True Heirs of Avras: Vermin Swarm alternate army books

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• True Heirs of Avras: Vermin Swarm alternate army books

Auxillary Army Book: Rakatoi
      Auxillary Army book: League of Sicara

So, this is very much a work in progress. I knocked this together quickly today after work in about four hours. It's likely full of spelling errors and inconsistent formatting. It also lacks a proper selection of magical items, those will come as I write them. At least some of them probably from the old Skaven books in some form. Depending on what I think of, there might be a few more options or special rules added too, but I like the basics.

And of course, I want to make a full version with fluff later on. But that'll be time consuming.

Suggestions are welcome.

Changelog
      25.06:
      Expanded list of Rakatoi items

23.2:
      -Added Sicara League army book

15.2:
      -Added Sympathic Coil, Hammer of Envy and Aether Turbine added to Special Equipment.
      -Changed Sacrificial Relay so it can be taken 3 times per army
      -Added option for Thunder Colossus Bodyguard upgrade to Steel Colossus mount
      -Poison attacks removed from Velites, decreased cost per model, moved to special

14.2:
      -Completely rewrote Thunder Colossi, going back to teams of three and giving them back the older edition rule of having all weapons, but only using one.
      -Renamed Cataphract Chariot and Scorpion Chariot (anyone know Roman names for horse archers or similar? Not too happy with Scorpion)
      -Added Sacrificial Relay banner enchantment

13.2: First version uploaded
      "Inter arma enim silent leges."

True Heirs of Avras: Vermin Swarm Auxillary Army books
      Some call it shameless Wishlisting! Some call it an Unplayable Mess! Some ask what is the Point of This! Is it an Auxillary Book? A Copy-paste Ripoff? A Fan Version of an existing Book? See for yourself, citizens!

The post was edited 6 times, last by Eldan ().

• Just a variant army. A sub-branch. Partially a rewrite of VS into something I like better without going too deep into weird rules, partially a list to represent the Rakatoi academy over a more general list of a legion of gens.

Some call it shameless Wishlisting! Some call it an Unplayable Mess! Some ask what is the Point of This! Is it an Auxillary Book? A Copy-paste Ripoff? A Fan Version of an existing Book? See for yourself, citizens!
    • Added a changelog to the first post. A few changes. Got a list of magic items that I'll write up as soon as I can, too.

• My reactions as I read:

HA Rotary gun dies instantly on doubles. That's some risk if you wanted it.
      Do 6s still cause -1 to hit? I think as written it does.

Sacrificial Relay is hilarious. Please make 0-3 so I can bounce shots across the board. Within 12" is cleaner than "if in range" but makes less sense. Maybe word as "Units with Lightning ___ may choose to fire at the unit holding this banner instead of the enemy."

Praetorian Guard doesn't really imply what the model is. Right now it could be anything from a fat rat with the Tyrant strapped to its back to four separate ones holding a litter.

A+ job at resisting the temptation to allow Tunnel Attack to charge. Not many men could be trusted with this power.

I'm all for playing Cygnar rats.

Lightning Legion Overcharge is way too good. Maybe add a scaling mechanism correlated to attacks/hits/wounds caused? The issue is with a large enough unit you can get something like 44 (line form, both banners, best case against 5 wide) attacks hitting on 3s wounding on 4s and having AP4. And only take 3.5 wounds in the process!
      Nevermind, once per game unless you add a way to get charge tokens. In that case it's ok.

I'm really feeling like Special VG is THE way to go in the future. You want hordes? You'll get more models in core if VG aren't there, and you'll get more models out of Special if VG are better/useful than/as VH.

Thought: couldn't we combine Grenadiers and Gutter Blades? Or Velites in your book. They're both ranged skrimishers, and Off 4 isn't going to break Grenadiers in any way.

Your names remind me of AOE1 or RoN (I know hoplites were greek, but still) I want to play this even if only to say that I'm now deploying my Rakatoi Velites.

I don't normally check out this section, especially for VS wishlisters.

But today I did, and I am glad.

Now figure out how to drive this forward legitimately.
      Please leave your assassins at the door.
    • Thank you. Good to hear it's at least fun wishlisting.

Reactions to your reactions:
      I suppose the Rotary Gun is a bit too much. Tone it down, then? And I'll take out the -1 to hit on6s. Never liked that anyway.

0-3 sacrificial relays: of course! 12" was mainly because I didn't want to make it too good (if it was in range, a cannon could pretty much fire anywhere on the board, even around corners). Also, plain 12" doesn't require line of sight or correct facing.

Praetorian Guard are supposed to just be bodyguards. I mean, it's the litter rewritten. But if someone wants to model it as a fat tyrant being carried by slaves, sure.

Lightning Legion overcharge: alternate idea: for every wound they cause in close combat, take a hit back?

Grenadier Velites: I thought about it, but frankly, people already don't like grenadiers. Giving them scout, vanguard and ambush wouldn't endear them to anyone. I'm considering taking poison from the Velites to differentiate them from the Sicarians.

I honestly dont' have a lot of good ideas for items here... the Doomrocket is one I'd really love to have back, but I have no idea how to write that into something useful and not too random. Minefields are another old favourite of mine.

A few quickies that might get in:
      Sympathic Coils: machinist generates a charge whenever a nearby Magnum Opus generates a charge as well.
      Aether turbine: Magic Resistance 1 and generates a charge when an enemy spell fails due to the charge.
      Mallet of Envy: two-handed weapon. Character rerolls to wound against war machines and constructs of all kind. ("YOUR DESIGN IS INFERIOR! I HATE IT!")

Edit: a few open questions to throw out:

Rat Tanks. Were in White Dwarf once, could quickly be written up. Standing on the toes of the empire too much? Too much overlap with the Mechanical Abomination?

Which house next? Sicarians have the best name, but not much unit diversity. But I have plenty of item ideas there, at least. (Hint: Martial Arts.) Plague has the same problem in that they don't have a lot of units. I have ideas there, but I also just don't like that house much. Monster breeders are probably easiest.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Eldan ().

• Since it came out in the discussion that one thing people liked a lot about the Asklanders was that they had small bits of third-person fluff before each entry, I'll do the same here. About halfway through now.

• There. Everything has at least a little bit of fluff now.

Seems there's not actually that much interest in this, though. Shame. I guess I'll leave this as it is, forget the other clans and hope someone else will draw some inspiration at some point.

• Ooh, history, my favourite gift!

Well. I was wondering what to replace the Japanese influences with on the Sicarii. I mean, just from the name, we have Jewish Zealots (world's first organized assassins!), the Sicarius spider and Roman street gangs.

One Jewish Zealot inspired idea would be to give them special slaves called Angry Mobs, enable Sicarii (assassins) to join them and then give them an ability to disengage from the unit and move away as a solitary hero when the slaves break.

Of course, there's still fun to be had with the Ninja influence. (Thousand Talon Strike: an assassin with this martial art has battle focus), but I think something new and interesting fits better.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Eldan ().

• Guelphs and Ghibellines are an interesting idea to take this fluff, certainly. And it allows for tons of political internal meddling.

I mean, just replace Holy Roman Emperor with Princeps of Avras, elector counts and city states with Tyrants, the pope with the Flamen...

I've been looking for a way to have the Vermin Swarm more involved in the world beyond just being a shadowy force of underminers who work to destroy all other civilizations. Too simple. Giving them powerful international merchants and bankers would actually do that very nicely and give them a reason to trade with other nations beyond just slavery and weapons manufacture.

Speaking of weapons manufacture, I can imagine another source of conflict there: the Academy makes all these wonderful guns. The humans and ogres would be itching to buy them. But of course, the Tyrants want to keep their strategic advantage, so there's strict weapons export bans. That should make the merchant houses very unhappy.

So, if we combine this with the Zealot fluff, we could end up with the idea after the fall of Avras to the dirty human crusaders and their unjustified aggression, there was a far-reaching vermin diaspora that established its own city states. Possibly decades or centuries later, the Republic has asserted its power from a new central city. They are of course no longer an Empire, now that they got rid of the Rat King and his lies, but a Republic with a Princeps.
      And yet, many of the outlying city states probably quite enjoyed their independence and trade opportunities without central government interfering in business all the time. So they would quietly hire assassins to do away with any troublesome Republican governors that would try to impose things like taxes or tariffs.

That would make them the most human-friendly faction of the Swarm, too. Yes, Avras thbe a nice city to have, but the fall is fifty rat generations ago and really, life is good in the cities we have.

Throw in some inspiration from Venice, as well. Venice not only had the world's largest spy network (diplomats would go to Venice to find out what other world courts were doing), they also successfully managed to crash the entire European currency system, bankrupt two dozen other countries and get rich doing it.

Yes, I think that's something that could be workable.

Plus, making them Merchant Houses would allow them to bring more units than just footpads, Velites and Sicarii, in the form of City Militia units. None of the big techy toys, but at least slaves and rats at arms.

• Just spitballing some rules, based on the idea of a mixed merchant city state/assassin army:

Bribery:
      Choose one enemy unit before deployment. That unit must take a leadership test or take [penalties].

Probably to offensive skill and maybe leadership.

Poisoned Supplies:

Choose one enemy core infantry unit before deployment. That unit takes 1d6 toxic hits.

Basic troops: city militia. Badly trained, but expensively equipped. Rats at arms with options on halberds and heavy armor.

Footpads with slings

Going with more of an Italian city state theme: crossbow variant of Jezzails? Arbalest?

• Have you seen the new rules for the game 'gangs of rome' ?

Some fun influence there.

Basically the assasins and maybe gutter blades would get a defensive bonus by being near other rats (hidden in the mob, they are good at using the crowd to their advantage on the street and on the battlefield).

It would be really cool if you could 'teleport' assasins around regiments if they are within a certain distance (like moving with the crowd).
      That way you wouldn't have to worry about them being left in the open.

Head of Lectors

Quick Starter Team

• Not familiar, no. Are the tules online somewhere?

The easiest "teleport" would be to allow them to freely join and leave units, even from snd into combat.

• Great book with a smart sprinkling of overcharges and brilliant concepts, such as the Magnum Opus and the Lightning Legion. When exactly does the Legion remove its Toxic Attack casualties?

Regarding the Hammer of Envy's name: careful, Envy is a Dark God now :)

Eldan wrote:

anyone know Roman names for horse archers or similar? Not too happy with Scorpion
      Equites Sagittarius (plural Sagittarii but you know it). Some more names: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_army_unit_types

You could also use Greek ballista names like Oxybeles or Polybolos.
      For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
    • What's the better motto for a league of city states ruled by rats:

"Pecuniate obediunt omnia", Latin for "All things obey money"

or

"Belle parole non pascon i ratti", Italian for "Fine words won't feed the rats"

• League of Sicara auxillary book rough draft. Probably splitting the assassin into two unit entries and inventing a few more items and special rules here and there. Also, no unit fluff yet on most of them. Also, got some more magic item ideas.