Final Review of the Ring of the Pearl Throne

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Teowulff wrote:

Dorac's Protection (25 pts)
    Cannot be taken by Gigantic models.
    Suits of Armour enchantment.
    The wearer gains +1 Armour and And Attacks distributed onto the bearer suffer -1 Offensive Skill.

.. for example

This allow more builds for mounted characters based arround dragonforged armour and diadem of protection.
    We gain 10pts compared to basalt infusion.

Note that it only ALLOOOOWWWWW moooore builds because we gain 10pts.
    Diadem 85
    Your Dorac 25

I still can't pay the ring of the pearl, or the nova flare, or the sliver. So ... Doesn't change a lot xD

The ring of the pearl is not that bad but the price doesn't give enough protections as playing a GW is almost mandatory with this item.
  • Aglion wrote:

Teowulff wrote:

The wearer gains +1 Armour and And Attacks distributed onto the bearer suffer -1 Offensive Skill.

.. for example
    This allow more builds for mounted characters based arround dragonforged armour and diadem of protection.

Diadem 85
    Your Dorac 25

I still can't pay the ring of the pearl, or the nova flare, or the sliver. So ... Doesn't change a lot xD
    It's not meant as anything revolutionary but as something generically useful if you have some spare points left on any character (except towering).

- It's cheaper than Basalt so you can take it if you have 25-30 spare points; for instance a BSB can combine it with Navigator's or Becalming (Basalt can not) or Elu's Heartwood;
    - minus 1 OS and 10 less points is actually better than Basalt when used with dragonforged (so also on OotFH) and you don't pay double for fireborn (so you get more for less);
    - you can have cheap +1 AS on two characters (one basalt, one this one);
    - minus 1 OS may just give the edge when defending (be hit on 5s) and synergizes with Navigator's, Cosmology and Divination (and Frosty).
    This forum need polls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Playing/painting: SA, DE & HbE ..

The post was edited 1 time, last by Teowulff ().

• Aglion wrote:

Teowulff wrote:

.. for example

Diadem 85
    Your Dorac 25

The ring of the pearl is not that bad but the price doesn't give enough protections as playing a GW is almost mandatory with this item.
    I'm giving my Queens Cavalier (+1 Attack and Fear) Prince (on foot) A Spear (+2 Agil, +1 AP when charged) +Sliver of the Blazing Dawn (S+1, AP+2, all hits count as 2 each) and the Pearl Ring ( to negate any armour buff ). Dragonforged Armour, Longbow and a Shield.
    Gives him 5(when charging) Attacks (minimum, could double!) at Strength 5, Armour penetration 4 (recieving a Charge). Agility 10.

high-elves Prince.jpg
    Failure is not an option.
  • Borjnfer Wraith wrote:

I'm giving my Queens Cavalier (+1 Attack and Fear) Prince (on foot) A Spear (+2 Agil, +1 AP when charged) +Sliver of the Blazing Dawn (S+1, AP+2, all hits count as 2 each) and the Pearl Ring ( to negate any armour buff ). Dragonforged Armour, Longbow and a Shield.
    Gives him 5(when charging) Attacks (minimum, could double!) at Strength 5, Armour penetration 4 (recieving a Charge). Agility 10.
    I faced a similar build in a unit of spears with my DE dread judges. HBE had fleet commander at that time so got a reform when I hit him in flank.

His dude killed 6 dread judges out of 30. I swung back, killed him real quick, decimated his unit under steadfast. He broke and I ran him down with truth in time spell.

That HBE lord with sliver of dawn was JUDGED! And was found to be not good enough!
  • Peacemaker wrote:

Borjnfer Wraith wrote:

I faced a similar build in a unit of spears with my DE dread judges. HBE had fleet commander at that time so got a reform when I hit him in flank.
    His dude killed 6 dread judges out of 30. I swung back, killed him real quick, decimated his unit under steadfast. He broke and I ran him down with truth in time spell.

That HBE lord with sliver of dawn was JUDGED! And was found to be not good enough!
    Nice story. Kudos to your 30 Judges. Probibly the best offensive unit in Elfdom, especially when they get the charge bonus.
    The Fleet Officer is a weak trait, and still is. That is why I'm going with the Queens Cavalier. It was either the QC or the RH for the addition of the Lions Fur. I chose to go with the aditional attack and fear attribute.
    Failure is not an option.
  • The old reform rule was worth it IMO. QC is worth it but you can't always get the charge, which is fleet officer was a viable choice.

Judge Dreads are pretty deadly, especially with Banner of Blood for the extra attack. I think I killed every Enemy general in that Tourny with the Judges. Even in the games I lost.

I did succeed in my personal goal of putting the Dread back in Dread Elves. Lol.
  • Hey there. Bit late to the party.

I like the idea behind Ring of the Pearl Throne, but being able to cancel out enemy equipment is inconsistent (either equipment affected or characters to affect) and not fun to play against.

My suggestion would be to make Ring of the Pearl Throne have the bound spell Drain Magic. Would give a character more flexibility in what they can debuff (or remove debuffs from your own guys) and would give HbE an interesting counterpick to magic heavy armies. Not sure how much this would effect the price, Asfad Scholar is 90 points but is intended to be added to an already 375 point investment. So my guestimation for this RPT would be 60-90 points.
  • KittenHugz wrote:

I like the idea behind Ring of the Pearl Throne, but being able to cancel out enemy equipment is inconsistent (either equipment affected or characters to affect) and not fun to play against.
    please elaborate.
    having unfun things in the game is of great concern.

do others feel this way?
  • Peacemaker wrote:

having unfun things in the game is of great concern.
    Truth.
    I think the best way to explain unfun is anything in the game that makes the other player's choices not matter.

A great example of this working well is Pyromancy vs Fortitude. Sure Fortitude is negated by fire damage, making Pyromancy a great counter to units with Fortitude, but Pyromancy requires magic dice investment, can be counterspelled, and otherwise nullified by engaging the caster or killing it. Even though Pyromancy "counters" Fortitude, there is still gameplay involved with how the interaction manifests.

The example I think of unfun is Pyromancy vs Dragonforged Armor. Here the character or unit is practically immune to fire damage and the only counterplay for the pyromancer is to avoid them or hope they get extremely unlucky. So the Dragonforged armor counters pyromancy leaving no options in game for how to react to it.

Ring of the Pearl Throne as it currently is leans on the unfun end of the spectrum. At best, it's annoying, removing a killy weapon and making a fight take longer than it should. At worst, you might as well remove the model from the table (negating basalt infusion from a pharaoh, flaming standard on hand is the example I've played out). The counterplay to Ring of the Pearl Throne boils down to 2 options, A: kill the bearer without the benefit of the item (so why was it needed?) or B: avoid the bearer for the duration of the game (armies with only 1 character come to mind). Ring of the Pearl Throne is a 100 point gamble for HbE that has the potential to delete a character or 2 (maybe) or more likely it will be entirely useless. So again, it will either be unfun for your opponent, or unfun for you.
  • Or champ challenge, or win on static Res, or have counter charges ready, or tarpit the model that has the ring. Or potion of swiftness for some models, or set your own traps for the model, Or if Ur orcs use the minotok banner!

Movement is the only phase where you have real control and can plan good counterplay.

I don't think the ring was taken to ETC? Should be a sign that the item isn't functional.

Also Why would you target rhyma knights with pyromancy? Every other unit takes serious casualties from pyro.

I think the ring does need to change (to what I don't know!) But not for the reasons you have stated.
    death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain
  • I don't play in any tournaments, I am first and foremost a casual player.
    This effects how I use items and how I see them played out.
    In the games I've been in, 1 of 5 Ring of the Pearl Throne was a giant middle finger to the enemy (undying dynasties), the other 4 times I tried to make it work it was at best an annoyance and at worst did nothing.

From what I've seen of RotPT, I'm not surprised no one took it to ETC.

My issue with Dragonforged armour is that the answer to it for a pyromancer is "avoid it". It's not gamebreaking, but to have an entire unit that avoids fire damage that characters have to pay 20+ points for is a lot of defensive power packed into one unit entry.
  • I like the concept of the ring, but dislike the execution.

Pros:
    • It's really good when an enemy character relies on a single magical item and cannot function without it. Best case scenario is probably against a VS Tyrant with Secrets of the Doom Blade.
    • Sometimes it can allow you to kill an enemy character before they get to swing by negating their protection.
    • Other times, taking away a magical item such as Sliver of the Blazing Dawn, Reaper's Harvest or any weapon which does multiple wounds can be enough to give your character a much better chance of sticking around.
    • There's the occasional Magic Banner which is worth turning off.
    Cons:
    • It only works if you can get into BTB with an enemy character.
    • It costs enough that taking it cripples your offense or defense or both.
    • Sometimes an enemy character will have multiple vital items and turning off only one won't help enough.
    • Greater Demons, Vampire Counts, WotDG Characters and Vermin Demons will probably stomp you anyway because their stats and abilites are just that good even without magical items.
    • It has no effect on killy mounts. Beware Dragons, Carnosaurs, Coven Thrones and Divine Altars for Highborn Elves taste good with ketchup, have the sweetest blood and make the best sacrifices.
    • Worst of all, in the all too-likely case where the RotPT isn't negating magical items or screwing with enemy plans it's a waste of 100pts of worth of magical allowance.
    In short, it's currently far too situational for a 100 point item.
  • Phoenix wrote:

I like the concept of the ring, but dislike the execution.

Pros:
    • It's really good when an enemy character relies on a single magical item and cannot function without it. Best case scenario is probably against a VS Tyrant with Secrets of the Doom Blade.
    • Sometimes it can allow you to kill an enemy character before they get to swing by negating their protection.
    • Other times, taking away a magical item such as Sliver of the Blazing Dawn, Reaper's Harvest or any weapon which does multiple wounds can be enough to give your character a much better chance of sticking around.
    • There's the occasional Magic Banner which is worth turning off.
    Cons:
    • It only works if you can get into BTB with an enemy character.
    • It costs enough that taking it cripples your offense or defense or both.
    • Sometimes an enemy character will have multiple vital items and turning off only one won't help enough.
    • Greater Demons, Vampire Counts, WotDG Characters and Vermin Demons will probably stomp you anyway because their stats and abilites are just that good even without magical items.
    • It has no effect on killy mounts. Beware Dragons, Carnosaurs, Coven Thrones and Divine Altars for Highborn Elves taste good with ketchup, have the sweetest blood and make the best sacrifices.
    • Worst of all, in the all too-likely case where the RotPT isn't negating magical items or screwing with enemy plans it's a waste of 100pts of worth of magical allowance.
    In short, it's currently far too situational for a 100 point item.

I'm not exactly happy with this ring:

1. efficiency: you pay 100 points to neutralize something worth .. most probably below 75 points?
    2. circumstantial: when using it on on-foot characters it can be quite a challenge to utilize it at all, or the opponent has no good target for the ring
    3. you only have 100-200 points of allowance, the incentive to pick the ring above other very useful stuff isn't exactly very strong

.. yet you pay for it as if you meet the ideal circumstances every match.

So .. I'd love it to be replaced by a cheap generic useful item. Please.
    Less extremely specific items in the army book for which you pay the full price, more affordable overall useful items (as I proposed in post 40).
    This forum need polls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Playing/painting: SA, DE & HbE ..