballs.

Camels should have fear only against cavalry, they can be used to make sure Koghi's adversaries don't compete with their own cavalry.

Also why to give Off 2 to Koghi horses when even the underrated horses ridden by Equitaine peasants have normal stats ?
      GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
      First T9A player in West Africa
    • Reworded the Gold caravan, which was not clear indeed. Any better?
      The idea is that the Salt Caravan is worth a single additional Secondary Objective, while the Gold Caravan replaces all the Secondary Objectives.

Note that in that way, the Koghi player gets to control Secondary Objectives. Furthermore, he does so with a highly mobile unit, which is a clear advantage.
      However, this comes at the cost of the Caravan itself which is not likely to participate to any combat.
      The Caravan is pure pts denial, for the fun.

-=-=-
      Historical vs. Fantasy: I would rate more of the EoS as "Fantasy" than you do.
      However, note that all of this Fantasy coomes from "Historical Legends", i.e. everything was described more or less before the 17th Century.

I understand that you wish to go a bit further in the Fantasy, such as what was done with elephants.
      If you knew more African Lore, we could see what we could incorporate - remembering that we need to spread this out onto other Taphrian factions as well, so that not everyone gets all the same goodies and give the feeling that Africa is a single entity with little internal nuances.

The other possibility could be to alter what we have. For example, I added a "Brother Lion" to lions pack, without any historical or legendary reference.

-=-=-
      A moving firewall would be very hard to balance IMO, this is why I tried to use as much as possible existing rules. Maybe you could develop your idea?

-=-=-
      Camels did inspire fear to horses. I thought it would be simpler to use the rule Fear, than to specify Fear to cavalry mounted on horses and chariots pulled by horses. Opinion?

-=-=-
      Koghi horses should be as different to Vetian horses as RL Arab horses are to Shire or Percheron horses.
      I see them to be small and agile, not able to resist a knight in armor.
      Now, if you have other ways to differentiate, why not?

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

• Calisson wrote:

Reworded the Gold caravan, which was not clear indeed. Any better?
      The idea is that the Salt Caravan is worth a single additional Secondary Objective, while the Gold Caravan replaces all the Secondary Objectives.

Note that in that way, the Koghi player gets to control Secondary Objectives. Furthermore, he does so with a highly mobile unit, which is a clear advantage.
      However, this comes at the cost of the Caravan itself which is not likely to participate to any combat.
      The Caravan is pure pts denial, for the fun.

This is very unique. I like it!

-=-=-
      Historical vs. Fantasy: I would rate more of the EoS as "Fantasy" than you do.
      However, note that all of this Fantasy coomes from "Historical Legends", i.e. everything was described more or less before the 17th Century.

I understand that you wish to go a bit further in the Fantasy, such as what was done with elephants.
      If you knew more African Lore, we could see what we could incorporate - remembering that we need to spread this out onto other Taphrian factions as well, so that not everyone gets all the same goodies and give the feeling that Africa is a single entity with little internal nuances.

The other possibility could be to alter what we have. For example, I added a "Brother Lion" to lions pack, without any historical or legendary reference.

Small thought. With a lion, would it be an idea to have a "mount" option where a character gains a lion that hangs around with him? But it wouldn't increase movement as they are not riding on the lion, it is basically a pet/brother to the character.
      It would increase the base size of the character, pump them up by 1 wound and give them a Lion's statline that would attack alongside them and give them fear. Would that be an interesting idea?

-=-=-
      A moving firewall would be very hard to balance IMO, this is why I tried to use as much as possible existing rules. Maybe you could develop your idea?

-=-=-
      Camels did inspire fear to horses. I thought it would be simpler to use the rule Fear, than to specify Fear to cavalry mounted on horses and chariots pulled by horses. Opinion?

I say keep it, but there needs to be a way to make it functional; as there are multiple breeds of horses. Perhaps it should just cause fear in units with harnessed special rule?

-=-=-
      Koghi horses should be as different to Vetian horses as RL Arab horses are to Shire or Percheron horses.
      I see them to be small and agile, not able to resist a knight in armor.
      Now, if you have other ways to differentiate, why not?

Lord of the Hobby

• It seems kinda weird to me for the amazons to not have guns, imo. Are they not based on the Dahomey amazons? I do like the addition of them being drunk, nice addition.

I remember reading about a group of archers in West Africa supposedly tying their legs together to stop anyone from retreating, but that could be difficult to put in the game perhaps.

Maybe some supernatural creatures should be added like Ikaki turtles or something.

Leo africanus mentioned the dependence of the supply of large horses used by Songhai and Borno cavalry in the early sixteenth century upon the supply of slaves to the Barbary states.Dunno if it helps

Peace